Thread: Questions on Slide Films

Default Questions on Slide Films

Hi,

I just remembered to drop this questions on this forum. When I was to buy my first slide film, I was confounded by a variety of slide film products available in the market. Even one make could come out with different products: velvia, provia, astia for Fuji; Ektachrome, elite chrome

I believe they serve different purposes. I've searched the net regarding their purposes and intended use but could not find satisfactory answer. Could anyone enlighten me regarding this? Thanks for reading !!

Regards

The main difference lies in their colour rendition and saturation. Velvia is extremely saturated and is suited more for nature and landscape work to give the extra punch. Provia and Astia are more accurate in their colour rendition and isn't as vivid. Here's a quick guide:
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...eferences.html

Generally saying, Velvia 50/100 is great for wildlife, landscape, buildings, very sharp and high contrast and of course saturated and vivid. Provia100F/400F is sharp (not as sharp as Velvia 50), like a general purpose slide but can have different output depending on the weather. Astia is less contrast, neutral colour and extremely fine grain, very good for portrait.

There are some comparison here, click the url, look at the bottom:
    http://www.gustafson.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    The main difference lies in their colour rendition and saturation. Velvia is extremely saturated and is suited more for nature and landscape work to give the extra punch. Provia and Astia are more accurate in their colour rendition and isn't as vivid. Here's a quick guide:
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...eferences.html
    What about Kodak Ektachrome / Elite chrome?

Seems like everybody using and recommending Fuji these days, including me. I used to assume that Kodak was “best” – because I out of touch with photography for many years. But after reading reviews etc swtiched to Fuji.

Anybody has experience to share about Kodak slides?

I started using kodak elite chrome 100 first... i thought they were pretty good....till I used the velvia.

now i can't switch back....

was using kodak then provia and velvia...switched to astia...very happy with astia.

..kodak sux..

Quote Originally Posted by boochap
    ..kodak sux..
    Ah so!

This must be why my recent slides look better – colours seem more lively, more details, etc – than my old slides which seem flat in comparison.

Last time I used Kodak, now Fuji.