Thread: Will you sell your work?

Default Will you sell your work?

I saw alot of images here has high chances of using in print work on mag/products/brochures/etc, like imagebank pictures... So do CSer sell their picture to company? " I refer to those hobbies taken pictures"

Whats the range like? " Cause I might wanna buy from you all next time "
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

Since you've asked, I've just told a pic a few weeks ago to an insurance company for US$1817 to be used for display in a trade show.

The rest is closely guarded commercial secret. You have to kill me to reveal it.
    Last edited by Sion; 26th February 2005 at 03:06 AM.

The range varies really. Depends on what you want to use it for. It can be as low as USD$500 and above. There is no limit on how much a photo is worth but there is a minimum amount on how much a photo you should be selling.

it's art. so difficult to gauge. depends on the usage. for example in our local market, the photos taken by us may sometimes be use only in brochure but if the company that hired you to shoot is planning to use your photos again on a bigger scale advertisement (bus panel, mrts, newspaper and tv commercial), there is a levy fee which they need to pay you.

Nominal amount for levy fee is 5% of the total production amount. So if their production is about $500,000, you get about $25,000 commercial rights/royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by zerofour
    I saw alot of images here has high chances of using in print work on mag/products/brochures/etc, like imagebank pictures... So do CSer sell their picture to company? " I refer to those hobbies taken pictures"

Whats the range like? " Cause I might wanna buy from you all next time "
    Any photo you want to buy just PM the CSer for a price.

The only problem I could see is whether the photo is shot at high enough resolution to be used for print publication.

Blog Entries

Firstly what do you mean by sell?

Do you want to buy over the copyright of the image?
    or do you just want to use it for a specific purpose?

The prices differ.

$$$$ i sell, who wants to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    $$$$ i sell, who wants to buy?
    Hahah...Good to see someone is prepared to pay for our photos and someone is selling his photos rather than giving them away FOC.

Welcome to the new era of fair trading!

"You can't shoot on an empty tummy." - Jacky Chen.

Haha... Sion & Pro Image are like a pro on selling his work hmm.... the price range here is high then imagesbank or lower?
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

Blog Entries

If you just want usage instead of outright buy over if copyrights, I'll gladly match imagebank or gettyimages

Of course it depends on the picture quality. Impossible to repeat shots will cost more.

Will I sell my work? Why not? I have even sold my soul.

Haha... Sion & Pro Image are like a pro on selling his work hmm.... the price range here is high then imagesbank or lower?
    It's not we are pro or not. This is about someone's creative work being put to use. As mentioned earlier. There is a price for every piece of artwork we produce. No matter how simple our image or work maybe, we still need to charge if our images are reuse again.

That is why someitmes image bank/photo library has all the copyright issue being written clearly. As a photographer, I will decide whether the photo I am selling to an imagebank company should be catogerised under Royalty Free or Copyright Managed.

It's really up to each and every individual.

I think price is normally caculated by factors such as MB size of the photo, how you are going to use it eg. editorial or advertisement (later will cost more), print run, territory, lenght of use, exclusivity etc.

I assume price range here varies as someone in another thread mentions about getting US$70 over 2 months from a $0.20 per download site.

I am not a pro but I like to give up my boring mindless day job to concentrate on producing more photos. When the day comes I'll change my nick to "Pro Photo".

One thing being able to sell your works doesn't necessarily mean you're a great photographer. It means you have the right photos the buyers want to use and there'll be hot soup, meat and rice on dinner table.
    Last edited by Sion; 27th February 2005 at 04:34 AM.

Most photogs will sell their ownership, if a fair price is given & he knows where his photos will be used. This is my own opinion.

If your photo can fetch a price, at least you know its worth. Rather than u keep it and think it is priceless...haha
    Dun bluff yourself.

Too bad mine is really 'priceless' (as in $0)...

will sell, but definitely not at $0.20 per DL.

Quote Originally Posted by obewan
    Most photogs will sell their ownership, if a fair price is given & he knows where his photos will be used. This is my own opinion.

If your photo can fetch a price, at least you know its worth. Rather than u keep it and think it is priceless...haha
    Dun bluff yourself.

Too bad mine is really 'priceless' (as in $0)...
    Sorry for a newbie stupid Q. How do you sell owership? By signing some black and white papers?

Quote Originally Posted by MonteC
    Sorry for a newbie stupid Q. How do you sell owership? By signing some black and white papers?
    Don't worry. It's not a stupid Q. Yes any photolibrary/imagebank will need to produced a letter to state what kind of ownership of your photos. You will need to decide which to choose.

There is couple of ways. Ownership with Copyright Manage and another is Royalty Free. So it's up to you.

I have sold many of my aviation images. Depending on its use, prices have ranged from US$50 to US$300 for royalty free use.

Drop a note if you need aviation related shots.

OT a bit, but a related question: How do you guys get your works KNOWN in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by yaoxing
    OT a bit, but a related question: How do you guys get your works KNOWN in the first place?
    Doing a lot of research, spend a lot of energy and time looking for lobangs and making a lot of mistakes along the way.

I like to say there is a short cut. But there is none at least for me.

is there a website you can go to to upload and sell your photos?