Thread: Which flash to take concert photos?

Question Which flash to take concert photos?

Hi all ,

I am very new here. I want to know how to choose flash for concert photos. Since not much of light there. Am goin to use my Minolta Dynax 5 with 300mm lens and buy the flash soon.
    Any suggestion which type should I buy for concert photos?
    Program Flash 5600HS(D) or 3600HS(D) or Macro Twin Flash 2400 or Marco Ring Flash 1200 ?? Or any other? I only get those models from minolta website..

Thank u

Quote Originally Posted by coolc4rol
    Hi all ,

I am very new here. I want to know how to choose flash for concert photos. Since not much of light there. Am goin to use my Minolta Dynax 5 with 300mm lens and buy the flash soon.
    Any suggestion which type should I buy for concert photos?
    Program Flash 5600HS(D) or 3600HS(D) or Macro Twin Flash 2400 or Marco Ring Flash 1200 ?? Or any other? I only get those models from minolta website..

Thank u
    How far are you away from the main stage?

use flash extender if u r more than 25m away. roughly.

Blog Entries

don't use flash. the flash will kill the concert lights.

use fast film and fast lens with a steady hand
    push process to 3200

BTW what kind of concert are you talking about?
    Does it have a super bright spotlight?
    Last edited by ortega; 26th February 2005 at 12:54 AM.

Depends on what type of concert, as ortega mentioned, flash may overpower the ambient light and kill the mood. At 300mm, I assume you're quite some distance from the stage, may need a powerful flash.

NB: Macro flash is not what you're looking for, they're more for macro photography.

erm.. isn't ring flash for macro or close up shots?
    anyway, minolta isn't the only company that manufactures flashes. There are many other brands out there, you can try Metz or Sunpak. Just pop down to any camera shop with your camera and ask which flash will work on your camera. you din't state which brand you using so I suppose you using Minolta thats' why you went to minolta website?

IMO, i don't think you should buy a flash JUST for this concert event, you'll need it in future for other events.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Concert pics will look more natural and colorful without flash cos the
    spot lights are strong and very bright.

Deregistered

If you really need a flash look no further than the Metz 60 CT4 Hammerhead flash gun. Use ISO 400 or 800, you can be 60m or more from he stage and still get good result. But I doubt the performers would like you. It's really quite bright burst, I used it as a ad hog studio lights when on location shoot when electricity is not available.
    Last edited by tommon; 27th February 2005 at 11:17 PM.

hi all..

Thank you for your advises.. xie xie..arigatoo!

I come to conclusion if I will be around 20mtrs from the stage.. and no spotlight..will take Metz 60 CT4 Hammerhead flash gun.. anyway the performer doesn't know me..
    then if there are spotlights..I wont use flash..with ISO 800??

Ortega.. what do you mean by push process to 3200??

hi all..

I come to conclusion if I will be around 20mtrs from the stage.. and no spotlight..will take Metz 60 CT4 Hammerhead flash gun.. anyway the performer doesn't know me..

Push process means to ask the printer to develop the negative for a longer time to get the picture you want. However, the bad thing is not all developer does push processing. Another thing is the pushed film will look more grainy. Also not all flim can be pushed properly.

Take for example you use a ISO400 flim and you push to ISO3200, it means when you take your picture, you are allowed to have 3 stop underexposed from your normal exposure.

Blog Entries

hi all..

The not so blurblock has answered.

Back in the old days I used a film called Ektarpress 1600, it has an ISO of 1600 and I pushed it to 3200, RGB does it. The results were great.

Thank u blurblock.. So meaning I use ISO 800 but develop process with 3200? Hm interesting...
    I think I need to take some photography course...and take more night pics hehe..

PS: saw your albums..i like the vesak day event... those kids look very cute...
    Last edited by coolc4rol; 28th February 2005 at 02:47 PM.

Thank u blurblock.. So meaning I use ISO 800 but develop process with 3200? Hm interesting...
    I think I need to take some photography course...and take more night pics hehe..

PS: saw your albums..i like the vesak day event... those kids looks very cute...
    Thanks ....

You can push 2 stops, no problem, but then you have to choose pretty good flims to do that too .....

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    The not so blurblock has answered.

Back in the old days I used a film called Ektarpress 1600, it has an ISO of 1600 and I pushed it to 3200, RGB does it. The results were great.

hm.. nice.. great concert pic.. wish me luck.. thank u ortega..

Blog Entries

Default Good luck!

hm.. nice.. great concert pic.. wish me luck.. thank u ortega..
    Best of luck in your shoot, just remember to post.
    BTW that's INXS and he is dead already.
    If you need to use flash, try to get some ambient light in as well.
    The atmosphere will make or break a great picture.

most flashes will do the job... like said....we try not to kill the ambient light in such situations...

it will help if u use ya flash as a fill in instead... this will help u achieve better skin tones and better exposed shots rather than shooting ambient straight..

i would also recommend setting the flash manually.... for better exposure....

cheers....