Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scanning slides to CD - advice needed

Wah, this is a good idea for slides users.

Admin:
    Any idea if a slide forum is probable for people like me, non-digital freak?

I think those places are operator dependent lah, unless they use flatbed scanners, which are crap for slides!

If you are very particular about scan quality, the best way is to make time and scan it yourself. Be picky and chose only those that you really wanna archive.

Choose high-end film scanners from either Minolta (mine's the Dimage Scan Multi PRO) or Nikon, with VERY IMPORTANTLY, make sure the scanner has a dynamic range of AT LEAST 4.0 (to capture tonal range of slides), with 16 bit output.

ICE and GEM features in a scanner are also useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplift
    I think those places are operator dependent lah, unless they use flatbed scanners, which are crap for slides!

If you are very particular about scan quality, the best way is to make time and scan it yourself.

Thanks for advice. One reason for me posting the thread is to try and avoid the “investment” in time and money in a good slide scanner. Or, worst still, to buy one and discover that the difference is not a lot and not worth it.

But if the quality difference justifies it, guess I will have to start saving up or buying 4-D

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSeah
    What I will do is this:

1. Check out Kek.

2. Get him to scan those few slides that I did at Fotohub Bt Timah and OUB

3. Post all three versions for you guys to compare.
    Visited Kek yesterday. He said his machine optimised for negatives, does not recommend slides.

I was going to throw a few dollars and ask him to scan and see how, but he did for me a FREE preview. Nice guy he is.

Yucks! It turned out horrible! Colour, exposure, everything way, way off! Kek said he would not want to do scans like that and charge people money.

BUT... Kek also has a drum scanner (Imacon - correct spelling?) and the scan quality was truly excellent.

He charges $10 per scan. If you think this is expensive, most other people I know charge at least $25!

So if ever you need a super high quality scan, perhaps to print a gigantic poster, go visit him. Worth the trip to Bedok North Ave 4, Blk 89 #01-101

Hi Richard,

So I guess you might want a KM DS IV or Nikon CS IV/V instead? Seems like that is the way for me rather. That is really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Hi Richard,

So I guess you might want a KM DS IV or Nikon CS IV/V instead? Seems like that is the way for me rather. That is really bad.
    Ya. Seems like that is best solution.
    Got to start saving up or looking for ways to earn more money

Quote Originally Posted by RichardSeah

He charges $10 per scan. If you think this is expensive, most other people I know charge at least $25!

So if ever you need a super high quality scan, perhaps to print a gigantic poster, go visit him. Worth the trip to Bedok North Ave 4, Blk 89 #01-101
    hi, sorry for being suaku...but $10 is for 1 pic or 1 roll?

Deregistered

Try 35mm for slides, had my Astia100 and E100VS scanned by him, good replica.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystix
    hi, sorry for being suaku...but $10 is for 1 pic or 1 roll?
    Hello Suaku,

It's ok, all of us suaku at one time.

It's $10 for one pix! This is very high resolution scan, file size can be more than 100MB. Most places charge at least $25, some places charge very much more.

For just “high” resolution, called 16-base, it is about $2.50 per pix or $18 per roll at Fotohub, image size approx 3000 x 2000 pixels.

Lower resolution, called 4-base is cheaper, $1+ per pix, about $12 per roll.

Prices approximate. Cannot remember exact.

By the way, ESPN, how to contact 35mm? I might want to get some slides scanned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12