Have some issues to discuss about scanning slides to CD - mainly, which places offer good quality scans?
My experience is this: When I first started to send my slides for scanning, I went to various photo developing places, eg along Orchard Road. Quality was TEROK! Colours, exposure, etc, totally off.
eg pix with main colour red and slight bluish tint became very blue with reddish tint. Many pixs dark until cannot see, especially with Kodakchrome slides.
In one case, when I complained, the shop owner could not even tell the difference. He honestly believed (or he was good actor) that the slides scans and originals were very close.
Later, someone told me that these places, even though have expensive digital machines, inside the machines only have cheap flatbed scanner! Not sure if true, but believeable.
Eventually, I found Fotohub and the quality was best of all I tried so far, so I stuck with them. But I sent mainly old slides for scanning, new pixs were taken with negatives.
Recently, I started taking slides again. This time I realised that even Fotohub quality not that great.
Problem seems to be with the outlet. I usually go to OUB and they are ok, but they don't process slides. So I send to Bt Timah and the slide scans turn out very dark and dull - eg shiny objects no longer shiny. I needed to do a lot of Photoshop adjustments. Some still no good after adjustments - maybe my Photoshop skills not good enough.
When I complained, they said this is normal, slide scans usually darker. Once, they even told me that slides normally viewed with backlight therefore always appear brighter than they really are.
But.... when I sent the same slides for re-scanning at OUB, they came out much better. Some even slightly too bright! Anyway this time, minimal PS adjustments needed.
Despite the improvement, I still see that original slides are quite significantly better than the scans.
1. Any of you have similar / different experiences to share?
2. Where else in town can get good scans? One CS member offers low cost, high res scans at Bedok and some have given good reviews. But he is at Bedok and not even near interchange, got to take feeder bus. If no car very troublesome.
There was some discussion about KT (name correct?) near Chinatown Complex offering good quality prints. Do they do good scans as well?
3. Is there a big difference between doing it personally with slide scanner like Nikon Coolscan vs sending to professional labs - which may have better equipment but everything done by employees who have no time to check individual pixs?
4. Is there big difference (in quality, price sure got big difference) between the mid-price slide scanners like Nikon V vs high end scanners like Nikon 5000? Or is the skill of the person doing it more important?
4a How about difference between new and older models, eg Nikon V vs III which some people here were selling cheap. Even if there is a difference, would using a Nikon III and doing scan personally still be better than sending to a lab?
5. Any photo clubs with slide scanner that members can use, either free or for a small fee?
6. Any other points to consider?
Your input, sharing and advice much appreciated. Thanks.