Thread: Need recommendations : Hard Case for camera gear.

Default Need recommendations : Hard Case for camera gear.

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a Hard Case so I can transport all my gear to shoots, preferably something with wheels and a handle so my wife can use it too (too heavy for her to carry) Need to be able to carry a DSLR Body with Grip, Some lenses, Tripod, Flash, Laptop & cables etc.

I looked at Cathay and they have the "Wonderful Safety Cases" but I cant find any reviews or literature recommending them, Does anyone have any experience with these cases ? I also saw a LOT of Pelican cases on B & H Photo but I dont know if anyone here sells them.

If anyone could share experiences or offer advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.. Ben.

Just do a search for pelican here on CS. Discussed quite a bit.
    Alpha

Default Re: Need recommendations : Hard Case for camera gear.

Thanks .. found the Sticky for Artworkphoto. Exactly what I was looking for.

Pelican and similar type cases not suitable if the user is not strong. Because you will be carry it up steps and stairs still. An airline compliance sized soft case roller is about 1.5kg but the equivalent pelican 1510 itself weights 6kg. Plus gear it can go up to more than 20kg. When it hits your shin during carrying it will bruise you. When it hits a plywood wall it puts a dent there.

I recommend the think tank or Lowepro rollers instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Pelican and similar type cases not suitable if the user is not strong. Because you will be carry it up steps and stairs still. An airline compliance sized soft case roller is about 1.5kg but the equivalent pelican 1510 itself weights 6kg. Plus gear it can go up to more than 20kg. When it hits your shin during carrying it will bruise you. When it hits a plywood wall it puts a dent there.

I recommend the think tank or Lowepro rollers instead.
    Thanks JasonB, I'll check those other brands out.

I do realize these cases aren't going to make the load weigh any less.. (obviously) and I'm aware of stairs, but I'd say 80% of the time carrying this stuff I'd be able to use the wheels and roll the case with the pull handle. Thats a big help to my wife, she will find it a hell of a lot easier rolling the bag 95% of the way to a shoot and then only having to lift up the stairs as opposed to carrying the whole lot all of the way. Plus these cases offer good protection should the bag get dropped. At the moment we just have soft shoulder bags.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benjicon View Post
    Thanks JasonB, I'll check those other brands out.

I do realize these cases aren't going to make the load weigh any less.. (obviously) and I'm aware of stairs, but I'd say 80% of the time carrying this stuff I'd be able to use the wheels and roll the case with the pull handle. Thats a big help to my wife, she will find it a hell of a lot easier rolling the bag 95% of the way to a shoot and then only having to lift up the stairs as opposed to carrying the whole lot all of the way. Plus these cases offer good protection should the bag get dropped. At the moment we just have soft shoulder bags.

Thanks again.
    20kg roller is not easy to move around. Just imagine a fully loaded hardcase check in luggage. Hard cases like Wonderful or Pelican are only used when you are transporting gear overseas or through very bad conditions (like check in for flights, back of a safari jeep, packed with road cases in a van) where you expect rough handling. These hard cases offer very good shock protection but on the other hand they are heavy, hard to move around and cannot fit much gear.

So you really need to understand your needs and see if these cases are the right thing for you. And 20kg pelican or wonderful on wheels is not going to be easy for your wife to move around.

In the meantime you should at least take a look at these. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...mera-bags.aspx
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th November 2012 at 07:05 AM.