Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

Quote Originally Posted by tupselva View Post
    Hi Silvermoon,

Yes., I have definitely decided not to switch to FF., at least not now... Your point of FF being heavy is very true and Im not comfortable to carry such heavy gears at this point of time...
    For now., I fully want to use my current crop body and only try some different lenses...
    What I was considering is to buy new lenses that are compatible with FF bodies...I believe this 17-55 is not compatible with FF...If not for this issue, I would for sure consider this lens (17-55). In fact, earlier also I was so curious to buy 10-22mm., but then, because of the FF-incompatibility, I dropped that idea....But of course, these two lenses are too good...there is no denying that...

Im of the opinion that 70-200 would be really helpful., but could you pls. elaborate as to why you feel that may not be needed for a crop body ? Appreciate your time and response. Thanks!!
    Most FF lenses does not come cheap. And for the range of 17-55 to be replaced by EF lenses, I don't think you can find such a direct replacement. As on the FF, it's equivalent will be something like 24-xxx. Which on the crop body isn't very wide.

That is unless you are looking at the lenses you mentioned earlier 17-40/16-35. Even so, I would rather suggest you look for 2nd hand 17-55 instead, since 17-55 comes with IS while both 17-40 and 16-35 doesn't.

And in regards to 70-200, there is no right or wrong to whether you want to use that lens on crop or on FF. It's only the matter of need. *I quite like the 70-200 on crop, since it gives me a lot of reach as compared to FF.* And you also said that you are not comfortable to carry heavy gears ATM, fyi, 70-200 f2.8 weighs ~1.4kg (and the IS II version costs ~3k, non-IS cheaper abit)...

If you are trying to think thru the upgrade/new acquisitions of lens...
    - Identify what you want (more reach? macro? or large aperture?) *be truthful to yourself. If you have no clue, DON'T BUY ANYTHING!*
    - If looking at image quality upgrade, what are the FL you usually use. E.g. If you want to replace your 18-55 for better IQ, but most of the time when you shoot, 20-50mm is enough, then a upgrade may be 17-55 or even 15-85.

Considering that you are going to FF, When are you moving there? 1 yrs, 2 yrs time? During this period of time, perhaps you could have got a 2nd hand lens and enjoyed using it for this period of time and sell it off at little loss when you eventually move to FF.

That said (as also like I mentioned earlier), you are always free to buy anything even if the world is against it.. Since it's your money and your choice.
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 7th November 2012 at 12:34 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

Hi SkyStrike,

Im considering only the 70-200mm F4 L IS which I believe Technica informed that its about 700gms. I did notice that the F2.8 L is very expensive and beyond my current budget...
    Particularly with electronic goods., Im not comfortable in going for 2nd hand goods because we wouldnt know the actual true reason for the other person selling it off...unless we know the person very close...Again., this is my view., I could be wrong., and there could be genuine sellers out there., may be., I dont get to meet them... So., I always prefer 1st hand goods with warranty as that gives a better peace of mind...

As for identifying what I want., Im seriously looking for a telephoto as priority 1 and macro as priority 2.
    Just want to ensure that whatever I buy now will be complimenting in the future when I go for FF...(may be after 2 yrs., and by that time., Im hoping some advancements would surely come like how the newly launched 6D has GPS and Wifi. May be., in 2 yrs time, we would be getting DSLRs with 3D (like in 3D Smart TV)...

True that, end of the day, Im free to buy anything., but I do respect all of your time and feedback and Im looking to benefit out of the knowledge and experience of people out there in this community....and hence, I do respect each of the opinions shared here and do consider that to take the final decisions....Thank you very much once again...

Quote Originally Posted by tupselva
    Hi Silvermoon,

Yes., I have definitely decided not to switch to FF., at least not now... Your point of FF being heavy is very true and Im not comfortable to carry such heavy gears at this point of time...
    For now., I fully want to use my current crop body and only try some different lenses...
    What I was considering is to buy new lenses that are compatible with FF bodies...I believe this 17-55 is not compatible with FF...If not for this issue, I would for sure consider this lens (17-55). In fact, earlier also I was so curious to buy 10-22mm., but then, because of the FF-incompatibility, I dropped that idea....But of course, these two lenses are too good...there is no denying that...

Im of the opinion that 70-200 would be really helpful., but could you pls. elaborate as to why you feel that may not be needed for a crop body ? Appreciate your time and response. Thanks!!
    Well, 70-200 is a FF lens. Any FF lens used on crop cameras gives longer reach n better corner sharpness (since the crop image circle is smaller, but is more expensive and extra unnecessary weight. If u want to maximise ur crop body, the extra weight from FF lens is contradicting. The extra money saved from not getting a FF lens can get u a powerzoom compact as a 2nd camera, if u need the reach. Haha

And another point. If u r nt comfy with weight issues now, what makes u think u will be comfy next time? Because u r going gym now to train for strong and steady arms? I'm a young chap, so i feel fine. I dunno about you, but many of my uncles and elders are ditching dslrs for mirrorless, for a simple reason... Lol...
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by tupselva
    Hi SkyStrike,

Im considering only the 70-200mm F4 L IS which I believe Technica informed that its about 700gms. I did notice that the F2.8 L is very expensive and beyond my current budget...
    Particularly with electronic goods., Im not comfortable in going for 2nd hand goods because we wouldnt know the actual true reason for the other person selling it off...unless we know the person very close...Again., this is my view., I could be wrong., and there could be genuine sellers out there., may be., I dont get to meet them... So., I always prefer 1st hand goods with warranty as that gives a better peace of mind...

As for identifying what I want., Im seriously looking for a telephoto as priority 1 and macro as priority 2.
    Just want to ensure that whatever I buy now will be complimenting in the future when I go for FF...(may be after 2 yrs., and by that time., Im hoping some advancements would surely come like how the newly launched 6D has GPS and Wifi. May be., in 2 yrs time, we would be getting DSLRs with 3D (like in 3D Smart TV)...

True that, end of the day, Im free to buy anything., but I do respect all of your time and feedback and Im looking to benefit out of the knowledge and experience of people out there in this community....and hence, I do respect each of the opinions shared here and do consider that to take the final decisions....Thank you very much once again...
    If you have the budget, 70-200 f4 IS is a good choice. But if you are unsure if you want to jump into this lens, either renting it or get a cheaper tele lens like 70-300 or 55-250 can be a possible choice too.

55-250, thou is a crop lens, but "feather" light... And costs about 250 bucks... It served me for a period of time before I decided to go for a upgrade.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123