Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

Your questions do not seem to make sense. Not sure if it is another Nikon vs Canon brand war baiting troll post.

You are asking should you go for FF. You can have FF with Canon or Nikon or Sony or (Pentax K3?)

You asked is it worth switching to Nikon. Brand change has nothing to do with going FF. What has "worth" got to do with it?

$2K budget to get FF DSLR plus 70-300mm L IS & 100mm F2.8 L Macro lenses? Good try. I would like to have a Roll Royce for $50. (but even if someone willing to sell at that price, I cannot afford the COE and road tax)

Hi SkyStrike,

I do understand that with 100mm., indoor portrait is very very difficult if not impossible...
    I'll surely upgrade the firmware and see if that helps and also will try different memory cards...thanks!!

Im actually planning to take up some photography course as well to get more insight and tricks of the trade...though I do strongly believe that to take to the next level I do need new gears., because all I have is the body and the kit lens with me for now and for sure that is not good enough...

I did see your flickr collections and very much impressed by your collections...all the pictures are very nice and I also notice that you have the crop sensor body only but a good range of lenses though some of them are only for the crop body...Im wondering if at all you have any plans to upgrade to FF in the near future or later...

Hi Ricohflex,

My intention is definitely not nikon vs canon brand war here...

Im not sure if you got my question clear...I just mentioned those as options to consider...

Since Im not quite clear as to which way to go only Im seeking advise here...appreciate your understanding of that....If at all, you could advise., pls. do., if not., kindly ignore my post...thanks!!

I do have got a lot of responses from others and thats definitely helping me....

Nevertheless, appreciate your time and response. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by tupselva View Post
    Thanks Obelix for the feedback.

I do have only the kit lens (18-55). Inspite of that., do you suggest 17-55 ? Pls. kindly clarify ? Or how abt 17-40 L lens or 16-35mm ? I know that these two are quite expensive...but would that also mean, they would take better pictures than the 17-55... Also., I do not want to go for EF S lens because of its incompatibility with FF camera...

AS for the EF70-200., I think, the size is quite big and may not be a general walkabout lens...I do realize that the fixed aperture of F4 would be an awesome feature., but its sheer size makes me to think twice apart from the price factor...
    Hi SkyStrike,

I do understand that with 100mm., indoor portrait is very very difficult if not impossible...
    I'll surely upgrade the firmware and see if that helps and also will try different memory cards...thanks!!

Im actually planning to take up some photography course as well to get more insight and tricks of the trade...though I do strongly believe that to take to the next level I do need new gears., because all I have is the body and the kit lens with me for now and for sure that is not good enough...

I did see your flickr collections and very much impressed by your collections...all the pictures are very nice and I also notice that you have the crop sensor body only but a good range of lenses though some of them are only for the crop body...Im wondering if at all you have any plans to upgrade to FF in the near future or later...
    I think it's every crop-factor camera owner's wish to go full frame

I'm a bit concerned when you said that the 70-200 F4L - 'its sheer size makes me to think twice apart from the price factor...'
    Remember most full-frame camera bodies are around 1kg (though lighter bodies are now arriving), compared to your 550D which is about 500g
    Factor in mostly heavier lenses you will need for full frame cameras, that's a lot of weight above your Canon 550D + 18-55/50mm combination

Since you said you like macros and portraits I think you probably can go for the 100mm Macro L or non-L first
    Both will serve you well, and help you with head shots on your 550D
    If need wider then change to your 50mm

Happy shopping

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Your questions do not seem to make sense. Not sure if it is another Nikon vs Canon brand war baiting troll post.

• You are asking should you go for FF. You can have FF with Canon or Nikon or Sony or (Pentax K3?)

• You asked is it worth switching to Nikon. Brand change has nothing to do with going FF. What has "worth" got to do with it?

$2K budget to get FF DSLR plus 70-300mm L IS & 100mm F2.8 L Macro lenses? Good try. I would like to have a Roll Royce for $50. (but even if someone willing to sell at that price, I cannot afford the COE and road tax)
    Hi Ricohflex,

My intention is definitely not nikon vs canon brand war here...

Im not sure if you got my question clear...I just mentioned those as options to consider...

Since Im not quite clear as to which way to go only Im seeking advise here...appreciate your understanding of that....If at all, you could advise., pls. do., if not., kindly ignore my post...thanks!!

I do have got a lot of responses from others and thats definitely helping me....

Nevertheless, appreciate your time and response. Thanks!!
    Ricohflex is right, most people only know what to go full frame, but didn't realise the cost is so much higher, not just the camera body, the lenses as well, and also the up-keeping, the repairing cost etc..

are you ready for that?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by tupselva
    Hi SkyStrike,

Well, for a start, you can look at some of the flickr groups for 18-55. You may be surprised what it can offer.

Thanks for dropping by my flickr, but I think there are alot to improve on.

For the ff qst, it's abit hard to answer. On one hand I desire ff cleaner higher iso (since I almost exclusively shoot at 1600 or higher for many shots), but if so, I will lose the reach that I quite like on crop... May not come to a conclusion that quick.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Hi Catchlights.,

I do understand that the DSLR world is not cheap and not everyone's cup of coffee...
    I did mention that my budget is 2k., but I did not mean that., for 2k I want to buy a FF camera and 70-300mm L & 100mm L macro lenses...right ? Im quite aware that., I can only go for either lens upgrade or the body upgrade and not both at the same time...
    I never planned to buy a RollsRoyce for $50...that was a bit sarcastic...though the comment 'but even if someone willing to sell at that price, I cannot afford the COE and road tax' is more realistic...

It is always worthwhile to upgrade. As long as you have the cash and are wiling to spend it, then get the dSLR and lenses that you desire.

With each upgrade, you unlock new capabilities. You may have a new focal length, gain larger aperture, obtain a superior sensor etc.

As long as you deem these new possibilities worthwhile, I do not see a problem here.

Hence, I do not understand your original question. Or for that matter, anybody who have asked a similar question.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Hi Catchlights.,

I do understand that the DSLR world is not cheap and not everyone's cup of coffee...
    I did mention that my budget is 2k., but I did not mean that., for 2k I want to buy a FF camera and 70-300mm L & 100mm L macro lenses...right ? Im quite aware that., I can only go for either lens upgrade or the body upgrade and not both at the same time...
    I never planned to buy a RollsRoyce for $50...that was a bit sarcastic...though the comment 'but even if someone willing to sell at that price, I cannot afford the COE and road tax' is more realistic...
    I do not see any issue with Ricohflex's comment,
    he merely commented your exception is not realistic (see the red text in your own post),
    He is using himself as an illustration, and is admited his own shortcoming, he does not imply you can't can't afford it. (see the blue text is his post)

Hi,

Im having Canon 550D for the past 2.5 years. I only have the kit lens and the 50mm F1.8 prime lens. I feel like I have come to the limit of these lenses (just my opinion, may be Im wrong., but Im getting bored with only these lenses).
    So., considering an upgrade., I would like to know
    a. if it is worth to upgrade to FF camera at this point of time.
    b. if it is worth to switch to nikon.
    c. if it is worth to buy new L lenses from canon.

For. a: I really do not know any compelling reason except for the urge to upgrade with the expectation that FF would enable me to take better pictures (than the current body).
    For. b: I again do not have any compelling reason to switch to nikon for Im not able to clearly distinguish the real benefits of switching to nikon.

The only reasons to consider options a and b are because I have not invested much yet and have not locked myself into canon...so., is it worth trying these options now...

For. c: Im willing to cough out 2k. Im looking out for 2 lenses. 1. Telephoto lens. 2. Macro lens.

For telephoto lens:
    -- 70-300mm L IS: Is it worth to go for this lens ? Or just settle down for the non-L version or even the cheaper non IS version?
    --100-400mm: This size is so huge that Im very uncomfortable., and moreover Im not into wildlife photography.

For Macro lens:
    --100mm F2.8L: I could not think of any other lens for the macro that is within the budget and decent in size (not large). The 180mm macro is quite big and also expensive.

Would these 2 (70-300mmL IS & 100mm F2.8 L Macro) be a good combination or should I go for a general purpose wide-angle lens - 17-40mm L lens ??

Pls. advise and thank you very much for all your time and response.

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

• You are asking should you go for FF. You can have FF with Canon or Nikon or Sony or (Pentax K3?)

• You asked is it worth switching to Nikon. Brand change has nothing to do with going FF. What has "worth" got to do with it?

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks to all for all your valuable inputs...

Here is my current stance after the discussion here:
    - I have decided to be loyal to Canon...
    - Im not going to go for FF now.
    - Im going to buy new lenses that are compatible with FF.
    - I would update my 550D body firmware immediately.
    - Im going to explore the 70-200 F2.8L & 70-300 F4-5.6L as a first priority. I would also rent it out before I buy but I would not be able to rent until Dec as Im travelling this weekend...
    - As a second priority., Im going to consider 17-40mm F4 L and 100mm F2.8L Macro. Between these two., I can choose only one for now.
    - (As I type this, my wife asks me to type 'Im going to buy a necklace for my wife' )
    - As for budget., its blown out...

Thanks to all once again!!

Quote Originally Posted by tupselva
    Hi Catchlights.,

In addition, I believe Catchlights meant more than that. I believe he meant to say that building a competent full-frame system is a costly affair, which is significantly more than S$2,000. While you are certainly free to choose your upgrade path, Catchlights is merely explaining to you that you may be limiting the capabilities of your full-frame functionality without additional investment.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Hi SureShadow & Catchlights.,

Yes, I do understand that building a competent FF system is a costly affair...Though I want to have one., its not going to happen overnight...and its a journey. For sure, 2k is just a beginning that Im planning at the moment...and would like to take step by step...
    I just looked into Catchlights profile in the link he has provided and find that he is a professional in this field and he has 20 yrs experience....WOW...that's inspiring...Im just 2-3 yrs and still a novice...so., got to learn a lot...

install Magic Lantern hack for your Canon.

It will turn your existing Canon Body into a whole new amazing q9p8weytpashgadhfaalksjdfhlak camera.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

At first look., the word 'hack' frightens me...I did further info gathering and observe that ML is a open source firmware that does not overwrite the base codes from canon...However, the owners/developers of this firmware does not provide any warranty / guarantee whatsoever....

Keeping this aside., I could not understand your comment "amazing q9p8weytpashgadhfaalksjdfhlak camera"....What significant benefit does ML bring ? Is it advisable to go for this though not supported by canon ??

focus peak . focus trap. contrast zebra . variable iso. variable movie fps even to 0.2 frames per sec .

built in intervalometer , many other functions . interesting iso levels.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

and many more functions which are off topic
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

, of late., Im facing some problems with the body...that is., some times, after I take a picture., it takes longer than usual to display the picture in preview screen and even if I press the 'play' button., nothing is happening., I have to switch it off and start again for the button to be functional...again., this is not happening every time...so not sure what the problem could be...

Its because of all these., Im considering whether to get into repairing/servicing these ones or just go for a new one...

After reading some problems with your camera body, try to backup your photo in your memory card to your PC and do format your memory card using your camera body. It look more likely a memory card file fragmentation issue to me.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

Hi TS, instead of going FF, may I suggest u look into the possibility of getting the 17-55/2.8 n sigma 50-150/2.8. Both are crop lenses, but they greatly unlock ur photography options for much less $ than a FF with 24-70/2.8 n 70-200/2.8(or 4)

My gut feeling tells me u don't need 70-200 on crop. Plus those FF setup is really heavy. Unless you are convinced u can handle the weight and bring tripod around, I suggest u pimp up ur crop setup first.
    hi

Hi Silverpine,

Thanks for the suggestion. I would certainly try that...I did change to different memory cards and did not face any problem. Even with the one that caused problem, its not always., just intermittent... Infact, today I tried a few shots with the same card and did not face any problem...For sure will format once in the camera body and see if that stabilizes...Thanks once again!!

Hi Silvermoon,

Yes., I have definitely decided not to switch to FF., at least not now... Your point of FF being heavy is very true and Im not comfortable to carry such heavy gears at this point of time...
    For now., I fully want to use my current crop body and only try some different lenses...
    What I was considering is to buy new lenses that are compatible with FF bodies...I believe this 17-55 is not compatible with FF...If not for this issue, I would for sure consider this lens (17-55). In fact, earlier also I was so curious to buy 10-22mm., but then, because of the FF-incompatibility, I dropped that idea....But of course, these two lenses are too good...there is no denying that...

Im of the opinion that 70-200 would be really helpful., but could you pls. elaborate as to why you feel that may not be needed for a crop body ? Appreciate your time and response. Thanks!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast