Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

  1. #1
    Member tupselva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    16

    Default Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Hi,

    Im having Canon 550D for the past 2.5 years. I only have the kit lens and the 50mm F1.8 prime lens. I feel like I have come to the limit of these lenses (just my opinion, may be Im wrong., but Im getting bored with only these lenses).
    So., considering an upgrade., I would like to know
    a. if it is worth to upgrade to FF camera at this point of time.
    b. if it is worth to switch to nikon.
    c. if it is worth to buy new L lenses from canon.

    For. a: I really do not know any compelling reason except for the urge to upgrade with the expectation that FF would enable me to take better pictures (than the current body).
    For. b: I again do not have any compelling reason to switch to nikon for Im not able to clearly distinguish the real benefits of switching to nikon.

    The only reasons to consider options a and b are because I have not invested much yet and have not locked myself into canon...so., is it worth trying these options now...

    For. c: Im willing to cough out 2k. Im looking out for 2 lenses. 1. Telephoto lens. 2. Macro lens.

    For telephoto lens:
    -- 70-300mm L IS: Is it worth to go for this lens ? Or just settle down for the non-L version or even the cheaper non IS version?
    --100-400mm: This size is so huge that Im very uncomfortable., and moreover Im not into wildlife photography.

    For Macro lens:
    --100mm F2.8L: I could not think of any other lens for the macro that is within the budget and decent in size (not large). The 180mm macro is quite big and also expensive.

    Would these 2 (70-300mmL IS & 100mm F2.8 L Macro) be a good combination or should I go for a general purpose wide-angle lens - 17-40mm L lens ??

    Pls. advise and thank you very much for all your time and response.

    Thanks!!

  2. #2

    Default

    Having full frame doesn't mean will take better picture.

    think can try rent the lenses u intend to buy and see which suit u most as others won't know what u will like. Who knows in the end you still like ur current lens after trying out the rest.

  3. #3
    Member Obelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Since you have been using Canon for the past 2.5 years, staying with the same brand will be a better choice as the controls and handling will be familiar to you. Going FF won't really enable you to take better pictures. There are many other factors to it. You did not mention what type of photography you would normally do. Hence, this is just my humble opinion:

    1. 550D is a relatively good camera, which can produce decent pictures. So, stay with it.
    2. Maybe, you need an upgrade in better lenses. For 2k or slightly more, you could get a condition 9-10 pre owned EFs17-55 and EF70-200 f4 IS.
    These 2 lenses will be able to cover most of your photography needs. The 2 lenses are high-performance lenses which you could easily resell them again, should you decide to upgrade them in the future.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    if you have no idea why you are considering a), then you can forget about b) too.

    go with c), get some quality glass and open a whole new world ahead of you.

    to save money, time and trouble, just go for the EF lenses. L or not, it is up to you.

    not that the EF-S lenses are bad, just that since you already have intention to upgrade but no idea what to upgrade to, you can start with FF compatible EF lenses first. so next time you will not need to suffer losses from selling more EF-S lenses, should you want to go FF.

    as for options under c), L-lenses are generally above the consumer grade lenses in terms of build and image quality. this leaves you with the right focal range to ponder over.

    how do you overcome this? simple, go rent those mentioned lenses and see if you like how they handle in your hands. nothing beats your own findings and experience, really.

    anyway, the 100 macro non-L is highly regarded for its performance vs price ratio. it is not entirely necessary to go for the 100L macro, unless you can discern between the 2 and you need the absolute performance from the L-lens.
    Last edited by tecnica; 5th November 2012 at 09:57 PM.

  5. #5
    Member tupselva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Thanks huatman for the feedback.

    Agreed that just having full frame would not mean I can take better pictures...Can you pls. tell me what would be the key criteria to consider upgrading to FF ? Thanks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by huatman View Post
    Having full frame doesn't mean will take better picture.

    think can try rent the lenses u intend to buy and see which suit u most as others won't know what u will like. Who knows in the end you still like ur current lens after trying out the rest.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Just my $0.02

    If you are thinking that dumping money into newer technology is going to get you better images. Well, you are not wrong... in a sense that you will have better IQ. But if your skills are not up to standard, what you will achieve is probably just crap with incredible image quality.

    Bored of the current body+lens isn't a valid reason to upgrade/jump ship to any brand/camera models. (not stopping you from buying since the $ is yours). Also, you are listing quite a number of lenses and of which all of it have quite different usage.

    In general, when people seek advices for upgrades, the common few questions asked is
    1) What do you usually shoot? Landscapes, Portraits, Macro, Street etc.. .. ..
    2) What is it that your current gears cannot achieve that you think that the new equipment can do? (in short, how is your gear limiting you from shooting those you list in the qst 1?)

    If applicable,
    3) Sometimes the upgrade seems so much like the only way to get better images, but have you considered shooting raw and using/improving your post processing techniques?


    *If dumping money into equipment to prevent your interest in photography from dying, I suggest you sell off your gear and find other hobbies...*
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  7. #7
    Member tupselva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Thanks Obelix for the feedback.

    I do have only the kit lens (18-55). Inspite of that., do you suggest 17-55 ? Pls. kindly clarify ? Or how abt 17-40 L lens or 16-35mm ? I know that these two are quite expensive...but would that also mean, they would take better pictures than the 17-55... Also., I do not want to go for EF S lens because of its incompatibility with FF camera...

    AS for the EF70-200., I think, the size is quite big and may not be a general walkabout lens...I do realize that the fixed aperture of F4 would be an awesome feature., but its sheer size makes me to think twice apart from the price factor...

    Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Since you have been using Canon for the past 2.5 years, staying with the same brand will be a better choice as the controls and handling will be familiar to you. Going FF won't really enable you to take better pictures. There are many other factors to it. You did not mention what type of photography you would normally do. Hence, this is just my humble opinion:

    1. 550D is a relatively good camera, which can produce decent pictures. So, stay with it.
    2. Maybe, you need an upgrade in better lenses. For 2k or slightly more, you could get a condition 9-10 pre owned EFs17-55 and EF70-200 f4 IS.
    These 2 lenses will be able to cover most of your photography needs. The 2 lenses are high-performance lenses which you could easily resell them again, should you decide to upgrade them in the future.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Quote Originally Posted by tupselva View Post
    Thanks huatman for the feedback.

    Agreed that just having full frame would not mean I can take better pictures...Can you pls. tell me what would be the key criteria to consider upgrading to FF ? Thanks!!
    there is no key criteria to go for FF. if you have the dough, by all means go for it.

    the difference lies in whether you can appreciate what the FF sensor is able to provide you with and if you need those features or not.

    better dynamic range, better noise control, more details captured etc, are some of the perks which you are looking at.

  9. #9
    Member tupselva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Hi Tecnica,

    Thanks for your advise on the EF lenses...thats my idea as well, because some time or the other I may upgrade to FF..

    Could you pls. advise me the merits of upgrading to FF camera ? At this point of time., I just would like to review all possible options and make a wise decision so that I dont regret what I decide now...and also I want the current decisions to be complementing the ones I would have to make in the future ( in terms of further new purchases in the future)...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Quote Originally Posted by tupselva View Post
    Thanks Obelix for the feedback.

    I do have only the kit lens (18-55). Inspite of that., do you suggest 17-55 ? Pls. kindly clarify ? Or how abt 17-40 L lens or 16-35mm ? I know that these two are quite expensive...but would that also mean, they would take better pictures than the 17-55... Also., I do not want to go for EF S lens because of its incompatibility with FF camera...

    AS for the EF70-200., I think, the size is quite big and may not be a general walkabout lens...I do realize that the fixed aperture of F4 would be an awesome feature., but its sheer size makes me to think twice apart from the price factor...
    read:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon...ml#post7537809

    you are contradicting yourself. 70-200L f4 IS is big? then the more you should stay away from the 100-400L. the 70-300L is also well over 1kg vs the 700g of the 70-200L f4 IS.


    left - 100-400L IS
    right - 70-200L f4 IS

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Quote Originally Posted by tupselva View Post
    Thanks Obelix for the feedback.

    I do have only the kit lens (18-55). Inspite of that., do you suggest 17-55 ? Pls. kindly clarify ? Or how abt 17-40 L lens or 16-35mm ? I know that these two are quite expensive...but would that also mean, they would take better pictures than the 17-55... Also., I do not want to go for EF S lens because of its incompatibility with FF camera...

    AS for the EF70-200., I think, the size is quite big and may not be a general walkabout lens...I do realize that the fixed aperture of F4 would be an awesome feature., but its sheer size makes me to think twice apart from the price factor...
    It seems to me that you don't understand your needs.

    btw, 17-55, along with 10-22 and 15-85 is the top end lenses on Crop that Canon have. It's rumoured that these are L lenses without the red ring. So, If I placed/draw the red ring there, will 17-55 take better pictures than the ones you listed (17-40, 16-35)?



    Quote Originally Posted by tupselva View Post
    Hi Tecnica,

    Thanks for your advise on the EF lenses...thats my idea as well, because some time or the other I may upgrade to FF..

    Could you pls. advise me the merits of upgrading to FF camera ? At this point of time., I just would like to review all possible options and make a wise decision so that I dont regret what I decide now...and also I want the current decisions to be complementing the ones I would have to make in the future ( in terms of further new purchases in the future)...
    Not everyone's upgrade path will lead to FF. YMMV!
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 5th November 2012 at 10:16 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  12. #12

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    for the record, i have had owned the 10-22 and 17-55 for nearly 2 yrs and now the 16-35L II. i can tell you that the 17-55(and 10-22) performed just as well as the L-lens, albeit the inferior build quality.

    TS, you can go for the 17-55 if you want but get a pre-owned one like what Obelix suggested. this will cut your losses to the minimum, should you want to go FF in the future.
    Last edited by tecnica; 5th November 2012 at 10:22 PM.

  13. #13
    Member tupselva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Hi SkySrike,

    Thank you very much for your feedback. I like that...its an eye opener and exactly these kind of inputs / reality-check is what I was looking for...
    Coming to your questions:
    On 1) As of now., my interests are in portraits & macro....Its because of these interests, I listed the 100mm macro L, which I understand is specialized in macro and also ok for portraits...
    On 2) With the current camera and kit lens, Im getting 'not so clear' images and 'not so sharp' images...Not sure if a general servicing of the canon body would resolve these problems....Im looking for less noise and more sharpness and a good shooting range as well...Hence, I want to try new lenses. Further., of late., Im facing some problems with the body...that is., some times, after I take a picture., it takes longer than usual to display the picture in preview screen and even if I press the 'play' button., nothing is happening., I have to switch it off and start again for the button to be functional...again., this is not happening every time...so not sure what the problem could be...

    Its because of all these., Im considering whether to get into repairing/servicing these ones or just go for a new one...

    I did like your closing comments... :-) Im very passionate about photography and purposely I did not buy any new lens in the past 2+ years because I wanted to learn the basics with the kit lens alone as I do realize that it can take pretty decent photographs...Now that I want to take it to next level., Im exploring all possible new options....

  14. #14

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Quote Originally Posted by tupselva View Post
    Hi SkySrike,

    Thank you very much for your feedback. I like that...its an eye opener and exactly these kind of inputs / reality-check is what I was looking for...
    Coming to your questions:
    On 1) As of now., my interests are in portraits & macro....Its because of these interests, I listed the 100mm macro L, which I understand is specialized in macro and also ok for portraits...
    On 2) With the current camera and kit lens, Im getting 'not so clear' images and 'not so sharp' images...Not sure if a general servicing of the canon body would resolve these problems....Im looking for less noise and more sharpness and a good shooting range as well...Hence, I want to try new lenses. Further., of late., Im facing some problems with the body...that is., some times, after I take a picture., it takes longer than usual to display the picture in preview screen and even if I press the 'play' button., nothing is happening., I have to switch it off and start again for the button to be functional...again., this is not happening every time...so not sure what the problem could be...

    Its because of all these., Im considering whether to get into repairing/servicing these ones or just go for a new one...

    I did like your closing comments... :-) Im very passionate about photography and purposely I did not buy any new lens in the past 2+ years because I wanted to learn the basics with the kit lens alone as I do realize that it can take pretty decent photographs...Now that I want to take it to next level., Im exploring all possible new options....
    Then i suggest you consider flashing your firmware to the latest version and buying a new, faster memory card instead.

    we have numerous threads and articles on crop vs full frame. But if you yourself DO NOT know the benefits and drawbacks of going full frame, then DO NOT upgrade to FF.

    Remember, you can also always go and rent the body/lenses first.
    Alpha

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Quote Originally Posted by tupselva View Post
    Thank you very much for your feedback. I like that...its an eye opener and exactly these kind of inputs / reality-check is what I was looking for...
    Coming to your questions:
    On 1) As of now., my interests are in portraits & macro....Its because of these interests, I listed the 100mm macro L, which I understand is specialized in macro and also ok for portraits...
    On 2) With the current camera and kit lens, Im getting 'not so clear' images and 'not so sharp' images...Not sure if a general servicing of the canon body would resolve these problems....Im looking for less noise and more sharpness and a good shooting range as well...Hence, I want to try new lenses. Further., of late., Im facing some problems with the body...that is., some times, after I take a picture., it takes longer than usual to display the picture in preview screen and even if I press the 'play' button., nothing is happening., I have to switch it off and start again for the button to be functional...again., this is not happening every time...so not sure what the problem could be...

    Its because of all these., Im considering whether to get into repairing/servicing these ones or just go for a new one...

    I did like your closing comments... :-) Im very passionate about photography and purposely I did not buy any new lens in the past 2+ years because I wanted to learn the basics with the kit lens alone as I do realize that it can take pretty decent photographs...Now that I want to take it to next level., Im exploring all possible new options....
    - The recommendations of lens will also usually come based on your preference of focal length. Have you roughly identified what FL do you usually use most? For ANY genre of photography, individuals have different preferences for FL. 100mm L for portraits on crop, do you roughly have any idea know how far you have to stand away from your subject to get a half body? btw, I read from some forums complaining that this lens is so sharp that the clients's pimple's are so hard to PP away..

    - not so clear/sharp photos... Are you sure those are not user problems? As in subject movement related issues or too thin DOF?

    - The body issue, have you
    > upgraded the firmware to the latest version?
    > tried to use another SD card or format to see if it helps?

    A body costing ~800 makes you think of spending 2k++ more on FF body and above it, to spend another 2k on lens (since only your 50mm can be used)... wow... I rather get a 2nd hand crop body from B&S if CSC cannot fix the problem.



    Taking it to the next level may not even require new gears. How about doing some photography challenges? I'm pretty sure you can learn much more from that...I do understand that there are limitations to whatever you are using. But when you have reached that limitations, you would have clearly identified what you would want to get as an upgrade from that point forth...

    Someone once said: If you have to ask (which to buy), you aren't ready (for the upgrade)...
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 5th November 2012 at 10:49 PM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  16. #16

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    bear in mind the step up cost to FF is quite a bit.

    even a 5DMK2 will cost you 2k+ and with a 24-105L, you are looking at 3k+ to 4k.

    for the 5DMK3, the body alone is 4.1k already, kit set is 5k+.

    then you also have to spend more on CF cards and stuffs.

    have not include your macro and or telezoom lens yet.
    Last edited by tecnica; 5th November 2012 at 10:55 PM.

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    bear in mind the step up cost to FF is quite a bit.

    even a 5DMK2 will cost you 2k+ and with a 24-105L, you are looking at 3k+ to 4k.

    for the 5DMK3, the body alone is 4.1k already, kit set is 5k+.

    then you also have to spend more on CF cards and stuffs.

    have not include your macro and or telezoom lens yet.
    Maybe can get cheaper primes, 35 f2, 85 f1.8 (< $1000)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  18. #18
    Member tupselva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    I do agree 70-200 is relatively smaller than the 100-400. In fact, I have not always vouched for 100-400., because its very bulky and big...
    What I was comparing with is 70-200 and 70-300., may be Im wrong., because, I havent seen both of them together yet...Also., I see that, there is a DO lens which is even more smaller..
    Another point is., the additional 100mm which from the range perspective would be quite good...

  19. #19
    Member tupselva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Upgrade Canon FF or Switch to Nikon ? Pls. advise

    Thanks Rashkae. Let me try to firmware upgrade soon...
    As for the memory card., Im using a newly purchased one only and which is a Class10. Anyhow., let me also try with the other memory cards that I have...thanks for your inputs...

    I'll also skim through the other articles on crop vs FF.. As far I know., in FF, the coverage is more and more detail and better IQ...One factor I didnt like is that the FF do not have in-built flash which may be a drawback..

    Sure., I'll also try the rent option as well....thanks!!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tupselva
    Thanks Rashkae. Let me try to firmware upgrade soon...
    As for the memory card., Im using a newly purchased one only and which is a Class10. Anyhow., let me also try with the other memory cards that I have...thanks for your inputs...

    I'll also skim through the other articles on crop vs FF.. As far I know., in FF, the coverage is more and more detail and better IQ...One factor I didnt like is that the FF do not have in-built flash which may be a drawback..

    Sure., I'll also try the rent option as well....thanks!!
    Uhm. You lose the crop factor. You don't necessarily get more detail (compare the image samples of your target and current cam at sites like dpreview). Some FF do have a built-in flash.
    Alpha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •