Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash Trigger and Softbox help

Default Re: Flash Trigger and Softbox help

Just came back from Nepal. Children love to have their pictures taken there and they are everywhere. Go out, mix with them and shoot them at their most natural reactions. Lighting might be important but I think in such cases, it is secondary to capturing raw emotions.

Honestly, getting new gear without sufficient time to familiarize before actual usage sounds like a potential disaster. It's like buying your first DSLR 3 days before your trip of a lifetime expecting to produce fantastic pictures.

okay you may have a problem the d300/d300s is good for probably max out at 2500 if you want to do 10R prints for 4R or web well you cold shoot at 3200. Couple the use of high iso 1600 and above, with a shutter speed of at least 1/60 best would be at least 1/125, a 2.8 zoom like the tamaron 18-50 you could shoot available light or available assisted with a good led torch light.
    A of camera flash on a soft box would be fantastic, but there is
    1. problem of carrying the extra gear
    2. setting up and packing takes at least 15min if you know what you are doing if not then think around 20-25min.
    3, most cheap radio triggers are manual fire sure you could spend more have CLS via radio triggers but you are not going to like the cost and the sometimes unpredictability of even doing a proper link up. Then for manual fire you need to have a good understanding say at 1/4 power how far the subject must be for appropriate exposure.
    4. the issue of charging extra batteries for the external flash and may be the flash trigger could be difficult where there is no ready electricity.
    5. there is no Joe McNally pill where you take one of that and wham you are a flash user wizard, may you are quick study may you are not. so getting the light fantastic from the start may not be what you get. Over or under exposed, bad looking light pictures are probably what you will be getting till you understand what to do and when to do what.

Quote Originally Posted by nignag View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am going on a trip to Nepal soon where I will be in close contact with the village people and their kids. I wish to take portraits of them using a small, portable soft box with a stand, hot shoe flash, as well as a flash trigger. I'm really inexperienced at setting up this sort of DIY lighting so I would appreciate if you guys can recommend me what soft box, stand, and flash trigger to purchase and where to purchase them. I'm only looking to buy one of each.

I'm currently using a Nikon D300s, along with a SB-600 flash.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Bring your D300S and a 50mm f1.4 and perhaps a small foldable reflector.

Spend time interacting with the people that you are going to shoot with and win their trust and allow them to "give" and you shall be rewarded.

I am sure an ISO800/ISO1600 would be suffice for most situation? Shoot right and shoot raw, you should have no issue with noise at all.

I shoot almost all my portrait with Natural light for last 3.5 years and I still shoot 80% of my work today using natural light and I know it can be done... as far as technical goes... The biggest challenge is to build a good rapport before you take any shots. That differentiate amateurs and good portrait photographer.

So stop thinking technical when it comes to people... ask yourself, why are you taking their pictures for? for you to test your lighting setup? if this is the case, but a dummy and shoot that.

Wish you best of luck.

Regards,

Hart

Here's the simple way:

For starters, you don't need a trigger: you already have one. The D300s built-in flash has the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS) Advanced Wireless Lighting (AWL) commander mode, it can trigger the SB600 (700/800/900/910) flash wirelessly. (The magic is done by coded preflashes--it's pretty cool!) Nissin and YongNou have AWL-compatible flashes at a fraction of the price of an SB-910 with the same power. (I have a Nissin D1866 Mk ii and a YongNou 565EX--they make great remote flashes!) If you need more power, put two or three behind one umbrella (tripple flash mount head) and at $260 for a YN565EX, their quite affordable. Here's a checklist of AWL compatible gear: Flash Units for Nikon | DPanswers

Get a light stand, a flash mount and a shoot-through umbrella, you can see the type of gear here: Red Dot Photo (Singapore) - View Products and you can buy all three pieces in a kit at Artwork Foto for $50. They don't have the kit listed here, but you can see some of the pieces (and the reflector, stand & boom) here: Strobist Photography - Camera,Lens,Flash,Tripod,Bags and Studio Products!

For fill light, all you need is a folding reflector ($45) and if you can't get somebody to hold it for you, you can buy another light stand an a boom for about $75.

You can also get 60x60cm softboxes that fold up pretty small as well--if you are set on a lightbox.

Bone up on lightweight lighting at the Strobist: Lighting 101 blog.

If you want to see the gear in action, PM me, I'd be glad to show you.

The setup I described (1flash+tripod with holder attached+33"umbrella) can be set up really quick (5min?). Positioning will take more time though. Reflector works even better as a portable solution if you have friends or you are in a situation to hold it, prop it against your tripod or sthg. Shoot available light if possible, get wide aperture lenses (35,50,85 | 1.8,1.4)

Of course, not all situation will call for the flash and truth be told, even if I had the lightest lighting equipments, I probably won't use it on the trip often unless I met someone whom I absolutely have to take a portrait of, that is willing to wait and flash is essential (Probability= 0.01*0.01*0.01?). Nonetheless, you can always try and who knows, it may work for you and you will be the one giving advice next time

Let your imagination (and the kids) run wild!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shockingpants View Post
    The setup I described (1flash+tripod with holder attached+33"umbrella) can be set up really quick (5min?). Positioning will take more time though. Reflector works even better as a portable solution if you have friends or you are in a situation to hold it, prop it against your tripod or sthg. Shoot available light if possible, get wide aperture lenses (35,50,85 | 1.8,1.4)

Of course, not all situation will call for the flash and truth be told, even if I had the lightest lighting equipments, I probably won't use it on the trip often unless I met someone whom I absolutely have to take a portrait of, that is willing to wait and flash is essential (Probability= 0.01*0.01*0.01?). Nonetheless, you can always try and who knows, it may work for you and you will be the one giving advice next time

Let your imagination (and the kids) run wild!!
    5 min to set up. have to lay everything on the ground. take the stuff out from the cases, mount.. after the shot, everything have to pack up. It becomes 10 mins. And if your subject moves, you have to move the whole set up. If you want to shoot other subjects with the same setup, you have to carry all these things around with you all pre-setup. If not, you have to setup then tear down multiple times.

The only portable solution is a light stick. What is a light stick? An LED mounted ontop of a quick deploy monopod. You can even operate it on your own. One hand on the camera, the other hand holding the extended stick with light.

And this is the quality of light you get...
    Last edited by daredevil123; 27th November 2012 at 11:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12