Thread: Unofficial E1 Flash Sync Speed Tests

Default Unofficial E1 Flash Sync Speed Tests

Hi There,

Here's an informal test conducted by an E-1 enthusiast showing what shutterspeeds above the offical 1/180s works. Do note that the flash is question is the venerable oldie but goodie T32 from the OM era in AUTO.

http://www.accura.com.hk/E1-flash.jpg

Cheers,
    Last edited by chancy; 23rd February 2005 at 01:43 PM.

Interesting. I didn't know the CCD "shutter" works like a mechanical shutter. I thought when the syn speed is exceed in a digital camera, you will get total black out instead of partial black out as shown in the link.

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyeo
    Interesting. I didn't know the CCD "shutter" works like a mechanical shutter. I thought when the syn speed is exceed in a digital camera, you will get total black out instead of partial black out as shown in the link.
    Hello Stanleyeo,

Pardon a correction, but the E1 does have a mechanical shutter (albeit a quiet one); and one that's rated for 150,000 cycles, that's in the same league as the best from its noiser competitors.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by chancy
    Hello Stanleyeo,

Pardon a correction, but the E1 does have a mechanical shutter (albeit a quiet one); and one that's rated for 150,000 cycles, that's in the same league as the best from its noiser competitors.

Cheers
    Thanks for the enlightenment! Not all cameras using mechanical shutter right? What is the advantages of mechanical shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyeo
    Thanks for the enlightenment! Not all cameras using mechanical shutter right? What is the advantages of mechanical shutter?
    Hello Stanleyeo,

Checks on the internet reveals the following document at

http://morel.dmc.caltech.edu:16080/n...escription.pdf.

If I may extract a relevant, self-explanatory section therein below. I don't have full knowledge of sensors adapted for other makes of cameras but it appears to make sense for the E-system bodies.

"CCD's used in professional cameras tend to be Full Frame Transfer, they don't have a shift register, this means that a mechanical shutter is absolutely required to control the start / stop measurement of light. The shutter is opened and then closed again (say 1/60s later), the whole CCD shifts data off itself into the serial register where it's processed as the "RAW" image. As Full Frame CCD's are simpler (don't have shift registers and associated electronics around each photodiode) they have a much better Fill Factor (around 70%) and don't require or use microlenses. The disadvantage is that you can't get a video feed out of them which is the main reason we don't see more manufacturers using Full Frame CCD's (we're all too used to our LCD preview).

Pro's & Con's associated with each CCD type:

Full Frame CCD
    -----------------
    High image quality
    High sensitivity
    High dynamic range
    Larger sizes
    No microlenses
    Not capable of video feed
    Top shutter speeds limited by mechanical shutter
    Require mechanical shutter

Interline Transfer CCD