Thread: Lower Pierce Reservoir

Default Lower Pierce Reservoir

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    - In General I guess

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    - Beautiful Landscape

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    - Afternoon after rain, ISO100, f/9, CANON DSLR, 30sec

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Default Re: Lower Pierce Reservoir

You may want to ask yourself, what is the subject you are taking, maybe you wanna take something more interesting rather than focus on the rock?
    because i have no idea whats your subject the background doesnt look in anyway interesting, looks very ordinary.

The trees behind looks distracting and maybe I would consider cropping of the right side abit because of the protruding ground.

If you follow rule of thirds, maybe you dont want to put your subject right in the middle

Hi flyfox,
    thanks for the info, actually I trying to catch the mist after the rain, I thought is will be good if there is some rocks on it.

I retouch the image with B&W crop a little hope is look a little more interesting...

My $0.02, not a pro, but, But my comments as follows

Not sure what are you trying to shoot here... The foreground is not very interesting and is taking all the "glory" in the picture.

For both pictures, my eyes are more attracted to the rock than any other things in the frame main reason being
    - This rock is basically in-your-face.
    - The rock stands out too much in this non-contrasty background.

The cropped version does have lesser distractions by the sides, but my eyes are still fixed on the main rock. Also, I don't think this rock does anything to enhance the framing other than to distract my eyes. Perhaps the "ground" in the water may be more interesting subjects for the foreground.

I suggest reading up stuffs like Rules of Thirds (at least) and other forms of composition tips and tricks (e.g. Shapes and Leading Lines). The picture as take as it is (whether original or cropped) is beyond repairs by post processing techniques. My suggestion is read up more and shoot again.

Cheers.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Would agree with the seniors here

I think if you want to keep to your title you would need a wider depth of field so the background is also sharp. Likely a wider angle too to include more of the surroundings

From your picture looks like you want to showcase the rock, as it is in focus. You may want to go much closer to the rock, to pick out the details on the rock maybe there are some interesting patterns (and change the title accordingly)

Thanks for sharing and continue shooting

Quote Originally Posted by maxwelltan

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    - In General I guess

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    - Beautiful Landscape

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    - Afternoon after rain, ISO100, f/9, CANON DSLR, 30sec

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I would move the rock so it's right at the bottom sticking out about half way.not more..not less..n it needs to be at a lower angle to..or frame move to the right so it's not so lonely n distracting..get more of the shore or none.....it's not good to put too much or too little of things that is too distracting

if it's fog ur capturing better to slow down the shutter more while increasing the fstop to about f16..n increase the contrast..if u want u can make it f22..softens the image overall due to the aperture..if u had gradual color filters u can make the scene more interesting..
    Last edited by eggie87; 6th November 2012 at 03:21 PM.