Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Communication Failure while updating E300 Firmware

  1. #1

    Default Communication Failure while updating E300 Firmware

    Folks,

    I 've been trying to udate the firmware almost since it's release but
    not succeeded yet. It always lands in "communication error" msg.

    I tried with all the tricks viz.
    - disabling services (thru' msconfig)
    - disabling firewall for internet connection
    - disabling NAV autoprotect service
    infact reimaged my notebook to have a fresh start to update E300
    firmware. it always lands up with "failed to communite with server" error.
    happens during various % of progress.

    I guess the process goes like this..!
    downloading the firmware into cam -> updating firmware.
    correct me here.

    "failed to communite with server" occured only during downloading
    process, never reached the updating level. all am scared is, if it occurs
    during the updating process, will it affect the camera?

    FYI - My nearest service centre is SG & I live in Brunei. am using a dial up
    connection with 56kpbs and connects @ 50kpbs or so.

    I don't know if i can take a chance using Oly Studio trial version.
    if it does'n't work, i won't have an option to look around.

    is there any other way to update..?Your any help will be highly appreciated

    thanks, adal

    sorry for a long story..!

  2. #2

    Default

    I had the same problem. Thanks to Merciless Knight. i went to his place to update and looked at his computer settings.

    So I disabled the firewalls of my microsoft and Norton and installed Zone Alarm (free ware) .... now it works.

    Maybe you want to try that

  3. #3

    Default Zone Alarm..!

    Ray,

    Love to visit any of you if I live in SG or propably i would't have this
    problem due to high speed modem connections in SG.

    Anyway, what's Zone alarm and how does it help me here.?

    thanks for the tip ray, adal

  4. #4

    Default

    My firewalls did not prompt me about the communication and simply blocked them. Zone laram prompted me and thus I could take the necessary actions

  5. #5
    Member kktan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lands behind the Wood
    Posts
    381

    Default

    I use WinXP SP1 and have no problem updating my E-300 firmware to v1.1 last week. I did get "failed to communite with server" error while updating my Oly Master to v1.11 (right after updating the firmware) .

    Try again this morning (did not reconfigure any setting) and was able to update it from v1.1 to v1.11. I'm using 512K broadband.

    Could the error be because of server timeout at Oly's server?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medieval Period...
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadal
    Ray,

    Love to visit any of you if I live in SG or propably i would't have this
    problem due to high speed modem connections in SG.

    Anyway, what's Zone alarm and how does it help me here.?

    thanks for the tip ray, adal
    MS will block certain port in the internet... the reason why anything happened... MS will say Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot the whole system

    As for the Zone Alarm thing, it is a free 3rd party Firewall.
    This Firewall is much better than the MS SP2 firewall.
    This is the following URL http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...ulist_download

    B4 U install ZoneAlarm U must disable Ur Secuity Center of MS.
    By doing this,
    Step 1: Go to Control Panel
    Step 2: Click on Administrator Tools
    Step 3: Click on Services.
    Step 4: Search for Secuity Center and disabled it.

    From there install Ur ZoneAlarm. As for AntiVirus Software U does not need to disabled it.

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm using Windows XP Service 2 and updated my E-300 without problem.

    If you are using Windows XP Service 2 with Firewall turned on, you may want to add Olympus Master to the exception lists temporarily for it to connect freely to the Olympus Server.

    To do this, go to Control Panel, Choose Windows Firewall. I'll assume that you have it on.

    Click on the "Exceptions" tab and you should see a list of services or programs that are allowed to connect to the internet.

    Click on "Add Program", scroll down and choose "Olympus Master". Then click "Ok" and "OK"

    Now, the Firewall will allow Olympus Master to communicate regardless of what ports it uses. You may try updating your firmware again.

    After the update, and if you feel more secure removing it, go back to the "Exception" list and remove this very software to return to the previous state.

    Zone alarm is an excellent tool but it does requires a little bit more knowledge to get it working, and I mean in the long run.

  8. #8

    Default

    Set aside firewall problem, are u guys using a 56K dial-up and experience problem?

    This could due to server time out because of slow traffic.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medieval Period...
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ykkok
    I'm using Windows XP Service 2 and updated my E-300 without problem.

    If you are using Windows XP Service 2 with Firewall turned on, you may want to add Olympus Master to the exception lists temporarily for it to connect freely to the Olympus Server.

    To do this, go to Control Panel, Choose Windows Firewall. I'll assume that you have it on.

    Click on the "Exceptions" tab and you should see a list of services or programs that are allowed to connect to the internet.

    Click on "Add Program", scroll down and choose "Olympus Master". Then click "Ok" and "OK"

    Now, the Firewall will allow Olympus Master to communicate regardless of what ports it uses. You may try updating your firmware again.

    After the update, and if you feel more secure removing it, go back to the "Exception" list and remove this very software to return to the previous state.

    Zone alarm is an excellent tool but it does requires a little bit more knowledge to get it working, and I mean in the long run.
    Ur method is using MS to control Secuity Features.

    BTW my method is much more control of Software traffic in term of Outgoing and Incoming.

  10. #10

    Default

    I was just offering another alternative.

    Anyway, both method should work and if you want to have more control and flexibilities, should try Zone Alarm.

    If you are nervous on trying out new stuffs and prefers novice stuffs, the SP2 firewall is not too bad.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medieval Period...
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ykkok
    Set aside firewall problem, are u guys using a 56K dial-up and experience problem?

    This could due to server time out because of slow traffic.
    Possible...

    Hi chancy,

    Any Problem from Mac side???
    Last edited by Merciless_Knight; 23rd February 2005 at 03:01 PM.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merciless_Knight
    Possible...

    Hi chancy,

    Any Problem from Mac side???
    Hello Merciless Knight,

    My firmware updates for the E1 & lens are all done via SCV cable modem at home. Firmware download & updates fine using MacOSX version of Viewer SW. Firewall on my Mac is enabled, but no problems encountered since day one from 1.1 to the latest 1.4 :-)

    Cheers,

  13. #13

    Default

    am presently running on Win XP SP1. read in other few
    reviews that SP2 might cause more blocks to the
    communication. so a bit hesitant install SP2.

    The exception option available in SP1 or ? i ain't checked
    it yet. but when i disabled firewall, it should be able to
    communicate freely right..? and also i disabled the
    non-microsoft services using MSconfig.

    my suspect here is the speed. 56k modem..
    have any of you succeeded using a dial up modem (56k)?
    if so, advice me your setup. nonetheless, i shall try the
    zone alarm as well.

    please post if you come across with more options.

    thanks, adal

    PS: waiting to update so i can have improved WB. i captured
    lion dancing here last week with all the WB settings i could.
    not a single frame came well. was astound to see that.
    the auditorium was flooded with YELLOW posters, wall hangings.

  14. #14

    Default E300 firmware & Oly Master update !

    I tried after installing SP2 and after stopping safety centre service.
    I tried to update oly master first, it went upto 65% and failed to
    communicate .

    not installed the zone alarm yet. is there any suggestions..?

    thanks, adal

  15. #15

    Default

    I think probably due to time-out, connection too slow.

    Have u ever check your connection speed?

  16. #16

    Default

    ykk, my connection speed is around 45 ~ 50 kpbs.. (56K dial up modem)

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ykkok
    I think probably due to time-out, connection too slow.

    Have u ever check your connection speed?
    well, how fast you guyz connect at..? i am looking for one that connects
    through dial up modem and succeeded in updating the firmware lah.
    if any please raise hands..!
    adal

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •