Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leica in financial crisis

Quote Originally Posted by sriram
    Many people are not aware that Kyocera's main business is ceramics. In fact Kyocera stands for Kyoto Ceramics.
    Ah so! Thanks for the enlightenment.

Saw some Kyocera ceramic knives at Tangs the other day. They look really cool and cost a fortune @ $200+ each. Ceramic knives are said to be very good because the stay sharp and also don't cause food to oxidise. So maybe if cut Apple with it, inside of apple won't turn brown - maybe.

Anyway I was wondering why “camera company” makes knives?!?

Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    i guess its panasonic

but panasonic take over leica will be good because it will murderthe leica diehards who are going the way of the dodo anyway
    Even the latest Lecia digital camera the Digilux 2, has a EXcat Panasonic relica, DMC-LC1

Identical to the lenses used, the zoom, the aperature...CCD..etc
    When u do a side-by-side comparison on dpreview, the specs (except price) remain the same throughout the entire table.
    (in fact I suspect it is the same camera)

Its just like 2 cameras with 2 brand names diff only, and the Lecia costs so much more over the Panasonic simplify cos of the "LEICA" mark.

And the fact that Panasonic has been using lecia lens in their products, makes them a likely choice to take over Leica's business.

I wonder if the day will come, when SONY takes over Zeiss too...

Its an interesting fact that the Leica brand name is licenced. So whoever comes into the picture will have to preserve this licence, otherwise the run the risk of being left with a contract manufacture with no brand or technology, and the risk that Leica will open shop in another factory after the sale. Panasonic is possible, but they are more of a mass market company, and they also have to justify buying more of what they already have through the existing partnership as pointed out by the Digilux2/Lumix LC1 post. Probably someone who has expertise in small niche business, or someone who can add value such as a distributor (Shriro) who can settle their grey market and stocking problems or a CCD/CMOS technology company. The good news is that the Contax experience shows that Leica will be around for a lot longer despite it current problems.

What I see maybe next time we will have a company called "Leica Panasonic" or "Panasonic Leica", jus like sony ericsson. Then Leica will pass on its vast knowledge of camera and lenses and Panasonic do the repackaging and style of future cameras. Jus like partners between Ericsson and Sony now. I dont think it is a Shame for Leica as they might still have their brand name. What u guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Even the latest Lecia digital camera the Digilux 2, has a EXcat Panasonic relica, DMC-LC1
    More likely the other way round - the Digilux is a Panasonic camera with a custom finish and a red dot tacked on to justify an inflated price.

IMHO Leica has been resting on their laurels for decades and never really acquired the know-how to keep up with technology. They've had to borrow a lot from Minolta to get basic electronics into their rangefinder cameras in the 1970s, and I understand the Leica SLR line is also based on an old Minolta body (XE-1?).

Old technology isn't bad per se, but it's a rapidly shrinking market.

Digital has taken over the film... mindset has to change. everything is going digital.. can't help Leica. The Red "R" will be missing from the camera arena..

Yappy

Deregistered

At the PP Food Court or outside CP in the future...

"Leica ah? Orrr... very good, very sharp... now a subsidary of a Japanese conglomerate..."

Sharpness isn't everything. McDonald's doesn't have the perfect formula for burgers, but their business sense overcomes that. Wonder if Leica will become like A&W in Singapore...

Quote Originally Posted by sweat100
    What I see maybe next time we will have a company called "Leica Panasonic" or "Panasonic Leica", jus like sony ericsson. Then Leica will pass on its vast knowledge of camera and lenses and Panasonic do the repackaging and style of future cameras. Jus like partners between Ericsson and Sony now. I dont think it is a Shame for Leica as they might still have their brand name. What u guys think?

A good combination of packaging and electronic product skills with good lenses. Pity Panasonic missed the opportunity to be the first to manufacture a M-mount digital body. May be being second is better.

Perhaps Panasonic can extend the digital module R concept for Leica and other manufactures, in the same way Sigma, Tamron, etc became alternative lens suppliers. With digital backs, photographers will have an alternative and modular product to keep up with digital technology - no need to change the whole camera - just change the back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12