Thread: Lower Resolution -> lower image noise

Default Lower Resolution -> lower image noise

Hi,

Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question.

Been wanted to upgrade my A40 and was looking at some of the new long zoom models which is usually equipped with 4-5 Megapixels. If I remember correctly, for the same CCD size, a lower megapixel camera will produce less noise.

I don't think I need a very high resolution, i.e. 5 Megapixel, so I was wondering if a 5 Megapixel is set to take pic at 2 Megapixel (ie. 1600x1200), will the end result have less noise?

I managed to find something similar regarding this at photo.net

Anybody can help with this? Any links or sites would be good. Thanks

Blog Entries

I don't think so, but if you take the picture at 5MP and resize it to 2MP then the noise will be smaller or too small to see on a 4R

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    Hi,

Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question.

Been wanted to upgrade my A40 and was looking at some of the new long zoom models which is usually equipped with 4-5 Megapixels. If I remember correctly, for the same CCD size, a lower megapixel camera will produce less noise.

I don't think I need a very high resolution, i.e. 5 Megapixel, so I was wondering if a 5 Megapixel is set to take pic at 2 Megapixel (ie. 1600x1200), will the end result have less noise?

I managed to find something similar regarding this at photo.net

Anybody can help with this? Any links or sites would be good. Thanks
    Its a complex issue involving sensor size, pixel density, state of electronics and processing algoritm. Suggest you don't worry too much about, just look at some reviews or test-shoot yourself at high ISO.

Cheers,