Thread: Phuket!

Default Phuket!

I'm heading down to Phuket end of next week with my wife. We're gonna be there for a good 6 days! I'm packing my D3s, 28 f/1.8G and 50 f/1.8G. I'm wondering if I should also bring my SB700 along with me? Would you guys recommend bringing a tripod? We're staying right in the heart of Patong. I'm hoping to get some really nice shots! Any tips on good locations?
    D3s - (24-70 f/2.8)
    D700 - (14-24 f/2.8)

Default Re: Phuket!

Quote Originally Posted by screambitch View Post
    I'm heading down to Phuket end of next week with my wife. We're gonna be there for a good 6 days! I'm packing my D3s, 28 f/1.8G and 50 f/1.8G. I'm wondering if I should also bring my SB700 along with me? Would you guys recommend bringing a tripod? We're staying right in the heart of Patong. I'm hoping to get some really nice shots! Any tips on good locations?
    what do you shoot?

if you shooting landscape of course bring a tripod.

SB700 mm i'll say no need, but depends on what u wanna shoot also.

Did you mention you traveling with wife? In that case you gotta bring your SB700 liao, must take some nice pictures of her with the setting sun in the background on the beach

I try to get my wife involved when I am traveling rather than keep shooting landscapes, buildings etc.....as our partner, they may get bored, so one of my work around is to get her involved. She will be happy. If I keep shooting what I want only when we travel, I can be sure to see a black face daily, and that will spoil the whole trip. Tripod if you have a lightweight one, then please bring along also, with a wireless trigger. Take pictures with her together. It can be done bro

Most importantly enjoy the trip.
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

Yeap, with the wife! Looks like I'll bring my SB700 after all. Good thing about my wife is that she knows how to work my camera too. So we have fun shooting together. I might not want o bring the tripod along cause I'm afraid that it may get in the way. End of the day don't wanna get too tired out from carrying all the equipment around.
    D3s - (24-70 f/2.8)
    D700 - (14-24 f/2.8)

heart of phuket, i would assume tat's patong...
    personally, tat area is like bangkok's Nana...where all the ang moh gather to 'buy' love
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Hi TS sorry to hijack your thread but i'll be heading over end of next month as well! Anyone got good beach/sunset places to recommend?

I'll also be bringing 28 f1.8, 50f1.8 and sb700! only my camera's a D700...

Quote Originally Posted by Lingkang View Post
    Hi TS sorry to hijack your thread but i'll be heading over end of next month as well! Anyone got good beach/sunset places to recommend?

I'll also be bringing 28 f1.8, 50f1.8 and sb700! only my camera's a D700...
    head south there are a couple of view points & don't forget to go island hopping. You can choose between James bond island and Maya beach. you probably won't catch sunrises from these, but the tiny islands they bring you to are beautiful.
    Last edited by eleveninth; 1st November 2012 at 02:25 AM.

Would recommend you to rent a car or bike to explore Phuket. Go to Kata or Karon beach, it is more beautiful than Patong beach. Visit Phromthep Cape to capture the beautiful sunset. Along the way, there are resting point on the hill to capture the beatiful land and seascape

Book a day island hopping tour to Phi Phi island where can get to Viking caves, famous Maya Bay, Monkey beach and Phi Phi Don island.

Wow! Thanks for all the response guys! Will discuss with the wife and hopefully she agrees to go island hopping! She does not like boats. lol.
    D3s - (24-70 f/2.8)
    D700 - (14-24 f/2.8)

Wow! Thanks for all the response guys! Will discuss with the wife and hopefully she agrees to go island hopping! She does not like boats. lol.
    check the weather first before you go island hopping tho. Last time i went it was during rainy season. The boat can get pretty bumpy.

Many viewpoints with beautiful sceneries e.g. Promtheap Cape, Windmill Viewpoint, Kata Viewpoint (on top of hill overlooking Kata Noi beach). Check out here Phuket Viewpoints - Phromthep Cape, Big Buddha, Kata View Point, Rang Hill Visit to Phi Phi islands is a must as they are one of the most beautiful islands around. Have fun!

SB700 is quite unweildy & may be an overkill, best would be a SB400. Since D3s have no in-built flash, best be prepared for some indoor, street shots with the SB700. From your gears mentioned & as you have a family in tow, dont think a tripod is necessary.

Last edited by s1221ljc; 2nd November 2012 at 02:41 AM.

Wow, I checked out some of the viewpoints you mentioned. Really really nice! Hopefully my wife will be keen on going to 1 or 2 of the lookout points. Quick question, how's the sunrise or sunset at Patong beach?
    D3s - (24-70 f/2.8)
    D700 - (14-24 f/2.8)

It all depends on your luck Patong beach faces the west (sunset), is quite scenic in good weather but it is the most crowded beach around. Also, its all on flat ground, unlike the other viewpoints. Can use google earth to check out the viewpoints & the beaches. On location, many are more beautiful than as shown. My recommendation is travel south from Patong towards Promtheap, many of the beautiful checkpoints, beaches (Karon, Kata, Kata Noi, etc) & scenic spots are along the way.

Just take note than transport is rather difficult unless it is to the more well known locations. Last time I hired a car/minibus to explore about 10 of the beaches stretching from north to south as well as the viewpoints. Communication problem arises too as many cannot converse in English.

Wow, I checked out some of the viewpoints you mentioned. Really really nice! Hopefully my wife will be keen on going to 1 or 2 of the lookout points. Quick question, how's the sunrise or sunset at Patong beach?
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 2nd November 2012 at 11:14 AM.

I mean if we're moving around a fair bit then I guess we'll make arrangements with the hotel for transportation. I know it might be a bit more expensive but I guess it's a safer bet?
    D3s - (24-70 f/2.8)
    D700 - (14-24 f/2.8)

Of course, $$$ is international language which everyone understand & appreciate, & for which many things can be done

I mean if we're moving around a fair bit then I guess we'll make arrangements with the hotel for transportation. I know it might be a bit more expensive but I guess it's a safer bet?
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 2nd November 2012 at 11:35 AM.

the tuk tuks quite okay, diff from the ones usually seen, look like mini vans. I took one where the guy drop me off at my location, then say don't have to pay him until he pick me up later on.

If you decided to go island hopping like Phi Phi Islands, do not book too early, best is just one day in advance so you can be more comfortable of what the weather will be the following day. If you book the tour in the hotel will be more expensive but with same type of speed boat used in tour shop just outside the hotel . Most of the speed boat have three motor with about 650 to 750 HP, some with up to five motor about 1250 HP. Try not to change lens on the boat, best to shoot with wide and telephoto lens, the boat do not stop at all islands, you need to shoot from a distance.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro