Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88

Thread: Your Pentax Story

  1. #41
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    My interest in photography began when I was on a trip to Beijing and Shanghai back in mid-2010. Took some photos of the Bund at night and seeing how beautiful the skyline is on TV, I anticipated and thought I'd get something good. However, the image on my digital compact was dismal. That made me want to get a dSLR upon return. I read somewhere (not CS) that Pentax K-X offers good value and at the same time I stumbled upon Clubsnap and then posted my burning question. You can still see my link, typical newbie questions.

    There was much selling from night86mare (now edutilos), pinholecam, flowerpot, Supersimon27 and among others to buy me in. Night86mare even provided many luring photos (of lenses), Supersimon27 shared his shots and pinholecam shared the Pentax outing shots with me. I was so close to buying Pentax. I felt quite welcomed and not being shot down for my silly questions which now when I look back I chuckle to myself.

    In the end, I decided to get a Canon 1000D because I had some Canon lenses passed down from film cameras. Still remember pinholecam ask me to "Proceeds to the nearest office window and jumps out".

    After some time, I moved from 1000D to 60D to eventually 5D2. I only started being more active when I bought the 5D2, especially to learn more techniques in landscape and architectures. For the past 7 months which I began to be active, I kept asking myself whether this amount I spend is worthwhile. It is worthwhile from a spiritual enjoyment point of view, but in the end, I want to have more value for what I own. I guess in the end there is still a part of me that wanted to use a Pentax system. There is somehow a sense of simplicity without so many lenses to choose from. I pondered about the standard zoom, pondered about 17-40 vs 16-35, pondered about which version of the 70-200. It is a bottomless pit.

    Going from FF back to cropped may not be as common as cropped to FF, but I am hoping to continue pursuing my learning with K5, having heard a lot about the dynamic range of the camera. Besides that, the 7 fps also impressed me. I'm not a portrait shooter, other than the casual portraits during events so for that, I figured I'd let my OM-D do the job. I don't need very shallow dof anyway.

    I'm still looking for a Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6. I'm itching to bring it out to test once i get the lens, will post photos once i bring it out to test!

  2. #42
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    I upgraded from Canon 5D2 to Pentax K5. Just to share the first few shots made by the camera and Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM. Still learning how to make good use of the dynamic range of the camera.










  3. #43

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    In the end, I decided to get a Canon 1000D because I had some Canon lenses passed down from film cameras. Still remember pinholecam ask me to "Proceeds to the nearest office window and jumps out".

    Aiyo!
    You got it wrong..
    After all the effort trying to persuade you and in the end you got something else, I meant
    " I " - "Proceed to the nearest office window and jumps out".

    Anyway, I've seen your photos in the various threads.
    Well done, no matter the camera!

  4. #44
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam

    Aiyo!
    You got it wrong..
    After all the effort trying to persuade you and in the end you got something else, I meant
    " I " - "Proceed to the nearest office window and jumps out".

    Anyway, I've seen your photos in the various threads.
    Well done, no matter the camera!
    Hahahah no matter what the way u put it was very funny lah. Hahah. Thanks!

  5. #45
    Member jasonlel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Malaysia/Singapore
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Mine is simple, wife want to buy dslr for me and she bought a Pentax....
    Nikon D700, Nikkor 20mm f2.8, 35mm/50mm f1.8G

  6. #46
    Member Cenvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore - West Side
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlel View Post
    Mine is simple, wife want to buy dslr for me and she bought a Pentax....
    Your wife made a wise choice and your are wise to marry her
    ペンタックス K1 K5, FA31, FA77, DA15, DA* 16-50, Sigma 10-20, Metz 58 AF-2

  7. #47
    Member jasonlel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Malaysia/Singapore
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenvin

    Your wife made a wise choice and your are wise to marry her
    Kekekekeke.....
    Nikon D700, Nikkor 20mm f2.8, 35mm/50mm f1.8G

  8. #48

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    i recently purchased pentax k30 from e-offers pte ltd (? link with emjay)

    loved it immediately.


    a lot of people ask me why i use a brand that is so uncommon and rarely talked about

    for me, pentax captures human spontaneity and warmth

    proud to call myself a pentaxian












  9. #49

    Default

    I started with Canon + 4L lens. Cost me more than $10k.
    But as the lens are expensive and white color and I like my things to be clear n mint condition. So I seldom use it
    And they are all very heavy.

    Soon I found out about olympus E3 and water resistant SWD lens
    Olympus produce pro photos and half price of canon.
    And so I change my whole system to Olympus. But as Olympus are not improving their E series. So I gave up.

    Why I choose Pentax?
    Price is compariable with Olympus. And most important its water resistance.

    I always go to water park with my kids and some time standy under a super big bucket of water with my Pentax K5. And when the thousand of liters of water pour over me with my pentax. Alot of people look at me cos they think that im crazy .

    And when my lens fog up externally . I just dip my lens into water and wash away the fog.

    I believe no other brands can survive on how I treat my Pentax.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    Quote Originally Posted by morganoh View Post

    And when my lens fog up externally . I just dip my lens into water and wash away the fog.

    I believe no other brands can survive on how I treat my Pentax.
    For real?? Dip the lens into water and wash away the fog!!

    Wow.I never know Pentax is that durable >.<

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ranchy View Post

    For real?? Dip the lens into water and wash away the fog!!

    Wow.I never know Pentax is that durable >.<
    Wats wrong with dipping the front lens elements into the pool to rinse off fog?

    Not that different from getting splashed in heavy rain imo...

    U just cant submerge the whole camera under water.

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    I just bought a Pentax today !!!

    K-30 Kit set. Hope to learn much from everyone here !!!

  13. #53
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,108

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    Quote Originally Posted by sup3rm2n View Post
    I just bought a Pentax today !!!

    K-30 Kit set. Hope to learn much from everyone here !!!

    Welcome to the Pentax family!!
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  14. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sup3rm2n
    I just bought a Pentax today !!!

    K-30 Kit set. Hope to learn much from everyone here !!!
    Welcome to the family. I am sure you'll have a fruitful journey with Pentax
    PENTAX | NIKON FE
    Flickr

  15. #55

    Default

    Welcome latest Pentax newcomer! Come and post ur Pentax story!

  16. #56

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    My story with Pentax is abit different, started only about 2 years ago after my son was born. Before that, photography to me is only admiring the works in National Geographic magazine and thinking "they must have lots of $ to buy expensive camera and a talent to shoot that!" while using a Sony P&S for family occasions/outing.

    After our son was born, my wife asked me to research on buying a DSLR cos we see many parents using them and we assumed using one would definitely take good photos. So I researched/compared Canon 550D and Nikon 5100 at that time until my colleague told me of the Pentax K-x her brother just bought which she think is both good and budget friendly. So I read up on Pentax and decided to buy a Pentax K-r when it was announced, after minor confrontation with my wife why Pentax was my choice instead of Canon or Nikon.

    Today, I am using K-r with DA35 f2.4 and a modified manual focus K-x (takes Nikon, Olympus, Yashica and Konica lenses as well). Loved Pentax even more after that modification.
    Below is taken with K-x mounted with Nikon 28-70 AF-S f3.5-4.5.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarelsek View Post
    My story with Pentax is abit different, started only about 2 years ago after my son was born. Before that, photography to me is only admiring the works in National Geographic magazine and thinking "they must have lots of $ to buy expensive camera and a talent to shoot that!" while using a Sony P&S for family occasions/outing.

    After our son was born, my wife asked me to research on buying a DSLR cos we see many parents using them and we assumed using one would definitely take good photos. So I researched/compared Canon 550D and Nikon 5100 at that time until my colleague told me of the Pentax K-x her brother just bought which she think is both good and budget friendly. So I read up on Pentax and decided to buy a Pentax K-r when it was announced, after minor confrontation with my wife why Pentax was my choice instead of Canon or Nikon.

    Today, I am using K-r with DA35 f2.4 and a modified manual focus K-x (takes Nikon, Olympus, Yashica and Konica lenses as well). Loved Pentax even more after that modification.
    Below is taken with K-x mounted with Nikon 28-70 AF-S f3.5-4.5.
    Ah.. you shared at Pentaxforum and was featured about the modifications. Well done...... impressed by it

  18. #58
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Your Pentax Story

    Quote Originally Posted by ranchy View Post
    Ah.. you shared at Pentaxforum and was featured about the modifications. Well done...... impressed by it
    https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pe...lti-mount.html

    Here's the link

  19. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarelsek View Post
    My story with Pentax is abit different, started only about 2 years ago after my son was born. Before that, photography to me is only admiring the works in National Geographic magazine and thinking "they must have lots of $ to buy expensive camera and a talent to shoot that!" while using a Sony P&S for family occasions/outing.

    After our son was born, my wife asked me to research on buying a DSLR cos we see many parents using them and we assumed using one would definitely take good photos. So I researched/compared Canon 550D and Nikon 5100 at that time until my colleague told me of the Pentax K-x her brother just bought which she think is both good and budget friendly. So I read up on Pentax and decided to buy a Pentax K-r when it was announced, after minor confrontation with my wife why Pentax was my choice instead of Canon or Nikon.

    Today, I am using K-r with DA35 f2.4 and a modified manual focus K-x (takes Nikon, Olympus, Yashica and Konica lenses as well). Loved Pentax even more after that modification.
    Below is taken with K-x mounted with Nikon 28-70 AF-S f3.5-4.5.
    Wahhh....can do a piece for me hahahaha....thumbs up man....another talented pentaxians...cheers

  20. #60

    Default

    I have a. Spare k-x .. would like to try multi mount too!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •