Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Free Photographer Needed?

on the topic of FREE PHOTOGRAPHIC, just wondering if anyone will help shoot for free for either

1) charity events
    2) non-profit organization holding an event (very low budget on the event)
    3) students doing some events like funfair, etc.
    4) friends (porfolio, bday parties, chalets, etc)
    5) friends, as main photographer in wedding or huge party
    6) shooting for famous fashion shows such as victoria secrets, etc. (t&c set by them)

just a poll on wheather u'll still charge for these, or just happy with some small "compensation" like meals, transport, base printing cost, or maybe some will even not take anything at all

for me, i dun mind doing 1-4 for free or some compensation. but 5 gotta get some ang pow lah, as luck.

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    and some ppl will think "your cam so big only 6MP, my S70 small small but 7MP, of coz mine will be better than u"
    And then you should reply: "Wow. that's remarkable. Maybe you should consider publishing your works!"

Default Re: FOC photographer

It got to see the experience again from the event or project. Or it is a charity work. But the travelling n meal should pay by the organize. I will do it for charity work lor. For other got to see.

you guys are still at it?!

let's face it ... some people regard PR/events photography as at the lowest rung of commercial photography. if you want to compete at this level, you must be prepared to deal with all sorts of people that comes with it. this is the group which may consist of people who don't regard photography as an art form. to them, a PR/events photographer is just someone who walks around holding an expensive camera taking shots. they don't care if you are using a 8.2mp DSLR with L-lens, how smooth the bokeh is, how you composed following rules of thirds, how you utilise bounce flash. or even simply, how well the picture looks. to them, a shot of an event is just that, a shot of an event.

gone are the days when a photographer is hired not only to cover the events, but also for his technical expertise. how many of the new generation of local PR photographers can shoot manual flash, balance fill-in for backlighting, exposure manually AND focus manually all at the same time, and you only have a few seconds to get that money making shot? i know i can't! as a result of today's automation, the technical level of 'professional' photography has fallen to within reach of the 'common' people, hence the current crop of so called 'photographers' who are eager to make their equipment useful. even as recent as 2,3 years back, i still remember i had to follow a photographer for 2 whole weeks before i was handed my first assignment, and even so, that was a relatively simple event of ROM day photography. nowadays, you have people jumping straight into a full-day wedding shoot.

now i find myself at the bottom of the barrel again, starting out as assistant to commercial photographers. even at this level, gone are the days when technical excellence is of utmost importance (only secondary to the photographer's aesthetic values). it used to be situation where the photographer has to be 100% sure of what he's doing even before he expose the very first polaroid. now with digital imagery (prices nonwithstanding)... it's usually the case of pop a shot first before the composition is even set. rarely heard now are words like 'check dust'...now more like , "nevermind, can clone away" "later etch out"

am i OT-ing? i believe so! just finding an opportunity to rant

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    let's face it ... some people regard PR/events photography as at the lowest rung of commercial photography. if you want to compete at this level, you must be prepared to deal with all sorts of people that comes with it. this is the group which may consist of people who don't regard photography as an art form. to them, a PR/events photographer is just someone who walks around holding an expensive camera taking shots. they don't care if you are using a 8.2mp DSLR with L-lens, how smooth the bokeh is, how you composed following rules of thirds, how you utilise bounce flash. or even simply, how well the picture looks. to them, a shot of an event is just that, a shot of an event.

gone are the days when a photographer is hired not only to cover the events, but also for his technical expertise. how many of the new generation of local PR photographers can shoot manual flash, balance fill-in for backlighting, exposure manually AND focus manually all at the same time, and you only have a few seconds to get that money making shot? i know i can't! as a result of today's automation, the technical level of 'professional' photography has fallen to within reach of the 'common' people, hence the current crop of so called 'photographers' who are eager to make their equipment useful. even as recent as 2,3 years back, i still remember i had to follow a photographer for 2 whole weeks before i was handed my first assignment, and even so, that was a relatively simple event of ROM day photography. nowadays, you have people jumping straight into a full-day wedding shoot.

now i find myself at the bottom of the barrel again, starting out as assistant to commercial photographers. even at this level, gone are the days when technical excellence is of utmost importance (only secondary to the photographer's aesthetic values). it used to be situation where the photographer has to be 100% sure of what he's doing even before he expose the very first polaroid. now with digital imagery (prices nonwithstanding)... it's usually the case of pop a shot first before the composition is even set. rarely heard now are words like 'check dust'...now more like , "nevermind, can clone away" "later etch out"

well-spoken Words of wisdom

Heh heh...another interesting post. Think a lot has been discussed.

Seriously, one can't please everybody. Rules here may not apply elsewhere in other forums (eg advertisements may even be frowned upon), other photogs may not agree to your way of operation esp when $$ is concerned, this is real business so it's dog-eat-dog world. Just do what you think is correct within limits of course (eg don't try to sabo other biz/ad threads). If you can survive and continue earning additional income, that's good.

One tip i can give that is hopefully useful, advertisements and replies to ads in forums are always going to require more work and have more pepper n salt added. Network with more people and do up a set of nice namecard and distribute, there is bound to be one client who finds your work great in value and get you more customers, it will be easier from then on as the "web" spreads. Heck, even my AD make-up artist is helping me lots. Pair yourself up with a wedding planning company or events company, quite a number are helping and I have some which don't even require a commission to be earned.
    You will find that 1 shoot per month is very possible, even if your skills are nowhere near the pros. There are many ways in doing things, taking good pics doesn't mean success, you will survive if you can reach a certain level in both photo-taking and biz technique.

I read someone saying that events taking is the lowest rung. Actually I don't think so, well at least not for me. Much easier and less leh-che than actual days. Just take, ensure good pics, minimal post-processing, minimal demands, no need to sweet talk, etc... hehe.... You will really smile when you hit something that pays you 150 for an hours jobbie.

Anyway, just a short rant, good luck and cheers.

I guess free photography and sponsored photography are 2 different issues.

Personally, I have seen SOME of the pictures taken by these so-called "free" photographers that are certainly not up to the peak for newsletter or web publishing.

Let me relate to you about a senerio that I encountered with a "free" photographer. I was with a "free" amateur photographer in one of the wedding shoot (someone from Club Snap actually, but names not to be metioned and wanted to keep a portfolio for himself. His friend, the groom is quite a known personality) and honestly, he does not even know what to do. Upon shooting, I actually taught him things like where he should actually position himeself and what sort of aperture he should use to gain enough depth. After all those "free" instructions, he thought he could outlearn what he had learnt in a short while.

Whilst in church, (using a Canon 10D and 300D) I told him not to go too close whilst the couple is walking bride and the dad is walking down the aisle but most unfortunately, he did not take my advice, so he decided that he is "the photographer" and went right in front of me trying to deprive me from taking the pictures. Being frustrated, I mounted my 16-35 on my EOS 1Ds and went in front of him instead and at the end of the day, he could not even get a single shot of the couple coming in. Certainly I am not saying that all free and sposored photographers are not up to the peak but again there are indeed the SOME who think that they are the "pros" or at least, act like one.

Everyone will certainly need a head start in everything but I guess in whatever area that you are in, be humble. It is a very small circle in this industry and someday, somehow, one will get to meet in an event, function or a wedding.

A little advice for the newbies. Learn about photography and be really up to the mark if you want to do a sponsored job. It always seemed easier than one thinks. If you think that you are just wanting to do a free job and thus, keeping the pictures as a portfolio, it certainly will not bring you very far. I hope this helps, no offense intended.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Yup, its a free market. Everyone is free to charge what they like.

But remember this, u charge cheap, u'll get ppl flocking to u. NOT BECAUSE YOUR PHOTO IS GOOD, but because you are CHEAP.

In any place where there is human beings, the straight fact of "1+1=2" doesn't apply anymore. Look at the high ideal of Communism and see what happened to it when it gets implemented by Earthlings.
    i admit yes....when i shoot weddings for free....got lots of deals! Free one people just grab!

but i had enough fun last year already .... and now only shoot for friends and fellow bro and sis-in-Christ only..... for other people , i will refer to my friends who shoot paid assignments....

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    I read someone saying that events taking is the lowest rung. Actually I don't think so, well at least not for me. Much easier and less leh-che than actual days. Just take, ensure good pics, minimal post-processing, minimal demands, no need to sweet talk, etc... hehe.... You will really smile when you hit something that pays you 150 for an hours jobbie.
    lol..just want to clarify something here.

i'm not sure if that 'someone' you were referring to was me. in any case, i did not say events taking is the lowest rung, the 'some people' i was referring to were the clients themselves. please don't misunderstand!

anyway, it's good that you are able to earn good money by not doing relatively much as you have described. i don't know about you, but after a while, won't you start to question yourself, is this the kind of photography you want to pursue forever? am i doing this for quick easy money, or do i really love taking pictures of events?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura_papaya
    i think and i strongly support our forum to ban those who try to exploit our benefit....here i got some suggestion about some standard charges for pro photog and semi pro and freelance.

if pro and who had good profile, we should charge SG350-400 per event.
    semi pro - SG250-300
    amatuer who had good photo skill/ at least reasonable port folio - SG150 with some appreciation gift.

is it sound reasonable to all of you?

kimu
    WAH, so cheap huh? Got include free prints or not...

lol..just want to clarify something here.

i'm not sure if that 'someone' you were referring to was me. in any case, i did not say events taking is the lowest rung, the 'some people' i was referring to were the clients themselves. please don't misunderstand!

but after a while, won't you start to question yourself, is this the kind of photography you want to pursue forever? am i doing this for quick easy money, or do i really love taking pictures of events?
    Oh...yeah, sorry, guess i misunderstood as i was just glancing through the myraid of msgs.

OT a bit for your 2nd para: Well I guess there is a distinction between hobby and job. I like taking events so it's good that it can bring in some $ while taking, but actually I have noticed as time goes by, event after event, the same thing happens the same way, the same performances may even appear (eg Suz** wong, came across her thrice already), it is becoming stale. I always chat up with some really experienced videographers, chances is that they tell you that they are quite sian of the job and talk about other stuff like Toto or what. Job and hobby don't mix. Likewise, I am in the IT line and I used to really like computers but after being in the line for 7 years, i don't upgrade my comp yearly anymore.....this line sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    WAH, so cheap huh? Got include free prints or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura_papaya
    ........if pro and who had good profile, we should charge SG350-400 per event.
    semi pro - SG250-300

amatuer who had good photo skill/ at least reasonable port folio - SG150 with some appreciation gift.

is it sound reasonable to all of you?
    What do you have in mind of "some appreciation gift"?

A pair of goldfish from the bride and groom?

Leftover cakes and paper plates from the event organiser?
    Last edited by Sion; 9th March 2005 at 07:34 PM.

So pray tell, where does a photographer with good composition and eye, but lack a professional DSLR, and only possess a prosumer but has decent/semi-pro DI skills stand?Should he or she still engage in events photography?If it were me starting out, I think I would be willing to do NGOs and social activism groups' shots for a token sum for gaining the experience and networking.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345