Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Free Photographer Needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Personally I find those people who want super cheap or free photography are the fussiest and worst lots. They will take one bad shot out of the hundreds you've shot and make an issue out of it.

On top of it they take you for granted and show little or no appreciation for the efforts you put it.
    OK loh, want to fuss, den destroy the whole lot. No fuss, no muss.

Does this constitute as 'Blackmailing'?

Erm... CYRN, wazzup with Ford?

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    OK loh, want to fuss, den destroy the whole lot. No fuss, no muss.

Does this constitute as 'Blackmailing'?

Erm... CYRN, wazzup with Ford?
    He made cars "just good enuf" cars at very affordable price using manufacturing line mass production technique... he overtook the entire US car market.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

But remember this, u charge cheap, u'll get ppl flocking to u. NOT BECAUSE YOUR PHOTO IS GOOD, but because you are CHEAP.
    Trust me, this is something that is not sustainable. Why dun we look at this at a different perspective, that is are we good enough to start charging?

Whether we charge a premium or not is individual perception of their own skill, if you think you are not good enough, then dont charge high. But there must still be a minimum that must be charged for the costs of covering the events, at least break even, unless you working at at cost to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot
    Trust me, this is something that is not sustainable. Why dun we look at this at a different perspective, that is are we good enough to start charging?
    Hmm.... If dat's da case, how good muz one be before he/she can turn fully professional, startup a business proper and start charging?

And to add on, dun say abt charging a premium like $1K or wad. One don't go out, shoot for free for an event and den do everything (including film development or ur hard hours in front of da computer doing contrast adjustments) for FREE without even charging the basic for ur raw material cost.

Unless u had already attained the highest Maslow state of Self-Actualisation. Or u are one of the winners in last week's Toto $10 Million Jackpot draw, I got nothing to say.
    Last edited by jsbn; 22nd February 2005 at 04:18 PM.

Ahem,
    I think everybody has gone off tangent here. To quote espn's first post;

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    In the hike of view on the latest hype in finding FOC photographers.

Just really wondering, is there really a budget for a photographer or there isn't?

I mean the money might have been *ahem* by the organiser?

You won't plan an event without calculating your expected expenses and plan for a photographer last right?

Any HR personnel can comment? Like the money to be paid is normally done via petty cash claims so there's no hardcopy evidence?

Just really wondering because I find 'low budget' or 'no budget' very weird. If you can think of a photographer, you should already have the intention to hire one.

And if payments are done by petty cash, there's no stopping of the person-in-charge to draw out the petty cash and look for free one. Right?

Constructive comments only please, no banal, no flames needed.
    I think he is asking for comments on whether there is misdemeanour going on when an organiser asks for a free photog. As I said in an earlier post, I think it is *possible* but unlikely. I might also add that I am vaguely perturbed by the insinuation that the folk here who are asking for free or cheap service, diabolical though their aims are, are somehow being dishonest to their companies. I think that is unfair and uncalled for.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN
    He made cars "just good enuf" cars at very affordable price using manufacturing line mass production technique... he overtook the entire US car market.
    That was da last century I believe?

Unless u had already attained the highest Maslow state of Self-Actualisation. Or u are one of the winners in last week's Toto $10 Million Jackpot draw, I got nothing to say.
    Hahaha.. I'm still at the lowest of Maslow's 7 state...

I thing litefoot is toking about setting up a business proper... even if a freelancer must also be full time photog.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Ahem,

I think he is asking for comments on whether there is misdemeanour going on when an organiser asks for a free photog. As I said in an earlier post, I think it is *possible* but unlikely. I might also add that I am vaguely perturbed by the insinuation that the folk here who are asking for free or cheap service, diabolical though their aims are, are somehow being dishonest to their companies. I think that is unfair and uncalled for.

Cheers,
    Yep yep... but this leads to a second implied question... what is the appropriate rate? Is there a base value where we know this wouldn't happen (i ment taking ALL the monies) but at least from the photg POV, he's fairly compansated (regardless of how much was being pocketed).

Cuz while he can control his payment, he can't control the claim.
    Last edited by CYRN; 22nd February 2005 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Ahem,

Cheers,
    Ok lah, steer da boat back to da river frm da deep blue sea....

Of cos, if u wanna tok abt ppl 'eating' money that is supposed to meant for others, of cos that is wrong lah. This kinda ppl who gains at other ppl's loss ought to be sent to da firing squad or the beheading dais.

Ok lah, steer da boat back to da river frm da deep blue sea....

Of cos, if u wanna tok abt ppl 'eating' money that is supposed to meant for others, of cos that is wrong lah. This kinda ppl who gains at other ppl's loss ought to be sent to da firing squad or the beheading dais.

that are lots of this type of ppl everywhere......

Hahaha.. I'm still at the lowest of Maslow's 7 state...

I thing litefoot is toking about setting up a business proper... even if a freelancer must also be full time photog.
    Me too... Hahaha...

Maybe litefoot is toking abt a business proper whilst my radar screen is on like charging to cover material cost, transport cost or even camera rental cost to say the least.

But den again to hold onto the words, "How good are u to even start charging me?" is one surefire way to exploit any newbie photographer regardless of his skill level. As with human beings, all of us would exploit ppl's weaknesses, play it up to our advantage and 'eat' the person until he dun even have an underwear on him to wear.

As I'm saying this, I had already encountered it liaoz. Fortunately, there ain't any sharp objects around that time....
    Last edited by jsbn; 22nd February 2005 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    that are lots of this type of ppl everywhere......
    There's a way... do a direct claim... but if you freelance... how you produce a receipt and the auditors accept?

Hmm.... I think some company's do it right? U show da pictures to da boss, he tells his secretary to write u a petty cash voucher and den u goto accounts dept to claim?

Got such thing or not?

Well, photography is part science and part art.

The science part is pretty standard... Hey! Its just light! Get the exposure right and you will see an image instead of just darkness or pure white. Geez... today's DSLR AF and built in exposure meter does most of these anyway. Heck, any tom, dick or harry can press ze button.

The art part is pretty subjective. Some folks like certain kindof shots while others don't. It is your experience and your eye for composition. It is this part which gives you your variable payments. It is your dedication to the craft and hobby.

There are probably some folks out there who just need a person to press the button on a DSLR. And these will make up your demand for free photogs....

Then again there are some who really DO NOT have the budget. Weddings are no cheap affairs... neither are student organized events - I was a student, once upon a time. Anyway, I've done my share of free shoots for needy friends.... Oh... they usually gimme a ang pao, not much, but I appreciate it anyway.

Then again there was this one time when a newbie photog charged X dollars for a wedding of a friend of mine and he had like zero experience. My good friend "volunteered" me as well ("Btw, he is a photgrapher too!!!" ). But since he was already paying the other guy, I just told him not to worry about it, its free.

Which was lucky, coz the newbie pics weren't what the couple wanted in the end. Plus he used a ultra wide for wedding dinner tables and distorted everyone at the sides.

So... sometimes you pay gold but still get peanuts...

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus

So... sometimes you pay gold but still get peanuts...
    Actually it should go... "sometimes, you pay in gold but still employed monkeys"

There's always 2 side of a story... for this case, it's the couple that made an uninformed choice... juz like what we should "educate" the others... dun make uninformed choice.

Quote Originally Posted by scud
    IMO, the organising committee (not necessary from HR) has the mind set of
    1. if company has a digicam, can make use of the cam lor. why need to hire one person just to take photo?
    2. he/she knows how to take good photos, so ask his/her help.
    3. so expensive to hire one, might as well pay me some fraction of it and I use my 4mp P&S to shoot.
    and some ppl will think "your cam so big only 6MP, my S70 small small but 7MP, of coz mine will be better than u"

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    and some ppl will think "your cam so big only 6MP, my S70 small small but 7MP, of coz mine will be better than u"
    My black bulky junkie is only 4MP, even worst!

... juz like what we should "educate" the others... dun make uninformed choice.
    To add on my post regarding "education"

Quote Originally Posted by Lilin
    I was told of this forum and to try asking for help here as there are people here who do not mind helping in return for the experience (Thanks to ***** and all who have pm me). I am sorry if any of you feel offended or slighted by the offer.
    My stand is this.... if you are a member of CS, should take in the pros as well as the cons of CS... if it gains a reputation of being a source of "budget/free" photog... then you either live with it, avoid it or change it. Cuz regardless of how much "noise" is being made, someone here still volunteer.

Lastly, even if noise be made, I felt that it should be "reasonable" and factual. ie that thread starter was blasted straight from the start... this is not helping the "reputation" of the photog community here.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ23
    My black bulky junkie is only 4MP, even worst!
    how bout those D1....
    haha super small...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast