Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Copying from CompactDrive to PC

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default Copying from CompactDrive to PC

    Realize then I copy many files in 1 go (eg. 1GB of files) from my CompactDrive to PC, it will actually hang. However, if I copy 5 files at a time, it's fine. Why is this so? Btw, my PC is running on XP and connected the drive thru USB2.

    Please advise.

    Tq

  2. #2

    Default

    Which version? I'm using the one with just 1 button and can copy gigs at a time, but it's awfully slow.

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    Realize then I copy many files in 1 go (eg. 1GB of files) from my CompactDrive to PC, it will actually hang. However, if I copy 5 files at a time, it's fine. Why is this so? Btw, my PC is running on XP and connected the drive thru USB2.

    Please advise.

    Tq

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    Which version? I'm using the one with just 1 button and can copy gigs at a time, but it's awfully slow.
    I am using the PD7X. Copying is very fast, but I can't seem to copy many files in 1 go. Anything on my PC to check?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    I have been using the PD7X and copying 1 and 2 GB of data to my pc without a problem.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    I have been using the PD7X and copying 1 and 2 GB of data to my pc without a problem.
    hmm ... could be some settings or such. just received a reply from their support team ...

    " There are several reason to incur USB problem.
    1, The USB connector should be plug into the USB socket behind your PC.
    2, DO NOT use extend USB cable
    3, Some PC using Sis7001 USB chip can't recognize the CompactDrive . Please adjust the BIOS setting to correct this problem
    4, Windows2000 should be upgrade to ServicePack3 to support USB2.0 device.
    5, WindowsXP should be upgrade to ServicePack1 to support USB2.0 device.
    6,If you using USB2.0 PCI card, you should install the correct device driver.
    7,Windows98/Me can't recognize USB2.0 device ."

    Not much help though (I think)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    Hmm not much help indeed. I think you can only take care of point 1 and 5.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Hmm not much help indeed. I think you can only take care of point 1 and 5.
    Point 1?

    Point 5, yes now on SP2.

    Read on the web that some people have same problem when copying from those USB external HDD too. Maybe go back tonight search for more info.

  8. #8

    Default

    Pt 5 is bull-****.
    Windows XP SP1 or SP2 will support USB 2.0 equally well.

    Rgd, Pt1, If the Front Panel USB is a USB 2.0 and is connected to the mainboard's USB pins, then I dont see the Difference btw the Front Panel USB 2.0 and the back USB 2.0 ports.
    I have used the Front Panel USB 2.0 ports for CF readers and USB 2.0 HDDs and the ports are able to supply enough power for these devices equally well.

    But the Pt2, about not using an extension USB cable is true for USB HDD. since I noticed the USB HDD do not get enough power if a extension is used.
    But I tested it on CF readers reading CFs, it seems to provide enough power for CFs, not sure abt MicroDrives though.


    Test copying on another windows XP PC using USB 2.0 (perferably on-board USB 2.0 and not PCI USB 2.0 card)

    Dont need to install USB 2.0 drivers or CF reader drivers since XP auto-detects it.

    If the same problem happens its probably not a driver issue.

    Or Test it on another CF reader (diff brand if possible), if ur fren has another one.
    Last edited by Winston; 23rd February 2005 at 01:07 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    In this small world
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    I presume you are using a ViaTech mainboard, as I am using one now. When I am copying from my USB card reader to the harddisk connected to the ViaTech mainboard IDE connector, it will hang. But when I copy to the harddisk connected to the Promise ATA100 card, it will not. Same like you, I copy 5 files at a time, it will not hang.

  10. #10

    Default

    use another card reader.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    I presume you are using a ViaTech mainboard, as I am using one now. When I am copying from my USB card reader to the harddisk connected to the ViaTech mainboard IDE connector, it will hang. But when I copy to the harddisk connected to the Promise ATA100 card, it will not. Same like you, I copy 5 files at a time, it will not hang.
    Aha! Finally there is hope. Err ... the Promise ATA100 card is a separate USB card huh? Currently I connect to those USB ports which came with my mobo.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    home
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    Aha! Finally there is hope. Err ... the Promise ATA100 card is a separate USB card huh? Currently I connect to those USB ports which came with my mobo.
    nope, the promise ATA 100 card is an IDE card, for connecting Hard Disks. What's your motherboard model ? Maybe you can try getting or borrow an PCI USB2 Card to test it out first.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    Aha! Finally there is hope. Err ... the Promise ATA100 card is a separate USB card huh? Currently I connect to those USB ports which came with my mobo.
    Sounds like a compatitbility problem.

    My fren was using a VIA-chipset based PCI USB 2.0 and have intermittent problems with it, like problems detecting and somethings it didnt detect as USB 2.0

    He went to buy another Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI card and it worked fine.

    I never like VIA chipset based products, mobos or not.

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Just to add my experience.

    I have a VIA based motherboard with on board HPT 370 raid (where my hard disk are connected) as well as a VIA PCI USB 2.0 add on card.

    When I copy from the Compact drive attached to the PCI USB 2.0 add on card, I might get time out after some time, and that time is quite random.
    If the number of files copied is big like a few GB, then almost certain will hit, but if small like a few photos, then unlikely. 100-200MB is a 50-50 chance.

    I don't get hang as in the whole computer hang, "just" the copy operation failed, so I am wondering if that is other's experience.

    Plug the compact drive to my laptop which is intel chipset USB solution, perfect sailing. Perhaps I could have tried connecting the Compact drive to the laptop and on the PC I map the compact drive as a drive

    I have used a couple of other USB2.0 drive casing for 2.5" hdd as well as USB2.0 card reader on this VIA PCI USB 2.0 card and never had a problem, so it might be that the compact drive has some compatibility issue with VIA based USB 2.0 solution.


    Renegade, is your motherboard using VIA chipset for USB? If so you might want to try an PCI USB2.0 card (non-VIA of course, perhaps NEC?).

    Also note that some motherboard have multiple USB ports, which are handled by different chips, of which some might be non VIA. If so you can try those as well..........If you are not sure, you can state your motherboard model and version, I believe some of us here can confirm for you.

  15. #15
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    For those that have problems with copying files from Compact drive to computer, can answer the following questions to see if we can piece some information together?
    Here is my own copy.

    1. Do you have problems detecting the compact drive before initiating a copy operation? (Answer no if detection problem only occur after a failed copy operation)
    Yes/No --- No

    2. When the copy operation fail, does the whole computer hang, or it fails "gracefully" (computer still operational otherwise)
    Hangs/Still usable --- Still Usable

    3. Are you using USB ports on the motherboard or on add on PCI USB 2.0 card?
    Motherboard/PCI Add on --- PCI Add on

    4. Are the USB port you used based on VIA chipset? Which chipset is it?
    Yes/No --- Yes, VIA 6202
    Last edited by frisky; 27th February 2005 at 09:12 AM.

  16. #16

    Default

    Previously using those kinda of cheapo card reader to read my 80x CF card, same problem. Then one day went down to Burlington square and got the Twinmos Cardreader, now no problem at all liao.

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    THanks everyone for the useful info. Frisky, I guess my mobo uses VIA chipset. WIll have to try a PCI USB card now.

    Anyway ...

    1. Are you have problems detecting the compact drive before initiating a copy operation? (Answer no if detection problem only occur after a failed copy operation)
    No

    2. When the copy operation fail, does the whole computer hang, or it fails "gracefully" (computer still operational otherwise)
    Still usable

    3. Are you using USB ports on the motherboard or on add on PCI USB 2.0 card?
    Motherboard

    4. Are the USB port you used based on VIA chipset? Which chipset is it?
    Yes. VIA K8T800

  18. #18
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    THanks everyone for the useful info. Frisky, I guess my mobo uses VIA chipset. WIll have to try a PCI USB card now.

    4. Are the USB port you used based on VIA chipset? Which chipset is it?
    Yes. VIA K8T800
    Hee, just make sure you don't try a PCI VIA USB 2.0 card
    So far those I have seen mainly use VIA or NEC chipset, and in some case ALI chipset. I had good experience with NEC ones, but I didn't test it with Compact Drive. Shouldn't cost you much, about $30 or so.

    While you are at it, might want to consider adding IEEE 1394a if you don't have at the moment. Combo USB 2.0 + IEEE 1394a cards can be had for about $40+ I think.

    BTW, VIA K8T800 is the north bridge. The USB 2.0 ports are connected off the southbridge. Are you using the 8237 southbridge?
    Last edited by frisky; 27th February 2005 at 09:28 AM.

  19. #19
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    Hee, just make sure you don't try a PCI VIA USB 2.0 card
    So far those I have seen mainly use VIA or NEC chipset, and in some case ALI chipset. I had good experience with NEC ones, but I didn't test it with Compact Drive. Shouldn't cost you much, about $30 or so.

    While you are at it, might want to consider adding IEEE 1394a if you don't have at the moment. Combo USB 2.0 + IEEE 1394a cards can be had for about $40+ I think.

    BTW, VIA K8T800 is the north bridge. The USB 2.0 ports are connected off the southbridge. Are you using the 8237 southbridge?
    thanks frisky. now ... when i get a PCI card, what do i lookout for? does the box specify what chipset? i already have IEEE 1394, so prob a USB 2 card will do.

    8237 southbridge? err ... no idea man ... will have to check my mobo manual

  20. #20
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    thanks frisky. now ... when i get a PCI card, what do i lookout for? does the box specify what chipset? i already have IEEE 1394, so prob a USB 2 card will do.

    8237 southbridge? err ... no idea man ... will have to check my mobo manual
    Was at Sim Lim during the afternoon, and noticed that the price is in the 20+ range. Quite a number of the PCI USB 2.0 card do state the chipset on the box, so if any card doesn't show it just skip it. Got one card I saw the box is transparent and you can see the main chip with NEC written on it.
    Besides that the things to check for is how many internal and external ports it have, the price and whether the construction looks shabby or not. If is it $20 for a shabby one and $30 for a better one I rather spend the extra $10.

    One nice one I saw is a snazzio card with 6 USB (5 ext, 1 int) plus 2 IEEE 1394, for $49. (might be able to get lower) But well, since you don't need the IEEE 1394, you can save a bit.

    I got a nice NEC USB card from Global IT some time ago, not sure if they still have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •