Thread: Reflection Photography Start-up Photography #1

Default Personal work

As requested.

Nikon D70, Nikon 70-300G

Nikon D70, Nikon 70-300G

Nikon D70, Nikon 70-300G

Fuji S3Pro, Nikon 18-70 AFS

Fuji S3Pro, Nikon 18-70 AFS

You don't need the best equipment to take good pictures.
    Last edited by Reflection; 1st March 2005 at 11:57 AM.

Default Wedding Gallery

Nemesis32 and Pro Image,

I think both of you did not understand my intention. I have no problem with Reflection as a teacher, as his status is well respected by teachers in this forum. I am not questioning that at all!

I am interested in Reflection the photographer. Whether his personal work is good or bad have no bearing on his status as a teacher. His brief biography shows him to be an intense person with a strong passion. I am interested in the work of such a person. Please I do not mean mischief at all.

Just like to know Reflection the photographer. If he did not have a portfolio on web, just like me, I understand. I will not pursue.

Now completely off the topic, and in response to Pro Image suggestion that I join Reflection's course:

As to being Reflection being my teacher. Well, I have always held the position I will learn from any who have something to impart - in areas that I am interested in. It makes no sense for me to take a course in rock climbing if my interest is in scuba diving, right? I think that I do not need to take a course talking about construction of the SLR and shutters, lenses, metering and the like. I will look for a teacher to instruct me in the areas that I am interested in, and I am lacking in the the relevant knowhow. Someone may be excellent as a teacher in aerial photography, but what relevance is it to me if I am interested in underwater photography? I can appreciate and enjoy the aerial photographs, but I won't take a course in aerial photography.

Reflection has shown me some images on weddings. Unfortunately I have absolutely no interest in wedding photography. As some of you know, I am doing only black & white photography with the traditional process. Doing black & white photography in Singapore is a rather lonely endeavour. I am also fascinated that Reflection likes portraiture. I am too! If Reflection is accomplished as a black & white photographer and printing, and particularly in black & white portraiture, I will be most glad to be his student. I would have found someone locally that I can learn from. I would be esctatic!

But don't you think that I will need to know my potential teacher's position and interest in the black & white portraiture in the traditional process? Won't you?

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Nemesis32 and Pro Image,

I think both of you did not understand my intention. I have no problem with Reflection as a teacher, as his status is well respected by teachers in this forum. I am not questioning that at all!

I am interested in Reflection the photographer. Whether his personal work is good or bad have no bearing on his status as a teacher. His brief biography shows him to be an intense person with a strong passion. I am interested in the work of such a person. Please I do not mean mischief at all.

Just like to know Reflection the photographer. If he did not have a portfolio on web, just like me, I understand. I will not pursue.

Now completely off the topic, and in response to Pro Image suggestion that I join Reflection's course:

As to being Reflection being my teacher. Well, I have always held the position I will learn from any who have something to impart - in areas that I am interested in. It makes no sense for me to take a course in rock climbing if my interest is in scuba diving, right? I think that I do not need to take a course talking about construction of the SLR and shutters, lenses, metering and the like. I will look for a teacher to instruct me in the areas that I am interested in, and I am lacking in the the relevant knowhow. Someone may be excellent as a teacher in aerial photography, but what relevance is it to me if I am interested in underwater photography? I can appreciate and enjoy the aerial photographs, but I won't take a course in aerial photography.

Reflection has shown me some images on weddings. Unfortunately I have absolutely no interest in wedding photography. As some of you know, I am doing only black & white photography with the traditional process. Doing black & white photography in Singapore is a rather lonely endeavour. I am also fascinated that Reflection likes portraiture. I am too! If Reflection is accomplished as a black & white photographer and printing, and particularly in black & white portraiture, I will be most glad to be his student. I would have found someone locally that I can learn from. I would be esctatic!

But don't you think that I will need to know my potential teacher's position and interest in the black & white portraiture in the traditional process? Won't you?
    Let's go to kopitiam and talk about it and leave Reflection to conduct his courses. I think we are already going OT here. Sorry Reflection about it. I am outta here!

runs away to kopitiam to open a new post...............keke!

Woah. Freeze action here fellas.

I totally understand where everyone's coming from, and i don't see anyone stepping on anyone's toes. This is my thread and we'll keep it nice and squeaky clean please.

I thank all the folks who believe in me, and also thank Student for showing great and equal interest in portraiture. There is no doubt that i have the passion for portraits, and definetly b&w. However, the last time i touched the traditional process was back in secondary school. I have not done printing since due to the lack of darkroom facilities. Nowadays, because of the convenience of technology, i'd rather just use the s3pro for B&W. I'm not as traditional as some may think...probably just fricking lazy (and that's the whole truth and nothing but) You're right on the money though...traditional B&W is a lonely process, but it's during those hours that we spend in labs to create the frankenstein of all images that makes the smelly clothing and lack of a good tan all bloody worth it.

Yes, i may have the passion and energy. However, i have had almost no time to concentrate on doing a personal b&w portraiture series. Would love to really. At the same time, i don't think i'm as immersed in it as you think Student. In fact, i think i should be learning from you!

I am only interesting in teaching basic photography, because it gives me a sense of great satisfaction to see people start off on something they've got absolutely NO idea about, and achieve greater things down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection
    Yes, i may have the passion and energy. However, i have had almost no time to concentrate on doing a personal b&w portraiture series. Would love to really. At the same time, i don't think i'm as immersed in it as you think Student. In fact, i think i should be learning from you!

I am only interesting in teaching basic photography, because it gives me a sense of great satisfaction to see people start off on something they've got absolutely NO idea about, and achieve greater things down the road.
    Actually most people here tremendous energy and passion. See the likes of people like Pef69, Virgo, Astin, Adam Goi, the ITGuy etc etc, organising shoots and meetings with hardly any gain except to enjoy the process!

People are different and we photograph different things in different manner. We may not like to personally do underwater photography, but few would not enjoy beautiful images of underwater life! So we exist as a whole, complementing each other!

Ok. After that wonderful discussion. I'm upping this thread to get things going again.

Thanks for all the enquiries. People are starting to sign up and that's great!

For those of you who are unsure about what the course entails, and how i go about conducting it, please feel free to contact me at 8125-4625. I'll answer any questions you have regarding my classes.

Basic Photography, as simple as it may sound, is the most important part of photography. How you master your basic photography knowledge will affect your enjoyment of this fullfilling hobby. Doesn't matter whether it is the interest in equipment, or the passion for creating a good photography. What's most important is that you bring with you the committment and perseverance.
    Last edited by Reflection; 6th March 2005 at 11:48 PM.

Due to unforseen circumstances, this class has been postponed. It will now start on April 10th, 2005. Those who have expressed interest have been notified. There is still space left for this class, and i will start on the April 10th regardless of its enrollment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12