Thread: Upgrading to D600 with these lenses

Default Upgrading to D600 with these lenses

Hi,

I currently use a D3100, and with the release of the D600 I'm really wanting to upgrade. My reasons for upgrading would mainly be IQ. I want the best image quality that I can get, while staying within my budget.

I have some few motor AF Nikon lenses I use on my Nikon D3100 as follows:

1.0 Nikon 18 ~ 200mm VR 2
    2.0 Nikon 35mm

Would these lenses work with the D600?

Best Regards
    Ivan SOON

Read up on the difference between dx and fx. Then you can see if you have dx or fx lenses.
    Alpha

Default Re: Upgrading to D600 with these lenses

If you enter the FX playground, i doubt one can hardly stay within the budget...

Using DX lenses on a FX body might not yield "best image quality"...
    In the eyes of the beholder!

Hi Ivan,

Firstly, all your lenses will work with the D600. The problem is you need to select DX mode or else vignette will occur. The problem here is, if you use DX mode, you are not utilizing the full potential of the FF sensor. It will also only give you an effective image of around 10mb only as compared to 24mb for FX mode. Some find it ok, but personally I will not use DX lenses on FX camera. It is quite a waste.

It is true that upgrading to FX means higher cost, so you need to come up with a budget. One of the way is to go for prime only set up. Nikon have got some really great prime lenses that don't cost a lot but gives good performance. Maybe you can take a look at those (the newer f1.8G lenses). Just bear in mind you may need to fork out a further 3-4k when you make the switch, minimally.

Since you have got the 35mm now, you will know if primes are for you. If its not then a cheaper zoom will be the latest 24-85VR.

I advise you to consider your options carefully. I will not sacrifice good glass for a camera body. If I were you, I may upgrade my lenses to good FX lenses first and upgrade the camera at a later date.

Btw I own the D600 and I can't tell you how much I love it. But I won't sacrifice good glass just to buy the body. Just my humble opinion.
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

if you're going for the D600, u want FX lenses. like wolfton mentioned. if ur 35mm is the f2.0D, then that'll work fine for the D600 as its an FX lens. ur 18-200mm is a DX lens and i suggest u sell that off and put that towards buying another FX lens if u need it. no point buying full frame camera and using in DX mode, imo
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

Best Regards
    Ivan SOON

If going for D600 and still use DX lens... is a "waste" on D600 as you get only 10MB - resolution is even lower than the D3100

Deregistered

I think 35 can use on FX body with a bit of dark corner right? previously tried on D700, maybe you can take the 35 try on FX body to have a feel, but for the other sure cannot.

if his 35mm is the f2.0D, its an FX lens, and can use it on the D600 with no problem - shouldnt have vignetting/dark corners. if its the 35mm f1.8G, then its DX and to avoid dark corners, best to shoot in DX mode. the 18-200mm one can be used in DX mode but it defeats the purpose of buying D600. better to invest in a D7000 if ur staying with DX lenses

Quote Originally Posted by heshanj
    if his 35mm is the f2.0D, its an FX lens, and can use it on the D600 with no problem - shouldnt have vignetting/dark corners. if its the 35mm f1.8G, then its DX and to avoid dark corners, best to shoot in DX mode. the 18-200mm one can be used in DX mode but it defeats the purpose of buying D600. better to invest in a D7000 if ur staying with DX lenses
    Don't think it's 35 f2 cos that's an afd lens which ts can't use on d3100.

My advice is to get fx lensed like the 28-300 afs and 50 1.8d for similar setup to ur existing. U can easily sell ur 18 200 and 35 here to partially fund the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post
    Don't think it's 35 f2 cos that's an afd lens which ts can't use on d3100.

My advice is to get fx lensed like the 28-300 afs and 50 1.8d for similar setup to ur existing. U can easily sell ur 18 200 and 35 here to partially fund the purchase.
    ah ur right. then yeah, def sell up and go for something like wat trd2970 mentioned. or u can try a different focal length zoom like the new 24-85mm VR? which is fairly cheap

put your money on good lenses, if you really plan to upgrade,
    lenses generally have longer product lifespan and will last you for many years,

camera bodies usually have shorter product lifespan, if you get a new camera now and use it for 3-5 years and than upgrade body again, you will still get stuck with low grade lenses with a newer and better body.

anyway, it is your money, it is your call.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Lenses hold more importance. Build up you lens arsenal first before going full frame. If you can get the D600 with new FX lenses, then it will be ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweilun View Post
    Hi,

I currently use a D3100, and with the release of the D600 I'm really wanting to upgrade. My reasons for upgrading would mainly be IQ. I want the best image quality that I can get, while staying within my budget.

I have some few motor AF Nikon lenses I use on my Nikon D3100 as follows:

1.0 Nikon 18 ~ 200mm VR 2
    2.0 Nikon 35mm

Would these lenses work with the D600?

Best Regards
    Ivan SOON
    TS, I don't believe you've stated your budget yet.
    Anyway, even after you've stated your available budget, you'd likely be given a multitude of different suggestions for what lens to get. In the end you've got to come to a decision as to which makes the most sense to you.
    Exploring! :)

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. Appreciated it very much.

Best Regards
    Ivan SOON

Quote Originally Posted by heshanj
    Yup, agree with wat TS mention. If u intend to use back your old DX lenses than I will advise u to invest in D7000 instead of D600. Personally I own a D7000 body and I m shooting with both DX and FX lens.

The best way is to rent the body for a day it two and test it with your current setup. Then you are able to gauge the need & improvement over the current setup.