Thread: Recommendation DSLR for Student. (budget)

Default Recommendation DSLR for Student. (budget)

Hi all,
    My younger brother wanna to get a DSLR, either Canon or Nikon, any recommendation model?

Default Re: Recommendation DSLR for Student. (budget)

There's a sticky thread at the top of Newbies Corner about choosing a DSLR. Pls refer to it.

Anyway, no one can really give you a good recommendation based on the limited information you provided. Just about any entry-level DSLR can shoot great pictures (if the photographer knows what he/she is doing).
    If budget is a big concern, you may find the other brands (e.g. Sony, Pentax) offer more attractive packages.

Just buy the best you can afford. That includes the Canon 1DX and the Nikon D4.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

I think canon is more user friendly for beginners. Maybe try the EOS 650D, pic quality and color are great by default!

if u say budget. Then just get the one within ur budge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IRshoot View Post
    Hi all,
    My younger brother wanna to get a DSLR, either Canon or Nikon, any recommendation model?
    whats your budget?

try looking beyond those 2 brands. there is always pentax if you want cheap. if you considering second hand, a k-5 goes around 800 bucks. get a kit lens/17-50mm 2.8, its another 400 plus. total around 1.3k, for a lot better quality than those you buy outside.

i'm currently using 2nd hand stuff. no issues.

budget~?

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart

whats your budget?

try looking beyond those 2 brands. there is always pentax if you want cheap. if you considering second hand, a k-5 goes around 800 bucks. get a kit lens/17-50mm 2.8, its another 400 plus. total around 1.3k, for a lot better quality than those you buy outside.

Just to add on, that's about how much it would cost for a 2nd hand D7000 as well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Just to add on, that's about how much it would cost for a 2nd hand D7000 as well
    yep. those are pretty much good cameras. if you want a good hardy beginner, get a 2nd hand 450d. aruond 350 bucks i guess? and a kit lens. i walked very far with the 450d.

Deregistered

ya, i also support to get a 2nd hand camera first with kit lens, after few month of trying and study you will know what you want.

canon 500d with magic lantern added on by yourself .
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Nikon d5100 or d7000
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    whats your budget?

+1 to this.
    The K5 still has one of the best features considering size, handling, sensor performance (dynamic range; almost chroma-noiseless high ISO; fine noise ISO80)

There are also lots of other cameras using the quite the same sensor in various form factors.
    From MILC like NEX5n to D7K.
    IMO, all cameras are very competent nowadays.
    They just vary here and there on handling aspects; size; lens/options; camera/lens design philosophy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    +1 to this.
    The K5 still has one of the best features considering size, handling, sensor performance (dynamic range; almost chroma-noiseless high ISO; fine noise ISO80)

There are also lots of other cameras using the quite the same sensor in various form factors.
    From MILC like NEX5n to D7K.
    IMO, all cameras are very competent nowadays.
    They just vary here and there on handling aspects; size; lens/options; camera/lens design philosophy
    yep. most cameras now more or less the same liao. nothing game breaking for now unless you do extreme stuff like sports, for a living.

well. perhaps full frame is the only difference...

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkiflosky View Post
    I think canon is more user friendly for beginners. Maybe try the EOS 650D, pic quality and color are great by default!
    "User friendly" is very subjective and it makes little sense to give such feedback. Have you tried the menus of all the different cameras? If not, take your time and do it, we also recommend this to all newbies asking this question.
    Default settings can be anywhere, no point relying on them. Colours can be adjusted with many in-camera settings and also post-processing. And a single wrong setting will screw it all. A photographer uses defined settings according requirements, otherwise it's better to snap with PnS.
    EOS

Blog Entries

so far when you tell me about user friendliness... this is what i'll ask you

1: got af button?
    2: got shutter button?
    3: got aperture dial?
    4: got shutterspeed dial?
    5: got ev compensation dial?
    6: got ISO dial?
    7: AF select point?
    8: Live view (i shoot landscapes and i love this)

shoot in raw. done! i don't really need anything more than these lor... my opinion. thats why most cameras work with me quite well as long as i have control over it. (or some degree)

Thank for all information,
    My younger brother budget around S$1k
    I'm Nikon user, if he choose Nikon, he can share lens with me
    but most of his friends are Canon user, i asked him which brand he looking for?? but he answer: "you help me to choose"

I'm thinking to find 2nd D90 + Tamron 17-50mm non-bim for him, but the lens quite hard to find. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by IRshoot View Post
    Thank for all information,
    My younger brother budget around S$1k
    I'm Nikon user, if he choose Nikon, he can share lens with me
    but most of his friends are Canon user, i asked him which brand he looking for?? but he answer: "you help me to choose"

I'm thinking to find 2nd D90 + Tamron 17-50mm non-bim for him, but the lens quite hard to find. >.<
    2nd hand D90 + kit lens (18-105) should be below $1K, though D90 is quite old tech by now (2008 release ).
    Still takes good photos certainly.
    Exploring! :)