Thread: Question about digital SLRs from Film oldbie

Default Question about digital SLRs from Film oldbie

Hi,

Decided to move into a DSLR after using a Film one for a long time, was wondering what are some of the issues regarding the focal length multiplier I should look out for with the mid range slrs, dun think I can afford an EOS-1D :P

If I'm on a Nikon System, can I use my current D lens on the D70 for e.g? Any loss in image quality?

Thanks for the help for a noobie

nikon multiplier is all 1.5x for pro body and non pro body

no loss in image quality

canon multiplier is
    1.6x for non pro body,
    1.3 for 1d, 1dII,
    1x ie full frame for 1ds, 1dsII

the main issue is that the multiplier will force u to change your choice of focal length (with reference to full frame) slightly. for eg i like 400mm on full frame but since i use 1d, so i only have to buy a 300mm lens since 300x1.3=390=400 which is what i want already

u may think tha now i have a 400mm f4 lens, but no its not. because of the next paragraph.

the less obvious issue is that my DOF effect is no longer as blur as f4's worth. it will be actually be about one stop's less worth of DOF ie less blurry background
    ie 400mm on film/fullframe, shot at f5.6 will give roughly the same DOF blurness as 300mm shot at f4 on my 1d.

if the multiplier is 1.4x, then the loss in blurness is exactly one stop's worth, onestop means a factor of 1.4 but since the multipliers present are 1.6x, 1.5x, and 1.3x, so the greatest loss in DOF blurness is 1.6x. and the least loss in DOF blurness is 1.3x (thats why u should by the markII ) but anyway these losses in DOF are as metioned, less obvious, unless u really scruitinise the different samples

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    for eg i like 400mm on full frame but since i use 1d, so i only have to buy a 300mm lens since 300x1.3=390=400 which is what i want already
    That's misleading, we've been through this a lot of times before. The focal view changed, NOT the focal length. 300mm will always be 300mm, however due to the crop factor, the angle of view is shrunk to that of 400mm. You can only increase range with teleconverters and NOT FLM.

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    the less obvious issue is that my DOF effect is no longer as blur as f4's worth. it will be actually be about one stop's less worth of DOF ie less blurry background
    ie 400mm on film/fullframe, shot at f5.6 will give roughly the same DOF blurness as 300mm shot at f4 on my 1d.

if the multiplier is 1.4x, then the loss in blurness is exactly one stop's worth, onestop means a factor of 1.4 but since the multipliers present are 1.6x, 1.5x, and 1.3x, so the greatest loss in DOF blurness is 1.6x. and the least loss in DOF blurness is 1.3x (thats why u should by the markII ) but anyway these losses in DOF are as metioned, less obvious, unless u really scruitinise the different samples

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Rurouni
    Decided to move into a DSLR after using a Film one for a long time, was wondering what are some of the issues regarding the focal length multiplier I should look out for with the mid range slrs, dun think I can afford an EOS-1D :P
    The FLM won't kill you. Nothing much to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurouni
    If I'm on a Nikon System, can I use my current D lens on the D70 for e.g? Any loss in image quality?
    Yes. All F-mount lenses are mountable and usable on the D70. With exceptions to AI lenses which will not meter with the D70 body, apart from metering all else will work for AI lenses.

The typical AF, AF-D, SWM, VR, IF-ED, AI lenses are all usable on D70.

Blog Entries

user111 - pls read this article abt FLM.
    http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...dslr-mag.shtml

u are only partly right abt the DOF. hope the article will clear some very common misunderstandings regarding FLM.

to recap - a 400mm is 400mm whether on a SLR or DSLR. the only thing dat changes is the way the camera sees in 400mm lens. becos of the smaller sensor size DSLRs 'crops' the image (ie Focal Length Mulitpler) thus giving u a view of, say, ~800mm lens on a canon 10D. the view changed, not the length.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    That's misleading, we've been through this a lot of times before. The focal view changed, NOT the focal length. 300mm will always be 300mm, however due to the crop factor, the angle of view is shrunk to that of 400mm. You can only increase range with teleconverters and NOT FLM.
    ya la that is what i want: the equivalent of 400mm's worth of view w.r.t fullframe.

Wah, so confusing.... Thats why I am still using my 35mm film camera..... Just a camera for taking photos.... Dun really bother about the technical part, still a good read

Well I read the article with the parrot, not in detail though as I'm running a nasty headache. Is that guy standing in the same spot with his 400mm lens?

If so isn't that an extension of zoom range caused by having a lens built for 35mm mated to a smaller 'film/cmos' area, projecting the image onto a smaller cmos causing the cropping and at the same time enlarging the image as if it were running on a longer lens??? (sorry, confused... )

Starting to see why Canon is releasing a whole new series of lenses specially for their new sized sensors, but some kinda standardisation is needed phew...

Blog Entries

To put it in a film oldbie terms, use a 400mm lens on your film body and shoot, print the resulting picture and cut away the sides, ta da! FLM explained in simple terms.

You only need to worry about the WA lenses that you already have.
    On my film camera (I am a film oldbie myself) my fav WA lens was a 17mm, but when I put it on a DSLR ......

Wah lan!!!! What happened to my WA lens, not so cool anymore.
    Don't worry so much, just shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    To put it in a film oldbie terms, use a 400mm lens on your film body and shoot, print the resulting picture and cut away the sides, ta da! FLM explained in simple terms.

You only need to worry about the WA lenses that you already have.
    On my film camera (I am a film oldbie myself) my fav WA lens was a 17mm, but when I put it on a DSLR ......

Wah lan!!!! What happened to my WA lens, not so cool anymore.
    Don't worry so much, just shoot.
    haha, like the way you say it.

Thats why I am still using film for my wide angle..... coz I am a wide guy

Blog Entries

That is why my new fav lens is 12-24mm, way cool again, I too am a WA kind of guy.

from film SLR to DSLR :-just have to spend more time looking through the DSLR finder to get the focal view into your head. (eg 50mm.... on film and on DSLR... how will it look?)

That's a very good explanation indeed. Finally I understand what all this ratio thing is about. Thanks.

But.... if you have a face that occupies, eg, 1/2 of 35 mm film, now the same size face will occupy maybe 3/4 of the space allocated by the DSLR.

So if you take both the film and the digital file to print, the digital printout will look as if you had used a longer lens.

So even though technically correct that the focal length of lens does not change, the end result is equivalent to using a longer focal length.

To me it is the final result that matters, not the technical definition.

Hope I am not adding to the confusion.

BTW: Me still a film user, don't own a DSLR (yet) and no immediate plans to acquire one. If strike lottery, will buy flim/slide scanner instead of DSLR!

Blog Entries

you are welcomed, I am here to help if i can.

yes you are right about the face thing (roughly), but the cropping is on all four sides.

The final print will still have the same charecteristics of the lens but a fov of a longer lens.

So just look in the view finder and shoot, no worries except that your WA will not look so cool anymore.

BTW: my dslr is a camera with a built in scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    haha, like the way you say it.

Thats why I am still using film for my wide angle..... coz I am a wide guy
    coolz man !!
    me too !!

Wide man too :P

BTW: my dslr is a camera with a built in scanner.
    Ha ha! Took me a while to figure out what this meant. You are really good with analogies.

What are you by profession? Peacher? Like Jesus always use stories (parables) as analogies!?!