Thread: Q: Raw Conversion

Default Q: Raw Conversion

Tried 1st time shooting in raw after reading the benefits and flexibilities. However, these are the problems I faced (using PS CS):

(parameters used when shooting in jpeg : contrast:+1 ; sharpness:+1 color saturation:+2; color tone:+1)

1. Where is the EXIF information after converting and saving to JPEG file?
    2. May be it is my knowledge in processing raw, I somehow observe that the pictures in general are not as sharp as when I shot in JPEG format.
    3. It seems to be noisier, too.
    4. 16bits/channel or 8bits/channel?
    5. What resolution? I selected 300 pixels/inch
    6. Color space: AdobeRGB (1998)??
    7. In details, the sharpness=25?; luminance smoothing=25? ; color noise reduction=25?? What should I do with the settings, i mean the norm if compared to the in-camera parameter settings mentioned aboved??

Thanks, kam xia, xie-xie.....aligatok

Quote Originally Posted by zipper
    What camera are you using? check ur ps RAW Format conversion version. The most updated verson can process latest model with EXIF data from RAW to jpeg format. Search "Camera RAW 2.4" in google for more details.

2. May be it is my knowledge in processing raw, I somehow observe that the pictures in general are not as sharp as when I shot in JPEG format.
    Then you can do shapening when doing conversion.

No noise reduction by the camera in unprocessed raw format... Do it urself using software such as PS, NeatImage, etc.

16bits for tiff, 8bit for jpeg output.

should be correct if you want to print, change to 72 if you want to use for web.

sRGB may be more appropriate for image processing in photoshop? i am not very sure...

7. In details, the sharpness=25?; luminance smoothing=25? ; color noise reduction=25?? What should I do with the settings, i mean the norm if compared to the in-camera parameter settings mentioned aboved??
    sorry, i dont know. normally i use NeatImage to handle noise... anyone can explain to mi too?

In PS- File> File Info > Camera Data 1

Raw, unlike Jpeg, is not process in-camera hence it is not sharp. You need post processing.

Hmmmm, cannot give a general answer to this. But if everthing is set correctly it shouldn't be the case.

16bits retains more details for processing but you have to convert to 8bits in order to save as Jpeg.

300 is OK for printing. Convert to 72 after you done your processing and save with a different file name when you want to use it for the web.

Yes. Some photo-lab using older printer might not support it.

My workflow in the camera raw - just play with those parameters under Adjust: White Balance, Temperature, Tint, Exposure, shadow, etc.
    Very rarely I touch the other setting.

Other processing is best done after you convert the file.
    Play with the Curves, cropping and other tools. I preferred, though not neccessary, to sharpen the image in the last step: Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask.

Hope this help.

Default Thanks for all the replies.

I found this and tot this should be quite handy for 1st timer...

http://www.digitalphotobook.net/tuto...meraraw_1.html

keep your RAW files as it is like your negatives if you want to reprocess. I also keep the PSD files (HDD are cheap these days) so I leave the PSD files in 16-bit, but do a 8-bit conversion before output as JPEG (but do not save after converting!).