Thread: Lens Recommendation for a trip

Default Lens Recommendation for a trip

on Nikon D7000,

gg korea during winter to ski

Any lens recommendation to bring along since i have never been to korea so don't know which kind suits best.

thanks for the recommendations.

note: looking for lens with excellent IQ
    Last edited by Gribber; 24th October 2012 at 09:57 PM.

Default Re: Lens Recommendation for a trip

Quote Originally Posted by Gribber View Post
    on Nikon D7000,

Any lens recommendation to bring along since i have never been to korea so don't know which kind suits best.

Look like you have 18-105 and bring together, if you can add 35mm DX has much more useful.

sharing my trip right now in HK and mostly cover up on 28mm f/1.8G
    My HK Trip with D600/D800 and 28G & Tokina 17mm - VintagePhotography

Bro, your kit lens has the necessary coverage. If you need for low light, just bring along your 40/2.8 micro and you are set. My 2 cents...

on Nikon D7000,

Quote Originally Posted by rain5533 View Post
    Look like you have 18-105 and bring together, if you can add 35mm DX has much more useful.

sharing my trip right now in HK and mostly cover up on 28mm f/1.8G
    My HK Trip with D600/D800 and 28G & Tokina 17mm - VintagePhotography
    holy! those are great pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by mod101 View Post
    Bro, your kit lens has the necessary coverage. If you need for low light, just bring along your 40/2.8 micro and you are set. My 2 cents...
    thanks both. Appreciate with the response.

I am kinda reluctant to bring my 18-105 along as the IQ is really terrible for me. Any tele-zoom or prime recommendations?

TIA
    Last edited by Gribber; 24th October 2012 at 10:45 PM.

Being in Korea this year during Chinese new year -20degree, snow too. I only carry 24f2.8, 35f2, 50f1.4 and D700. don't bring too heavy gear for holiday flash and long zoom is stay home for guard duty. I'm with tour group so not much time to switch lens. I will mount 35mm or 24mm and another will be in my pocket and 50mm in bag on coach most of the time. It is too cold and every one seen like looking for hide out to avoid the freezing wind. I don't change lens too offen so if going for landscape I will just mount 24mm and 35mm in pocket without carrying my bag mostly. I like to travel light unless going for photography holiday then full gear on stand by. My April trip to Li Jiang I only bring 24-120 f4 with SB900 on D700.
    For Korea you can bring a compact pns.when you going to ski can't carry your big dslr to ski. How ever just bring another lens in case your main lens spoil which happen to my colleague Canon 24-105f4 jam on second day during his honeymoon, Sian + haiz.
    Nikon D600 N35f2, N50f1.4, N24-120f4, Tokina 20-35f2.8, SB900,

All lenses work in Korea. I suppose it is only a matter of bringing the right lens to get the results you want.

You can bring just a kit lens, the f/2.8 trinity, or selected primes to cover an adequate range of focal length.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Wouldn't a tele-zoom, eg 70 - 200 mm good to bring along, if you are featuring the roof corner of a temple, or animals in the zoo enclosure ?

If you are thinking of cropping in the photos, does it means that tele lenses are not a necessity to reach out for most distant objects ?

on Nikon D7000,

Right, any lens will work in Korea (for that matter, in any decent country).
    Since you mentioned specifically about skiing... we have to address the cold weather (means bring extra charged battery in your pocket, and preferably a body and lenses that have good weather-sealing protection). Choice of camera body and lens really depends on what kind of shooting you're doing mostly, e.g. landscape, scenery, city street shoots, etc. For this, since I use FX bodies, I usually have the AF-S 24-85mm/f3.5-4.5G VR on my D3s or D700.

But since you mentioned skiing, much depends on how good a skier you are? If you are a good skier, and can avoid falling or crashing frequently, you might still be able to hang a DSLR with a wide angle prime (I really don't recommend hanging a DSLR with a zoom while skiing). Else, just bring along a compact, like the Canon G12 which is capable of pretty good image quality.

That's based on my experience while living in Scandinavia and photographing and skiing the Norwegian mountains, and winter driving holidays in Austria.

Hope this helps.
    Nikon (D3s, D700), Fujifilm (X-Pro 1, X-E1, GF670), Hasselblad (503CXi, 903SWC)

Quote Originally Posted by sf_kang View Post
    Right, any lens will work in Korea (for that matter, in any decent country).
    Since you mentioned specifically about skiing... we have to address the cold weather (means bring extra charged battery in your pocket, and preferably a body and lenses that have good weather-sealing protection). Choice of camera body and lens really depends on what kind of shooting you're doing mostly, e.g. landscape, scenery, city street shoots, etc. For this, since I use FX bodies, I usually have the AF-S 24-85mm/f3.5-4.5G VR on my D3s or D700.

But since you mentioned skiing, much depends on how good a skier you are? If you are a good skier, and can avoid falling or crashing frequently, you might still be able to hang a DSLR with a wide angle prime (I really don't recommend hanging a DSLR with a zoom while skiing). Else, just bring along a compact, like the Canon G12 which is capable of pretty good image quality.

That's based on my experience while living in Scandinavia and photographing and skiing the Norwegian mountains, and winter driving holidays in Austria.

Hope this helps.
    Here is a link to some winter holiday shots...
    Austria Hungary - a set on Flickr

I brought only my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 on my D90 during my trip to Hong Kong and Macau.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1025621...eat=directlink
    D90 + Nikkor 18-200mm VR + Nikkor 35mm 1.8 + Nikkor 50mm 1.4 + Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 + SB600

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldod40 View Post
    I brought only my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 on my D90 during my trip to Hong Kong and Macau.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1025621...eat=directlink
    March 2012 to Korea for holiday I bring my D7000 with only 1 len that is 28-300mm to shoot photograph that you can have both idea on wide and zoom lens.The cost of this len is about $1200/-

I'm now in Sydney, using D600 with 24-70 f2.8
    It's a heavy lens, but as I have got used to the weight, I am fine with that.
    Last week I tried on 28 f1.8, it's also very nice in terms of IQ & low light.

same thoughts on the 18-105mm IQ. a bit soft for me.

on a recent trip to Istanbul, I had a D7000 + Tokina 12-24mm + Nikon 35mm F1.8G with me.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-...-istanbul.html

i love shooting wides ... so the 12-24mm was on the body most of the time.

holy! those are great pictures!

thanks both. Appreciate with the response.

I am kinda reluctant to bring my 18-105 along as the IQ is really terrible for me. Any tele-zoom or prime recommendations?

TIA

Deciding on which lenses and bodies to bring along for a trip is always a challenge and a compromise.
    If the priority is convenience, lightweight, and maximum freedom to spend time with family, and on activities, then getting the absolutely best quality and best pictures may have to take second priority.

Here is a link with some photos taken on my trip to Turkey. I wanted the best pictures from the scenery and landscape and also shooting from the flight in a hot air balloon, hence I carried a D3s and D700 with the Nikon 'Trinity' lenses. The weight was back breaking but the results were superb.

Turkey 2010 - a set on Flickr

On other trips when I wanted a bit more of 'free-n-easy' time with family, and activities, and when the best pictures are less priority, I still shoot with FX bodies, but then I'll just put on the AF-S 24-85mm/f3.5-4.5G VR, and bring along a AF 20mm/f2.8D, and I get away with pretty good shots too.

No right or wrong decision. Just bring what you enjoy. Cheers

Blog Entries

For a ski trip in Korea, I would suggest you bring a long a couple of Gopro Hero3.

List of lens in capable of usage.

24-70G most of cover in wedding lens.
    24-85G VR much better in lightweight.
    24-120G F4 VR should be better choice.
    28-300G VR high power zoom for all you can do.

For me I would grab for 28-300G VR good than enough for all.

Actually buy a good lens is personal reference and handle in comfort to suit for personal needed and too many people advise you will be get more confuse to choose for your right lens.

The main thing still in the budget lah.

Cheers!
    Last edited by rain5533; 28th October 2012 at 12:13 AM.