Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Peeling rubber grip

  1. #1
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default Peeling rubber grip

    Hi,

    I have this EOS500 which is still working well except for the rubber grip which can make a little mess when used. Wondering if there's are way to 'repair' or tips to cover up such peeling rubber grip? It tends to peel with bits and pieces of black rubber.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by xsaifuddin View Post
    Hi,

    I have this EOS500 which is still working well except for the rubber grip which can make a little mess when used. Wondering if there's are way to 'repair' or tips to cover up such peeling rubber grip? It tends to peel with bits and pieces of black rubber.

    Thank you.
    Just get the rubber grips replaced at CSC. They are quite cheap to replace.

  3. #3
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    If you have decided to send to CSC, you can try to remove the rubber yourself, trim a bit and reattach using a good double-sided tape.
    Nothing to loose, if the trim doesn't turn out fine, you're sending it to CSC anyway
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  4. #4
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    shoe glue
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  5. #5
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Yes sir, shoe glue is good for rubber and plastics.

    But sometimes be careful, it can cause some chemical reaction to some materials.
    And also don't use shoe glue for attaching leatherette on film cameras, it will cause the metal to rust.

    And sometimes they don't allow me to buy shoe glue, they ask for my IC, maybe proof that I'm above 18 years old
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Just get the rubber grips replaced at CSC. They are quite cheap to replace.
    cheap is relative speakng,
    not sure about how much Canon charges, but to many people, $25.00 (before GST) to replace a tiny piece of rubber at NSC, is like cutting a pound of their flesh from their body. lol
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Well the thing is that, shoe glue or reattaching the grip is not possible. The rubber is falling apart in bits and pieces. Like how you rub both of your hands together and having the pieces of dead skin.

    Will try the CSC. Thanks so much for the help!

  8. #8
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    oh you mean its disintegrating .... ya then shoe glue is out ....... need to change the whole piece .... can consider doing a bling bling project
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  9. #9

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    cheap is relative speakng,
    not sure about how much Canon charges, but to many people, $25.00 (before GST) to replace a tiny piece of rubber at NSC, is like cutting a pound of their flesh from their body. lol
    If your D700 grip rubber falls off every 3 months or just days after replacing at NSC, you sure will feel it's like flesh off your body. Common issue with that generation of nikon bodies are well documented.

  10. #10
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    oh you mean its disintegrating .... ya then shoe glue is out ....... need to change the whole piece .... can consider doing a bling bling project
    Ah yes! That's the right word. Disintegrating.

  11. #11
    Senior Member sykestang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    studiospace
    Posts
    5,550

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by xsaifuddin View Post
    Ah yes! That's the right word. Disintegrating.
    If it is disintegrating... then you'd have to change a new piece.

    Common problem for those who have sweaty palm. My suggestion is to gaffer the camera after changing a new rubber piece.

    Actually, it could be costly, I don't really agree that it is cheap!

    Not sure for CSC, but for NSC eg. for pro bodies like D2/D3/D4, the CF door rubber is ~$25-$40 to change, the front piece ~$60, side grip another ~$60-$80, bottom piece ~$40 and so forth. My experience once I wanted to 're-cond' one of my bodies, I paid ~$240 to change the whole camera rubber.

    Personally I really don't recommend to change just 1 single piece cos after changing a new piece on one side, another part of the camera starts to peel. So it ended up every piece has its own 'lifespan' and normally they are ard the same time! Thus ended up many unnecessary trips to the service center.

    I rather change all pieces once and for all, then think of a long term solution to protect them and make them last. Gaffering is a good option, but remember to change the gaffer tapes once every 6mth or so cos it all depends on how often you use the camera.
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

  12. #12
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sykestang

    If it is disintegrating... then you'd have to change a new piece.

    Common problem for those who have sweaty palm. My suggestion is to gaffer the camera after changing a new rubber piece.

    Actually, it could be costly, I don't really agree that it is cheap!

    Not sure for CSC, but for NSC eg. for pro bodies like D2/D3/D4, the CF door rubber is ~$25-$40 to change, the front piece ~$60, side grip another ~$60-$80, bottom piece ~$40 and so forth. My experience once I wanted to 're-cond' one of my bodies, I paid ~$240 to change the whole camera rubber.

    Personally I really don't recommend to change just 1 single piece cos after changing a new piece on one side, another part of the camera starts to peel. So it ended up every piece has its own 'lifespan' and normally they are ard the same time! Thus ended up many unnecessary trips to the service center.

    I rather change all pieces once and for all, then think of a long term solution to protect them and make them last. Gaffering is a good option, but remember to change the gaffer tapes once every 6mth or so cos it all depends on how often you use the camera.
    It's an old canon eos 500. Hopefully it won't cost a bomb! Thanks for the insights!

  13. #13
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    If your D700 grip rubber falls off every 3 months or just days after replacing at NSC, you sure will feel it's like flesh off your body. Common issue with that generation of nikon bodies are well documented.
    Hmmm, nothing like this happened to both my D700 bodies, and I have been using them a lot for a while now. Still looks pristine. Doesn't sound as common as you put it out to be.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Hmmm, nothing like this happened to both my D700 bodies, and I have been using them a lot for a while now. Still looks pristine. Doesn't sound as common as you put it out to be.
    I have slight sweaty palms so that might be part of the reason. However most friends I know who used to or still shoot regularly with D700/D3 encountered the problem before. It varies in seriousness and how much stress your gripping puts on the rubber, but for sure it doesn't last as long as other more synthetic grip types such as D90, D7000... for the case of canon bodies it's unheard off until more recent cameras. For example, I feel the 5D3 is far too hard and plasticky for my nikonised hands, but I'm pretty sure it'll out last all the nikon rubbers (hope I don't lose this bet).

    http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012...uary-july-2012
    Last edited by surrephoto; 28th October 2012 at 05:19 AM.

  15. #15
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    I have slight sweaty palms so that might be part of the reason. However most friends I know who used to or still shoot regularly with D700/D3 encountered the problem before. It varies in seriousness and how much stress your gripping puts on the rubber, but for sure it doesn't last as long as other more synthetic grip types such as D90, D7000... for the case of canon bodies it's unheard off until more recent cameras. For example, I feel the 5D3 is far too hard and plasticky for my nikonised hands, but I'm pretty sure it'll out last all the nikon rubbers (hope I don't lose this bet).

    LensRentals.com - Lensrentals Repair Data: January – July 2012
    you guys must get very very excited when shooting, causing all those intense gripping and sweaty palms.

    Well, no matter what, it doesn't cost too much money to get fresh new rubber patches installed if it did happen. It is basically a compromise between having nicer softer grips that needs to be replaced once in a couple of years, or hard plastic material that last long but tortures your palms or fingers.

    another note is that both my D700 are less than 2 years old. Maybe they did something to during the later runs, like using a different kind of adhesive. But mine certainly had no problems whatsoever.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 28th October 2012 at 05:28 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    you guys must get very very excited when shooting, causing all those intense gripping and sweaty palms.

    Well, no matter what, it doesn't cost too much money to get fresh new rubber patches installed if it did happen. It is basically a compromise between having nicer softer grips that needs to be replaced once in a couple of years, or hard plastic material that last long but tortures your palms or fingers.
    Sometimes is the use of heavy lenses... even a 24-70 + SB-900 combo is alot for that rubber grip to tahan for months of torture.

  17. #17
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    If your D700 grip rubber falls off every 3 months or just days after replacing at NSC, you sure will feel it's like flesh off your body. Common issue with that generation of nikon bodies are well documented.
    Nikon service center offer 6 months warranty on items they repaired, if you items have any issue reoccur within the warranty period, you can always go back to ask them to fix it again.

    Service center is unlike sales office/center, it is not good to see same customers keep coming back. right?

    btw, my D700 have no issue after so many years, my D300 also the same, D200 rubber peel of before, but only once or twice, D100 also once or twice IIRC, but my D70 the rubber is become sticky.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  18. #18
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    btw, some part of the rubber is used until the texture is wear off, but it still intact.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  19. #19
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: Peeling rubber grip

    Quote Originally Posted by xsaifuddin View Post
    Hi,

    I have this EOS500 which is still working well except for the rubber grip which can make a little mess when used. Wondering if there's are way to 'repair' or tips to cover up such peeling rubber grip? It tends to peel with bits and pieces of black rubber.

    Thank you.
    Since it's an old body, take the opportunity to peel them off, dress up with stick-ons available on the market making it funky

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •