Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This photo took my breath away

Default Re: This photo took my breath away

delicious. but not smoky.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Try using a macro lens? That or upgrade to medium format.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonfanatic

If you compare mine and that photo. Mine is don't have that same effect..I am just wondering...any function in photoshop did that effect...
    Er...your photo is sharper and actually, better.

The beef hor fun photo is by Joel Koh. This photo was taken on 14 July 2011 using a Canon EOS 40D.

This photo belongs to WWJE's phctostream. Beef Hor Fun | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This photo also appears in Chin Huat Live Seafood (set: 5)
    Chin Huat Live Seafood - a set on Flickr

I cannot see anything that special that make TS lost his breath?!

It is just a snapshot! and gum-gum-ho

Unless there is something profoundly subtle that TS was refering that I cannot appreciate...

I won't exclaim a nice mole hill is if it is a mountain...

It has nothing to do with how u took the photo, it's about how the food is cooked!

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    The beef hor fun photo is by Joel Koh. This photo was taken on 14 July 2011 using a Canon EOS 40D.

This photo belongs to WWJE's phctostream. Beef Hor Fun | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This photo also appears in Chin Huat Live Seafood (set: 5)
    Chin Huat Live Seafood - a set on Flickr

is it me or is most of his photos under exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    agree, white is not white.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by rainman
    It has nothing to do with how u took the photo, it's about how the food is cooked!
    If I have a plate of super delicious chow kuay tiao but I took the photo underexposing it, resulting in a dark photo with hardly any midtones and highlights, will people still try the dish I recommend over the Internet? No, it's the first impressions that makes people want to try the dish. Poorly taken food photo = not delicious looking = no one buys.

u want smokey effect buy a nd filter then expose and start pouring gravy slowly on your food.
    Interesting. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    A precise answer requires a more technical explaination.Bokeh is simply the OOF (out of focus) areas rendered by the lens due to depth of field effects of aperture and focal length of the lens used.Now to get the identical bokeh the same lens and lighting and subject distance must be provided.Obviously it's not the case here.The rendering of the bokeh depends on the type of lens design used in the particular lens which is based on german designs popularised by Carl Zeiss so all lenses today are variations of these basic and time tested designs plus the type of glass and coatings used and the number of blades used on the aperture diaphram.Modern lenses use standard 6 or 8 blades resulting in hexagonal or octagonal light point sources.Whereas older designs dating back to pre WW2 (world war 2) uses more blades and therefore the aperture looks round rather than hexagonal which looks nicer like christmas light decorations.

You will come across these lens designs such as planar ,tessar ,biotar/biogon,distagon,pancolar and cooke triplet (the predesessor of tessar).

Edit; The smoothness of bokeh is due to front and back OOF areas in the first picture but your's only at the back due to smaller aperture and focal length of the lens as explained.

Thanks for the detailed technical explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Didnt see any 'smokey effect' leh.

Just a poorly composed photo that is slightly OOF.

I think your own photo better than the first one.
    Thanks for your compliment. Guess I appreciate certain effects of food photography which is quite unique and interesting and which I find myself unable to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the lighting is right basically, but make it more contrasty, eg, highlight more intense, less fill a little.

too much out of focus, and the focusing point has noting interesting pop out, so the view point wondering around the picture.

you need pay more attention on food styling, the vegetable looks soggy, the gravy need to be clean at the brim, and too much texture in the gravy
    Thanks bro for your input bro

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Try using a macro lens? That or upgrade to medium format.
    Thanks bro for your suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by mogwai View Post
    Er...your photo is sharper and actually, better.

Thanks for your compliments I guess to produce sharp photos...that is not a problem with most cameras. The macro mode on my mobile phone can even do a better job than my DSLR with the right lighting condition... what I actually appreciate in that photo is the blurry effect which makes the gravy a little delicious...which I think is a technique....which I am curious about because I think can be useful in certain situation with food photography...

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

This photo belongs to WWJE's phctostream.

Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge View Post
    I cannot see anything that special that make TS lost his breath?!

It is just a snapshot! and gum-gum-ho

Unless there is something profoundly subtle that TS was refering that I cannot appreciate...

I won't exclaim a nice mole hill is if it is a mountain...

I guess it's all subjective. As I mentioned, I appreciate the unique properties of that photo which I know for a fact that I cannot create..

[QUOTE=rainman;8179963]It has nothing to do with how u took the photo, it's about how the food is cooked![/QUOTE

Thanks for your input bro however I don't reasonate with that. I think how the food is cooked is one thing but the presentation, the gears and the skill of the person behind the camera is what produce a good piece of photo.

I agree with that. Most of his photos are more on the under exposed side. He can do better with exposure. But guess that is the challenge of food photography especially when we don't usually have the luxury of perfect lightings in hawkers/restaurants/cafes most of the time..

agree, white is not white.
    I thought that is to do with white balancing and not exposure? I stand corrected though as am no expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sgdevilzz View Post
    If I have a plate of super delicious chow kuay tiao but I took the photo underexposing it, resulting in a dark photo with hardly any midtones and highlights, will people still try the dish I recommend over the Internet? No, it's the first impressions that makes people want to try the dish. Poorly taken food photo = not delicious looking = no one buys.
    Agree. As such, it is not easy to take dark or single color food like char kway teow or rojak. A real challenge there. I guess that's why I appreciate that photo more as i know for a fact...I can't do better.

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated

white is not white,

it looks greyish. aka underexposed
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I don't see reflections on the gravy. Can it be cir-polariser?
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

white is not white,

it looks greyish. aka underexposed
    Oic. Didn't know that. Learn something new. Maybe the photographer had intended it to look like that instead of the proper white. It looks unique to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    I don't see reflections on the gravy. Can it be cir-polariser?
    You are right. Maybe that's why I find it a little unique.

I'm not a bro!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonfanatic View Post
    Oic. Didn't know that. Learn something new. Maybe the photographer had intended it to look like that instead of the proper white. It looks unique to me though.
    LOL. yup i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya
    I'm not a bro!
    You are now.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp

You are now.
    What?! No!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Not just you. IMHO most of the photos are under exposed and many have poor choice of focusing spot or depth. If shooting base on in camera metering its often programed on the safe side. More understanding on optimal exposure need to be achieved. Also to be fair to the guy I believe he is more of a eater than shooter coz it seems like he ate a lot of stuff and have good knowledge on how to find good food! Lighting wise is probably no lighting; just available light most of the time or ceiling bounce at best coz the photos are often either lacking shadow details or too much fill (bounce flash).
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonfanatic View Post
    As I mentioned, I appreciate the unique properties of that photo which I know for a fact that I cannot create..
    Utter rubbish lah. Your picture is better. There are 3 main differences:

1. His photo is a bit underexposed (which is not a good thing)
    2. The texture of the sauce and food makes blurred areas look smoother
    3. The direction of the light falling on the food is different.
    Alpha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast