Thread: Advice needed on the Canon 60D/ 650D

Default Advice needed on the Canon 60D/ 650D

Hi all,

Sorry to be posting a new thread on this but i hope to get some advise on the following questions i have. I currently own a Nikon D70 with a 15-85mm lens and will consider myself an amateur. Basically my uses of the DSLR is for normal photos for events indoors/outdoors and maybe some close ups. As my DSLR is already very old, am looking to replace it.

After going through many reviews, i decided to go for the Canon 60D but after checking out some shops and talking to some sales people, they recommended getting the Canon 650D as it is newer, lighter and has the new processor, touch screen etc.

For my own preference i am slightly on the preference on the 60D as i dont mind the weight of the 60D as my old D70 is almost the same , but

1. due to my old D70, i am very used to the metering lcd on top which the Canon 650D is lacking. For users who have swapped to the 650D is this an issue?

2. As many functions of the 650D uses the touchscreen. Does the battery 'die off' very quickly? Shows 400+ in specs but in real life does it last that long if one fiddles a lot with settings and live view?

3. I was looking to at the 650 Kit 2 lens (18-135mm STM) as i usually like an all rounder lens but according to one sales person, he said the lens may not fit other full frame Canon DSLRs? He couldn't explain this in details other than 'compatibility'.. So was wondering about this if i get the 650D.

4. Also according to one sales person, he claims the 60D is more weatherproof than the 600D/650D. i expected he meant stop working in cold places but he claims even some drizzle will damage the 600D/650D....Perhaps at that point i seem to be edging on the 60D and he wanting a sales.... A bit far fetched but just wondering.

5. As there are rumors about a new model to replace the 60D soon, is it still worthwhile to buy this model?

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Advice needed on the Canon 60D/ 650D

Instead of looking at canon systems, why not look at advance body systems of nikon? E.g. d7000.

And rather then age of the body, is there anything with your current body that can't satisfy your need/want?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Thanks eleveninth, i saw the clip on youtube above as well as the one from Dave.

Hi SkyStrike,

i guess my D70 is just old, shots taken loses out to consumer range cameras in terms of image quality. Also recently there was an issue with my D70 but was lucky nikon service centre was able to resolve without changing anything. They told me that support for parts for the D70 is no longer possible as D70 is EOL. So while i am still going to use my D70, am looking out to get a new DSLR. Partially considering the Canon Series is due to the flip out screen which i feel maybe useful for some situations.

I think better to stick to Nikon so that you can still use your own lenses and the ergonomics stays the same and there's no learning curve for change of brand.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Even as a canon fanboy i also suggest you to stick with nikon for the same reasons mentioned by others.

D7000 / D700 / D300 should be a nice upgrade path (get second hand one if you're tight on budget)

cheers.
    Last edited by SilentSeth; 22nd October 2012 at 08:02 AM.

TS, if you want a flip out screen, you can check out Nikon's D5100 which is also very well regarded, except that for some of the Nikkor lens, it is not able to AF.

As for Canon camera, I think you can forget about what the sales person said, true, the 650D had a touch screen and slightly faster AF in liveview, but it is an entry level camera, and seriously the liveview AF is not really that incredible (speed wise). I would go for the 60D because of its ergonomic, and the two wheels (very very useful), plus the top panel LCD.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hi Cavey

You have a lot of questions that I will try to answer from my perspective as both a D70 owner as well as an ex 5D owner.

1) LCD on top: If you are used to this, suggest u go for 60D. Recently tried out a fellow CSnapper's 500D. I couldnt get used to it coming from a 5D layout (similar to 60D)
    2) dial/controls: Do you do a lot of manual adjustments? If so, again 60D will suit you more as there's more physical dials to control the shutter/aperture (for me anyway).
    3) 18-135mm lens should be EFS if i am not wrong. If so, yup, u cant use it for FF. But then again, dun buy the 650d based on the kit lens...
    4) weather proofing: 60D is better as it's weather sealed. But weather sealing is not a major consideration for me personally in Singapore. Can always use a plastic bag to wrap your camera.
    5) There will always be a new model coming up. Best to find one that suits your needs/budget and upgrade on lens instead (think u must have heard this a zillion times...)

have fun!

oh one more thing. Do your own research. I never rely on salespeople for advice on the camera.

Don listen to the sales person.

My advise to you is get a D7000. It's really cheap and good.

Quote Originally Posted by cavey View Post
    i guess my D70 is just old, shots taken loses out to consumer range cameras in terms of image quality. Also recently there was an issue with my D70 but was lucky nikon service centre was able to resolve without changing anything. They told me that support for parts for the D70 is no longer possible as D70 is EOL. So while i am still going to use my D70, am looking out to get a new DSLR. Partially considering the Canon Series is due to the flip out screen which i feel maybe useful for some situations.
    Not sure how many times you will be using the swivel screen. *Thou there are times times I do wish I have it* But does this swivel screen justify a new system (Canon system in this case), which is like mentioned by others, a new learning curve... and not forgetting that your existing lens cannot be used with it.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Thanks all for your inputs.. will look again at the choices available including nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by cavey View Post
    Thanks all for your inputs.. will look again at the choices available including nikon.

Consider Sony as well if you like the tilting LCD and fast AF in live view.
    Alpha

I am a newbiew using 650d with kit 2 lens, i find the touch screen very responsive and the kit2 stm lens basically covers most of the range for my traveling and event needs perfectly.

For liveview,the af speed is a bit slow but still manageable, the best part is i can use the touch screen to choose whichever function i want.it works well aka like a smartphone...

Battery live using liveview: i only use video and liveview occasionally, the battery lasted whole day for my trip to macau,snapping a lots of UNESCO sites. From the manual,the estimated shots for live view is 200 but do you use live view often?? The flip out lcd screen is very useful during taking videos, tilting from glare, snapping from tight places.

I did compare 60D with 650d, i preferred the later due to the touch screen

Of course its a low budget entry level camera and can't be compared with d7k or other pro level cameras.
    Last edited by wongce; 23rd October 2012 at 06:55 AM.