Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 - who needs silly big tiles on the screen?

Default Windows 8 - who needs silly big tiles on the screen?

Better stick to your XP or XP Pro or Windows 7 Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate.

They tried too hard to design Windows 8 for mobile phone / small tablet users and forgot about (or want to force-fit) those using notebooks and desktop PCs. Not a clever interface. Not intuitive at all. Many things are hidden and you have to remember steps to re-find where they are.

This is a gift to Apple. They could not have wished for anything better.

No idea why Microsoft is doing this to themselves. Maybe they insulted the intelligence of their average OS users.

I still like XP Pro.

Early look at Windows 8 baffles consumers

How Real People Will Use Windows 8

Last edited by ricohflex; 21st October 2012 at 12:21 AM.

Default Re: Windows 8 - who needs silly big tiles on the screen?

I think this is going to be the 2nd "Vista". Best selling OS for the year and forgotten in history the following year.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

An interview with ordinary people on the streets of USA; and how they react to Windows 8.

Using it now if you have touch screen laptop or pc its great easy to navigate. I have a touch screen tablet pc thinkpad X201 and its nice. Smooth faster than Win7 and the IE browser is nice also.

Using mouse is also easy you can have the conventional desktop for work related. Try it out 1st before passing judgement i too dont like the idea of it initiallu but when i gotten the chance to install it i find it nice actually.
    <<<<<Hobo in Singapore >>>> View My 500px

Tried it a couple of months ago (the Beta/Preview version), I hate the first 15 mins when I was trying to navigate around it. I find the learning curve pretty much like Office 2003 to 2007.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Microsoft is preparing for the "post-PC" world. More tablets are being sold now than Desktop PCs and laptops. Look at the Windows 8 machines coming out now with touchscreens, etc - that's what Microsoft is targeting.

From a Business/corporate perspective, Microsoft will need to release an "Enterprise" version with the "classic" UI.

It's either that or MS has a huge stake in Apple and wants to boost their stock. :P
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike
    Tried it a couple of months ago (the Beta/Preview version), I hate the first 15 mins when I was trying to navigate around it. I find the learning curve pretty much like Office 2003 to 2007.
    So your problem is the learning curve not the os :-) . To me its easy and theres ton of shortcuts to close the apps just drag yoir finger from top to bottom or using mouse grab it and pull it down :-) . The integrated search is awesome also. The rest is pretty much windows just press the windows key to.toggle between desktop and metro ui or tiles. :-) what else is there?

The truth is i find mac os even harder to use like the right click hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Microsoft is preparing for the "post-PC" world. More tablets are being sold now than Desktop PCs and laptops. Look at the Windows 8 machines coming out now with touchscreens, etc - that's what Microsoft is targeting.

From a Business/corporate perspective, Microsoft will need to release an "Enterprise" version with the "classic" UI.

It's either that or MS has a huge stake in Apple and wants to boost their stock. :P
    Bill been vocal eversince He's the one who started the tablet pc but the os that time was not optimized :-) its just now that things are catching up to the tablet and touch screen thing.

Oh one thing ive noticed the win8 colors are almost good as mac now... i check photos using macbook and my laptop with win8 and its close just need to adjust a bit on the win8 but even so its close.

Quote Originally Posted by albertri View Post
    So your problem is the learning curve not the os :-) . To me its easy and theres ton of shortcuts to close the apps just drag yoir finger from top to bottom or using mouse grab it and pull it down :-) . The integrated search is awesome also. The rest is pretty much windows just press the windows key to.toggle between desktop and metro ui or tiles. :-) what else is there?

The truth is i find mac os even harder to use like the right click hehe
    Well, personally, "features" are part of the OS... And this Windows 8 modern UI is part of the "feature". And I hate it. I prefer the slick bottom left windows button from previous versions of Windows anyday.. Something I couldn't test the is performance speed since I was running on a VM with reduced graphics and processing.

I kinda hate to unlearn and relearn things that once so easy to find and use. I find using a mouse to click, click and click more intuitive than click and drag..

tried windows 8 few weeks ago, we got a production unit. i was like " wtf was that??"

disappointed..
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Well, personally, "features" are part of the OS... And this Windows 8 modern UI is part of the "feature". And I hate it. I prefer the slick bottom left windows button from previous versions of Windows anyday.. Something I couldn't test the is performance speed since I was running on a VM with reduced graphics and processing.

I kinda hate to unlearn and relearn things that once so easy to find and use. I find using a mouse to click, click and click more intuitive than click and drag..
    You cxan disable the metro UI (I think if you dont like it and use the convetional windows UI) I understand not everyone would like it speciall the non touch screen to me since I have touch screen its a welcome update and it's much smootehr and faster than win7 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    tried windows 8 few weeks ago, we got a production unit. i was like " wtf was that??"

disappointed..
    I have been using the RTM version (ready to manufacture) meaning the one they will be releasing so far so good not issue no lagness no bluee screen no hangs that;s whay I have been wanting to Windows. To me this is still better than MAC OS :-) specially to the file management side :-)

its called learning curve everyone say that to latest ribbon menu of Office 2010 :-) after a while you learn to adopt with it :-).

as mentioend MS is slowly integrating on Smaprtphone/Tablet.... this is thier business strategy to ensure windows phone, tablet and pc/laptop user have seemless experience.

Quote Originally Posted by albertri

You cxan disable the metro UI (I think if you dont like it and use the convetional windows UI) I understand not everyone would like it speciall the non touch screen to me since I have touch screen its a welcome update and it's much smootehr and faster than win7 :-)
    If it can be permanently disabled, then all might not be lost yet...

But nothing is making me move out of my windows 7 anytime soon.. I have only just abandoned the XP earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    If it can be permanently disabled, then all might not be lost yet...

But nothing is making me move out of my windows 7 anytime soon.. I have only just abandoned the XP earlier this year.
    yeah Win7 was a benchmark Vista was epuc failure :-( to me Win8 is good so far everything is fast smooth no issue yet (crossing fingers) I think I am liking it coz I am using touchscreen laptop and I have ipad and samsung andriod tab so I am use to swiping etc... :-)

I have been using the RTM version (ready to manufacture) meaning the one they will be releasing so far so good not issue no lagness no bluee screen no hangs that;s whay I have been wanting to Windows. To me this is still better than MAC OS :-) specially to the file management side :-)
    so far haven't get to see the bsod on my win7 thank god..

its called learning curve everyone say that to latest ribbon menu of Office 2010 :-) after a while you learn to adopt with it :-).

as mentioend MS is slowly integrating on Smaprtphone/Tablet.... this is thier business strategy to ensure windows phone, tablet and pc/laptop user have seemless experience.
    users also have an integrated experience of company product... If one product sucks real bad , good luck convincing that the next version don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

so far haven't get to see the bsod on my win7 thank god..

users also have an integrated experience of company product... If one product sucks real bad , good luck convincing that the next version don't.
    Yeah agree my win7 works great for me all these years. I guess im a perso who easily get bored coz been using the windows UI since windows 3.0 so to me this is a welcome change.

err . what is windows ?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast