Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need camera recommendation for shooting event.

Default Need camera recommendation for shooting event.

Basically is helping company to buy a camera for shooting indoor events. Quite likely to buy fast zoom lenses with stabiliser preferred. So far no budget is set but not too expensive also. Other than body and lenses, also need to consider dry cabi and fast refresh flash.

Have looked into D7000 but heard that it has AF accuracy problem and Nikon tends to have washed out and yellowish tint/cast.

For D600, am concerned with the pricing.

For A77, although AF is very fast and have built-in stabiliser, the lowlight high iso noise performance seems to be mediocre or bad.

For canon, I have no idea at all.

For Pentax, it is not so popular and not so well supported for 3rd party lenses or items. So don't think will look into it.

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Default Re: Need camera recommendation for shooting event.

A57. Especially the fast AF in live view and articulating screen are great.
    Alpha

A77 would match your nick of Sin77.

Do third party brands sell fast long zoom lenses with stabiliser?
    Looking at 70-200 type of range.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by sin77
    Of course. Sigma has their own 70-200 and the upcoming Tamron 70-200 will feature silent focusing and stabiliser.

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    For sony though, no need for in-lens stabilizer. Can get the cheaper non-VR sigma and tamron.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    For sony though, no need for in-lens stabilizer. Can get the cheaper non-VR sigma and tamron.
    Like the built in stabiliser too, so as to cut back on weight, size and price.

However A77 noise performance is a let down.

i think if the budget is set, it'll be easier for bro & sis here to make recommendations

if no hurry, can wait for the Canon 6D

Like the built in stabiliser too, so as to cut back on weight, size and price.

However A77 noise performance is a let down.
    That's why I said A57 mah.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    Of course. Sigma has their own 70-200 and the upcoming Tamron 70-200 will feature silent focusing and stabiliser.
    Wondering how much they would cost

Quote Originally Posted by sin77

Wondering how much they would cost
    Depends. But surely they would cost more than their non-stabilised counterparts. Notably cheaper than the "original" ones, still.

Blog Entries

Have looked into D7000 but heard that it has AF accuracy problem and Nikon tends to have washed out and yellowish tint/cast.
    Not sure where you heard this... but this is so not true.. From the time I used a D7000, AF is ok. And the colors are anything but washed out or yellowish... BTW, yellowish or blue cast is operator error in setting White balance...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Not sure where you heard this... but this is so not true.. From the time I used a D7000, AF is ok. And the colors are anything but washed out or yellowish... BTW, yellowish or blue cast is operator error in setting White balance...
    I think i saw in dpreview. Seems to be a widely known problem regarding the AF accuracy.

Basically is helping company to buy a camera for shooting indoor events. Quite likely to buy fast zoom lenses with stabiliser preferred. So far no budget is set but not too expensive also. Other than body and lenses, also need to consider dry cabi and fast refresh flash.

For A77, although AF is very fast and have built-in stabiliser, the lowlight high iso noise performance seems to be mediocre or bad.

For Pentax, it is not so popular and not so well supported for 3rd party lenses or items. So don't think will look into it.

Thanks.
    Really depends how much you want to spend.

If your priority is excellent iso performance and accurate af in low light on a budget then the Pentax KR would be it. Has built in stabiliser and wide range of primes as well as zooms from even the 3rd party manufacturers. Its pretty good yet small if need to use where flash would be distracting.

Just do an excel of what features the KR has and then compare with other brands similar priced cameras or even those on higher tier. You will be surprised.

Alternatively, 2nd hand D700 and 5DMKII are quite well priced now if you want to go full frame.
    Last edited by Reportage; 20th October 2012 at 10:24 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Will be buying first hand preferably with 5yrs wty since is for company.
    Will also try to buy popular brand in case colleagues query about Pentax.

IMO, don't need to over think.

Your company won't be buying a whole set of lenses for events right?
    Its just those company events/functions/talk/training type stuff right?
    For those, its just record shots and it wouldn't matter if it was D800E or Pentax Optio PnS

So two ways.

Selfish way - Just get the latest and greatest, so that Ah Gong buy to let you play play

The cheap way (depends on your boss) - Just get a PnS

Others- then discuss further here. But IMHO, and DSLR or MILC can do a pretty good job nowadays.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

For those, its just record shots and it wouldn't matter if it was D800E or Pentax Optio PnS

So two ways.

Selfish way - Just get the latest and greatest, so that Ah Gong buy to let you play play

Others- then discuss further here. But IMHO, and DSLR or MILC can do a pretty good job nowadays.
    Best advise thus far.

Just out of ?, why do you need a 70-200 for in-house indoor event shot?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

So two ways.

I agree...if company is footing the bill as well as concerned on the branding then feel free to recommend the D4 with trinity lens or the equivalent 1Dx setup. If they really dont mind spending, hassleblad and phase one comes to mind .
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Helping company to shoot event for free using the latest state of the art gear is the hobby of the rich hobbyists.

If got budget, then I advice just make do with whatever gear you have.

Forget about what the company this or paying that, be realistic. If they want to afford hiring photographers they won't be arrowing you. Buying a camera for low usage is much more expensive than hiring photographers ad hoc. If I am the boss, I will surely know that you are trying to make me pay for your hobby, and I will definitely be taking that into consideration at your year end staff performance report. Bosses are not stupid.

Boss ask me to buy de. I have been shooting for years using my own equipment. I guess boss also paiseh liao.

We shoot quite often, hence hiring photographers become more expensive. (But once in a while we will still engage.) The photographs quality are to be close to pro standard, thus pns and mirroless are also out (alhough we already have a S95 in office). As for 70-200 range, boss preferred, just that a f2.8 will be harder to swallow. If i can justify it and is within $2,000 (provided 3rd party price range is within budget), then why not?

Full frame too ex, I dont think buying. Better save $ for fast lens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast