Thread: Recommendation for selection method in PS?

Default Recommendation for selection method in PS?

Any recommendations or good ways of doing selection in PS? I end up using the magic wand most of the time, but sometimes magic wand just doesnt work well enough...like you get jaggies along the edges and things end up looking unnatural...

Any other recommmendations or techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by phantasia
    Any recommendations or good ways of doing selection in PS? I end up using the magic wand most of the time, but sometimes magic wand just doesnt work well enough...like you get jaggies along the edges and things end up looking unnatural...

Any other recommmendations or techniques?
    Aiyo, unless it's a single colour or the shades and hues are about the same, try to refrain from using magic wand. To prevent jaggies, the easiest (and effective) way is to feather your selection.

Here's how I do selection in PS:

1. Duplicate layer (this is almost always the first step in any PS workflow)
    2. Use the magnetic lasso tool. This is my favourite and IMO the best selection tool. Try it and you'll know what I mean.
    3. Roughly draw out the selection that you wanted, don't worry about the magnetic lasso tool missing any selection or inaccurately selecting what you do not need, we can fix that in the next step.
    4. Once you completed the selection, here's the trick, switch to quick mask edit and you'll see a red 'overlay' covering the areas you have not selected. Select a suitable brush and paint over the areas that you want but is not covered by the red mask. When you switch back to standard editing mode, you'll see your selection is more refined.
    5. Don't worry about 'over-colouring' into the areas you do not want, you can simply switch back to standard editing mode, inverse your selection, switch to quick mask edit again and do your colouring again.
    6. Continue doing this til you're fully satisfied, then remember to always save your selection and use feather to smooth out the edge of your selection.

This is my 'standard' way of doing selection, I'm sure there are many guys (and gals) out there who have their own ways or tricks for making a selection.

Selection is an important step in PS, I guess you're using magic wand because you want fast results (correct me if I'm wrong). Be patient and do it slowly, and you'll have a more rewarding time.

Have fun with Photoshop.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Thanks hitman!!

Sounds like a pretty good method...will go try it out soon!! My problem is i'm not really sure how to use the other selection tools well, so ended up with magic wand.

I tried the magnetic lasso b4...but just couldnt get it to work like what i needed it to do...hee now with your work flow..will go try again!! Thanks man!

You will never go wrong with the pen tool... the best.

pen tool with tablet. better??