Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next len to get

Default Re: Next len to get

If budget is an issue, I recommend you go for a multi-purpose lens like the 28-300mm walkabout lens.
    If money is no issue, go for 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm.
    Happy shooting and happy spending!
    Nikon D4 | AF-S 50mm 1.4G | AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (2.9x) | AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED | SB900

AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is the choice

Phu Chi Fa, Cheng Rai; sunrise above the clouds. Those are people viewing the sunrise near the drop off

Wat Rong Khun (White Temple) Cheng Rai

Royal Flora Ratchaphuek, Cheng Mai.

* All pix handheld & untouched straight off the cam to show the actual perf of this great lens, EXIF avail
    Last edited by vincecarlo; 17th October 2012 at 07:28 PM.

Some pix from Bangsaen Festival of Speed 2011, Thailand with AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

* All pix handheld & untouched straight off the cam to show the actual perf of this great lens, EXIF avail

I second that. The 24-70 F2.8 is a very versatile lens and the focal range is good for most occasions.

bear in mind that when the lenses are expensive, so are the repairing cost,

anything below $500 is chicken feed, between $0.5k to 1k is common, above 1k is normal, just learn to get used to it.

if can't bear the pain, think twice before you buy.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Arun D View Post
    Hi,

Why don't you buy 16-35 F/4 instead of 24-70 F/2.8. I do have 24-70G, this lens is excellent. Can't compare with anyother in this range. But what I feel is, 16-35 F/4, 50 F/1.4(D or G version) and 70-200(or 80-200 or 70-300) will cover all the Focal we want.

If you are shooting very low light and need super speed AF, Then you can go for 24-70. Now a days my 24-70 is sleeping in my cabinet.
    Everything is your choice

Currently you had 50mm and 70-300, so just buy one more to cover all
    Almost agree... but otherwise from the ones he mentioned get the 24-70mm f/2.8
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    All these inferior joke-of-a-lens must go:

- tokina 11-16 dx pro2
    - nikon 50mm 1.8d
    - nikon 35mm 1.8 dx
    - nikon 18-105mm dx vr
    - nikon 70-300mm be

Smash them all, and replace with these real stuff:

24 f1.4G
    35 f1.4G
    58 f1.2 noct
    85 f1.4G
    135 f2DC (temporary made do, but immediately buy the new version once it comes out)
    200 f/2
    14-24 f2.8
    24-70 f2.8
    70-200 f2.8

This is the bare minimum kit, ideally you should have 3 sets, one to use, one for backup, another one to keep in pristine condition.

IMHO, if you have to ask such a rudimentary question, its better to upgrade your skills first.

The quest for gear upgrade is always frustrating and met with a lot of disdain and discrimination.

The quest for skill upgrade is always pleasant, satisfying and met with a lot of respect and admiration.
    LOL.......
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfive View Post
    LOL.......
    Not to mentioned, the quest to upgrade gear is financially draining but upgrading knowledge and skills is, surprisingly; free.

To chime in on the original question from TS without the sarcasm, your best bet is the 24-70 f/2.8, its an 'almost do all' lens. Keep the 50 1.8 and the 70-300 variable aperture zoom till you are really to upgrade to the 70-200 f2.8.
    Last edited by JasonB; 17th October 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Not to mentioned, the quest to upgrade gear is financially draining but upgrading knowledge and skills is, surprisingly; free.

To chime in on the original question from TS without the sarcasm, your best bet is the 24-70 f/2.8, its an 'almost do all' lens. Keep the 50 1.8 and the 70-300 variable aperture zoom till you are really to upgrade to the 70-200 f2.8.
    upgrading knowledge and skills is not that easy, and you can't buy it off the shelf. It is not entire free, if you consider the efforts and time invested in. how much is your tears, sweat and blood anyway?

however, upgrading gears is much easier if money is a non issue, all you need is a shopping list and can get instant gratification.

needless to say, most people will choose the easy path.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Yes, time is more precious than money.

How much time in your life you wanna invest it in photography, spend it wisely and happily.

I agree, But 24 is not much wide(can say moderate) compare to 16-35. inbetween fill with some prime then 70-200 F2.8 or F4
    Then performance and speed can't compare anything with 24-70.. I love it
    ...Arun D...

buy all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alanokm View Post
    I am planning to upgrade to d600 from a d90. Am wondering what len to get to complement what I existing have. My current inventory as follow:
    - tokina 11-16 dx pro2
    - nikon 50mm 1.8d
    - nikon 35mm 1.8 dx
    - nikon 18-105mm dx vr
    - nikon 70-300mm be

Am looking at 24-70mm 2.8 or 24-85mm 3.5-5.6.

Just wondering which is more worth getting. Or any other suggestion. Appreciate any kind advice.
    Sell the following:
    - tokina 11-16 dx pro2
    - nikon 35mm 1.8 dx
    - nikon 18-105mm dx vr

If you want the best get the 24-70/2.8. If you want to save some money and can live with a smaller aperture, get the 24-85VR.

If have Tamron 17-50, is it still worth to get 24-70? or rather go for 70-200 with 17-50. Only misgiving on Tamron 17-50 is it hunts on low light. If not, is is good lens to use.

Your choice of lens should be driven by the subject and manner you shoot. Example you can do people work with a 50mm, with a zoom like 24-70 ect, you can even do it with wide angles. A style, workflow method determines what focal length you need to use. If you do not do wide open work then using 1.8 or 2.8 lens may be a waste of time especially if you seldom open up and shoot safe ie 8/5.6/5 . Unless the person replying works and shoot in a style similar to your's what is true for them may be wrong for you. It is simplistic to think of a magic lens list, have those lens and wonderful pictures will flow automatically or a magic work flow for that matter.

A small hint you upgraded to a full frame body for what reason ? To shoot that in a DX crop mode ? U used a standard zoom on DX because of what reason ? answer these questions and you will have a starting point to narrow the selection of the lens you need.

IMHO, Get the FF body first then nt the 24-70 or/and 16-35 or/and 24-120 to try them out.

Unless, you are getting a better deal when buying the FF body and lens together, there is always time to test and trial the various lens before digging into your pockets.

From there, depending what is your intended use, you can then decide which lens to keep and which to give up/keep with your DX body as a secondary setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12