View Poll Results: Own a Mac? Which one? Choose as many as you own.

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Powermac

38 15.51%
  • Powerbook

83 33.88%
  • iBook

72 29.39%
  • iMac

61 24.90%
  • Mac Mini

15 6.12%
  • eMac

4 1.63%
  • Others

50 20.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast

Thread: Mac users on CS

Default Re: Mac users on CS

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    I am seriously contemplating getting a 13" Black Macbook to work on my pictures but I wonder if the premium i pay for such a product is worth it?

I have never used a mac in my life and I was just wondering if there is really a difference in doing my photo editing (in terms of speed & performance) using a mac or is it just hype?

Do share/advise.

Hi Wolgang
    Seriously, you should try out the pro version for the high res tft screen since you do photo editing. Speed wise, it is as fast as windows based notebooks in many aspects.

The 13" looks cool and pretty as well, but you get slightly lower res output from its tft screen. The graphics card on the 13" is not as well buffed as the pro series Ram wise. But if you do graphics with a mac attached to a high res external tft screen, the white macbook might suffice.

As for bugs and nicks on mac, dont worry too much. Both PC and Mac share the same woes - especially more so now they are comletely identical hardware wise. The latest mac has the second generation Intel processors and so, many hardware related issues had been resolved. In fact, the latest firmwares fixed up the shut down problem and the heat problems of the older core duo. Also, the warranty covers most probems for a year with a 14days' return policy.

Not sure about the rest, I get a mac for its good screen output, stable OS and it being (almost) virus free. Yes, its overpriced, but... what more can I ask for?

In the past, I used to spend alot of time tweeking PCs (after loading all the junks and connecting to all kinda peripherals in the market). With a mac, there are much fewer sharewares and peripherals and so less chances of corruption (ie device conflicts, software bugs, virus induced bios corruption). Also, I do not play games on computer and hence one more reason to get a mac (mac do have its limitations on many popular games as they are not written for OSX).

If you want to be fair to yourself, go rent a macbook for a week and work with it day in/day out. You might be amazed how simple it is and no more blue screen from windows. Some people do not switch off their mac for months and it just runs and runs. And being simple, it might save you the danger of loading heaps of softwares, spywares, anti-virus, only to know these will just slow down an operating system.

But hey, mac is a love or hate relationship. Some like it, some dont.

Just my novice input, and hopefully, helps you make an informed choice.

am using an ibook g4 and an imac g4.. : D

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Hi Wolgang
    Seriously, you should try out the pro version for the high res tft screen since you do photo editing. Speed wise, it is as fast as windows based notebooks in many aspects.

The 13" looks cool and pretty as well, but you get slightly lower res output from its tft screen. The graphics card on the 13" is not as well buffed as the pro series Ram wise. But if you do graphics with a mac attached to a high res external tft screen, the white macbook might suffice.

As for bugs and nicks on mac, dont worry too much. Both PC and Mac share the same woes - especially more so now they are comletely identical hardware wise. The latest mac has the second generation Intel processors and so, many hardware related issues had been resolved. In fact, the latest firmwares fixed up the shut down problem and the heat problems of the older core duo. Also, the warranty covers most probems for a year with a 14days' return policy.

Not sure about the rest, I get a mac for its good screen output, stable OS and it being (almost) virus free. Yes, its overpriced, but... what more can I ask for?

In the past, I used to spend alot of time tweeking PCs (after loading all the junks and connecting to all kinda peripherals in the market). With a mac, there are much fewer sharewares and peripherals and so less chances of corruption (ie device conflicts, software bugs, virus induced bios corruption). Also, I do not play games on computer and hence one more reason to get a mac (mac do have its limitations on many popular games as they are not written for OSX).

If you want to be fair to yourself, go rent a macbook for a week and work with it day in/day out. You might be amazed how simple it is and no more blue screen from windows. Some people do not switch off their mac for months and it just runs and runs. And being simple, it might save you the danger of loading heaps of softwares, spywares, anti-virus, only to know these will just slow down an operating system.

But hey, mac is a love or hate relationship. Some like it, some dont.

Just my novice input, and hopefully, helps you make an informed choice.
    Thank you ever so much. This really does help alot.

And I am glad to annouce that I am now a happy Macbook owner.

Now, the question is, is there a book where i can buy to further educate myself on how to better use my MacBook?

Or better yet, share you favourite or more often used MacBook short cuts & tricks here.
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 19th January 2007 at 08:22 AM.

And I am glad to annouce that I am now a happy Macbook only.
    black or white?

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox View Post
    black or white?
    White. The 2Ghz model..

White. The 2Ghz model..
    how r u lovin' it so far? =)

how r u lovin' it so far? =)
    Well, so far so good except there is a dearth of software so I am hoping to get some soon. I need keynotes pretty badly... wanted to jazz up a presentation i need to do sometime pretty soon so yeah, i reckon that'll keep me occupied.

The main thing here is i really want to learn more abt the ins & outs, the short cut keys and how much i can truly do with a MacBook... I rhink that will take awhile...

And I am glad to annouce that I am now a happy Macbook owner.

Now, the question is, is there a book where i can buy to further educate myself on how to better use my MacBook?

Or better yet, share you favourite or more often used MacBook short cuts & tricks here.
    Wow, the new white macbook is cool! An eye turner indeed and very portable to zip point to point.

Takes a while to learn and discover if you wanna do it at your own.

But for a quick guide, maybe you can try the following:
    http://www.atomiclearning.com/macosxx.shtml

I find these video files helpful for newbies, but do bear with the instructor cos these videos are meant for young and old. Also, its for OSX 10.2 (Jaguar). Its about the same cos it gets you going and understand the new acronyms. No more start button, no more ctrl alt del.... LOL

Otherwise, if you feel rich, u can sign up for .mac and get trained there for Tiger OS online. Sorry if I offended others, .mac is really overpriced for things we can get foc other than the so called online virus protection.

Cheers and happy learning!

contaxable...

You might want to get a hold on some of these programmes to make your Mac life easier:

Quicksilver - from MacUpdate (System organiser, with shortcut to open any file, anywhere)
    Adium - www.adiumx.com(MSN Client)

And here are some sites to stay tuned to:
    www.macupdate.com
    www.coolosxapps.net

I'll go dig up this list I had, deep in my email inbox. Till then, enjoy.

More & more of my friends in school are using Mac now!

got my mac a few weeks now...

am thoroughly enjoying it man!!!!!!!!!

only downside.....is the heat and battery lifespan....

well i suppose i'll need a 2nd battery for on the road ...

lol...

haiz...BTW i don't see any region killer software for the DVD player .........is there one?

Got myself Macbook Black (13" 2.4Ghz/250G HD/4G memory).
    Software includes Final Cut Express,Photoshop,Illustrator and few others.
    Good size and very handy for walkaround.
    For internal use,I add on the LG 22" wide (W2252TQ) for the Final Cut Express and Photoshop.

Result: HATE THEM!......because of the destruction to my pocket.
    Anyway for usage, love them.The combination...FANTASTIC!.

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    got my mac a few weeks now...

am thoroughly enjoying it man!!!!!!!!!

only downside.....is the heat and battery lifespan....

well i suppose i'll need a 2nd battery for on the road ...

lol...

haiz...BTW i don't see any region killer software for the DVD player .........is there one?
    Gah...2nd time to enter this reply.

The newest DVD drives are not easily changed to ignore region but you can use VLC instead of DVD Player, as it will ignore the region. You can change the System Preferences to launch it instead of DVD Player, if you like.

wow how did this thread get resurrected from a year ago... anyways up for macs! bought a black macbook in dec 07 and never looked back ever since..

white macbook x1

When is Snowy coming?

I love the Mac OS X on my new iMac aluminium 24" but the LCD quality and glossy screen is the only thing that puts me off big time.

anyone looking to trade their macbook/ macbookpro?

i have a 20-inch iMac to trade =D

anyone looking to trade their macbook/ macbookpro?

i have a 20-inch iMac to trade =D
    You can try checking here: www.macusersg.org. Register to view their B&S section.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast