Thread: Strong magenta cast when printing

Default Strong magenta cast when printing

I am posting this here rather than in the Printer forums because I think my issue is more to do with colour management than printers. Couldnt find anything on this when I searched, I hope one of the experts out there can help me.

My problem is that I am getting awful colours when I print images from within Photoshop CS. The prints have a very strong magenta cast to them and look very unnatural.

Printer: Epson 2100, with Epson semi glossy paper and Epson inks.
    Software: Win XP, with Photoshop CS with profiles for all the Epson papers including semiglossy.

Photoshop color settings: Adobe RGB working space, convert image to working space.

Within Print with preview, I am using the source colour space from the document (Adobe RGB), the destination as the paper profile and no colour management within the Epson printer.

Result: magenta cast on the print, however the soft proof on screen looks fine.

However, when I change the settings within Print with preview for destination to Printer color management, the magenta color cast disappears. I dont think this is an optimal solution though, as I would prefer Photoshop to do the color conversions.

Anybody out there have anny clues as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!
    satish
    My Website

Did you calibrate your monitor with precise color instruments? (E.G. Pantone Spyder)

Yes, I regularly calibrate my monitor using Pantone Spyder. In fact, just did a calibration a day or so ago.
    satish
    My Website

Did you adjust the color sliders in the advanced settings for printing? If not you can try to step down the magenta and try...

Hey, thanks for your quick reply. No, I did not adjust any sliders in the printer driver dialog boxes. In fact, I choose No Color Management in the printer driver.

The strange thing is, earlier this was working fine. Even now, as I mentioned, when I change the print space setting in teh Print with Preview to Printer Color Management, the magenta cast disappears!
    satish
    My Website

Did U print a random photo from the web & see if it also has a colour cast?

Quote Originally Posted by satcat
    Hey, thanks for your quick reply. No, I did not adjust any sliders in the printer driver dialog boxes. In fact, I choose No Color Management in the printer driver.

The strange thing is, earlier this was working fine. Even now, as I mentioned, when I change the print space setting in teh Print with Preview to Printer Color Management, the magenta cast disappears!
    Did you check that all your color cartridges are not empty?

No I havent tried a random photo from the web. Will do some more experimenting later today.

And yes, I have enough ink in all the cartridges.
    satish
    My Website

Go download the latest raw convertor from PS web

Quote Originally Posted by Fred_sg
    Go download the latest raw convertor from PS web

fred_sg, thanks for the advice but i am note sure how this is relevant. i have acr 2.3 already installed. while the image i am having problems printing was originally a nikon raw format file, i have subsequently processed it in photoshop thru the acr as well as later editing and is now saved as a psd file. within photoshop, everything seems ok - the image on display as well as on soft proofing looks fine. it is just that the print does not look anything like the soft proof.

i havent been able to crack the problem as yet. i am beginning to think that there are 2 color space conversions happening in my whole workflow which is screwing up the colors. however, i havent the foggiest where the double conversion could be happening.

perplexed and frustrated!
    satish
    My Website

my apology, i though i read somewhere that one of the upgrade
    resolve a megenta cast on printout, it seem like it not the ps upgrade.
    I still trying to look for it, its something recent. By the way, if you take
    your pic in sRGB don't convert to Adobe RGB(workingspace), change your
    working space to sRGB and work on your pic, you will get closer color match
    to your print.My 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred_sg
    my apology, i though i read somewhere that one of the upgrade
    resolve a megenta cast on printout, it seem like it not the ps upgrade.
    I still trying to look for it, its something recent. By the way, if you take
    your pic in sRGB don't convert to Adobe RGB(workingspace), change your
    working space to sRGB and work on your pic, you will get closer color match
    to your print.My 2cents.
    Thanks. I will check out the Adobe Camera Raw 2.4 release notes just to see if there isnt something there relating to this problem. My impression though is that they have mainly added camera support to this new release.

I shoot all my pictures in raw format and in Nikon Adobe RGB. My working space is Adobe RGB though I have toyed with PhotoPro RGB (has a wider gamut). I am not an expert in this area, but I believe that Adobe RGB has a wider gamut than sRGB which is mainly geared towards display oriented work.

I keep my monitor calibrated and also have paper profiles for the papers I use (Archival Matte and Semi Glossy premium mainly) with my Epson 2100, so I do believe that my entire workflow is color managed. And with a color managed workflow, I think I should get print output that looks close to what I see on screen - right?
    satish
    My Website

OK Satcat, my guess its a display/printing problem. As you know,
    there are no(consumer) display or printer(consumer) that can deal
    with adobe RGB gamut only sRGB max thus if you want to work
    in Adobe RGB environment than you actually need to be very experience
    eg. a more saturate + slight red cast when you see it off your display(thats for my cheap LCD screen) same
    for printing. Do a reverse engineering, take a picture in srgb open in CS, use
    srgb workspace + save as jpeg with your profile than print with epson profile.
    slowly take out each unknown and you will know where is your problem.
    Hopes it help,

Its takes a professor to use CS properly + lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by satcat
    I keep my monitor calibrated and also have paper profiles for the papers I use (Archival Matte and Semi Glossy premium mainly) with my Epson 2100, so I do believe that my entire workflow is color managed. And with a color managed workflow, I think I should get print output that looks close to what I see on screen - right?
    Download this profile from this site and try, it yeild better result than the can-profile that came with the printer:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/E...s&oid=42114986

you must set the proof color in PS correctly in order to have a relatively similar print out with the image in the monitor. It is about 95 - 98% close.

I recommend the ilford smooth pearl paper with their profile much better result than epson paper.