Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Writers,photographers,graphic designers,artists of all sorts, lend me your ears

  1. #1

    Default Writers,photographers,graphic designers,artists of all sorts, lend me your ears

    I'm planning on starting a small magazine in Singapore in the next few months, The magazine will be concentrating on singapore culture (street life like marketplaces, eating joints, all sorts of groups of singaporeans and singaporean interests and quirks) and singaporean design and arts

    I'm looking for anyone who has a genuine interest in such things , and is interested in getting work published
    I'm looking for writers with a journalistic slant who are willing to go out there and interview people, graphic designers who are creating interesting work or someone who is interested in working on editorial layout
    And also photographers who are doing interesting work who would like to publish work

    If you have any friends who are interested in such things please spread the word. It's not going to be a paying thing (I'll probably be investing my own money too) but it's something I believe will be really interesting

    email: jing@venacava.org

  2. #2

    Default

    .....writers?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    so once the magazine takes off and cash starts rolling in, who gets the profit?
    Are you looking for partners to co produce this magazine?
    Who is your target market?
    What about advertisments?

    and a whole lots of other questions, but the rest can wait.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    I'm planning on starting a small magazine in Singapore in the next few months, The magazine will be concentrating on singapore culture (street life like marketplaces, eating joints, all sorts of groups of singaporeans and singaporean interests and quirks) and singaporean design and arts

    I'm looking for anyone who has a genuine interest in such things , and is interested in getting work published
    I'm looking for writers with a journalistic slant who are willing to go out there and interview people, graphic designers who are creating interesting work or someone who is interested in working on editorial layout
    And also photographers who are doing interesting work who would like to publish work

    If you have any friends who are interested in such things please spread the word. It's not going to be a paying thing (I'll probably be investing my own money too) but it's something I believe will be really interesting

    email: jing@venacava.org
    Question of the day ...... who gets the benefits in the end .... or was it a profit sharing proposal? You are trying to get people to work for you for fee? Most people still have to eat. If it is a profit sharing proposal, I guess a lot of people will be interested, but if it is going to be "Do all these things for me while I keep the profit" .... generally speaking .... there are no such thing as free lunch ...... except in the Temples.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    The very first time I read mattlock's message, I thought it was a great opportunity and a nice gesture of him to share with fellow photographers here.

    Never have I thought of profitability... as long as I don't have to invest money in it for the "free service", I genuinely feel this is a great exposure and experience.

    Please allow mattlock to respond with a clearer picture before jumping into conclusion or leaving negative remarks.


    I remember seeing another thread: "To Singapore with Love" looking for support from fellow photographers in contributing pictures for a Singaporean Photography Books to celebrate Singapore 40th Birthday. Soon after, messages after messages gravitated towards negativity, mainly with dollars and cents in mind.

  6. #6

    Default

    To mattlock,

    pls explain more in details.........the magazine in one time basics that introduce s'pore to the outsideworld?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    The very first time I read mattlock's message, I thought it was a great opportunity and a nice gesture of him to share with fellow photographers here.

    Never have I thought of profitability... as long as I don't have to invest money in it for the "free service", I genuinely feel this is a great exposure and experience.

    Please allow mattlock to respond with a clearer picture before jumping into conclusion or leaving negative remarks.


    I remember seeing another thread: "To Singapore with Love" looking for support from fellow photographers in contributing pictures for a Singaporean Photography Books to celebrate Singapore 40th Birthday. Soon after, messages after messages gravitated towards negativity, mainly with dollars and cents in mind.
    quite agree. it's a good exposure for ppl who want to do it for the content.
    but also, need a black n white "guide" for what happens beyond the simple hobby newsletter.
    profit is normally even a more sensitive issue than cost lol. is there a biz model? will advertisers be brought in etc etc?
    of cos, lol circulation and MITA licence (esp if topic is singapore).
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

  8. #8

    Default What's wrong with $$?

    I don't think it was wrong for people to ask for $$ for their pixs to the "To Singapore with Love" project. I also don't think it's wrong for people who want to do it for free. But to say that people should do it for free just because it is "for Singapore" is ridiculous. Even the SAF pays an allowance to all the NSmen. If somebody feels he wants to charge for his work, we should respect that, not think of him as a dirty money-grabber.

    This case is similar. If you are looking for a break, you can contribute for free. If you're looking for pay, then go elsewhere-- because mattlock prob can't afford to pay you now. If the mag takes off, then perhaps you can come back with your portfolio and sell your work to mattlock.

    I'm just sick of the idea that people who want to do free work are so noble, while those who want their work to be paid are painted as villains.


    Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    The very first time I read mattlock's message, I thought it was a great opportunity and a nice gesture of him to share with fellow photographers here.

    Never have I thought of profitability... as long as I don't have to invest money in it for the "free service", I genuinely feel this is a great exposure and experience.

    Please allow mattlock to respond with a clearer picture before jumping into conclusion or leaving negative remarks.


    I remember seeing another thread: "To Singapore with Love" looking for support from fellow photographers in contributing pictures for a Singaporean Photography Books to celebrate Singapore 40th Birthday. Soon after, messages after messages gravitated towards negativity, mainly with dollars and cents in mind.

  9. #9

    Default

    Lets wait for him to respond shall we?
    Maybe the magazine is something like Photoi, but for the cultural/lifestyle scene, free distribution...

  10. #10

    Default

    hi there
    I'm looking for people with interest in featuring various aspects of singapore-life that get taken for granted or overlooked, from things like the skateboard scene to interviews with foreign workers like maids and construction workers. To a more indepth look at the various designers that actually exist in singapore, to a historical look into our architecture. wide ranging and totally random, depending on a month to month thing
    I'm looking to pump my own money into this for printing, and distributing through my contacts and their contacts to have it sold for a small price in various shops. (If this doesn't answer your question about money.....)

    This way the magazine can cover issues without too much worry about censorship (HOPEFULLY unless a midnight raid by a SWAT team of my house proves otherwise)
    I am also looking to have this sent out to various establishments for free, including advertising agencies, newspapers & magazines, various companies that may have similar interests, and really, you never know, that exposure may lead to other things.

    I just see this as a good way to showcase a more indepth look at other sides of singapore that get glossed over in our newspapers and aren't even touched upon in most local mags
    This magazine hopefully will be of interest to Singaporeans
    It's crazy of me to try something like this but,hey, I know there are crazy people out there too

    Let me make this clear, this is not a LIFE magazine sort of thing where it's just pictures.
    I'm looking to get this started up with 2 features and 2 photo stories, maybe one photo journalism and one local fashion related.
    I have a few people who are doing the permanent work, what I'm looking for are contributions
    I'm looking for people who may be interested in showcasing a series of work that has an interesting idea behind it, for photographs
    I'm looking for writers who have ideas for stories, who may be interested in pursuing these ideas and then getting it published
    And if your first question is money, then really, this is the wrong thread

    I wish I could tell you more and it sounds vague right now because it is, but if you have any work you wish to share that is of interest you may like to email me with a few links or jpegs so that I can keep your contact for future reference

  11. #11

    Default

    Hey dude,

    I might not be paid on the start but it's not alway free coz u will earn back on the ADs and u do need to do some marketing to start a mag not just start out in no where.... what i know those free mag out there look for sponsers and advetister so they can get their mag printed and make profit.... I'm interested if you are covering ARTs
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock


    And if your first question is money, then really, this is the wrong thread...

    I
    I think Mattlock and anybody can pursue an interest without a profit motive in mind. There is no need to be too suspicious or critical. Mattlock is right in that some groups in our society need to be heard or better understood. He may want to serve to raise awareness of them. I feel that it is important to keep the magazine aboveboard to keep such publications alive and respected.
    Yes, money do make the world go round. Sometimes, we need to see the world squarely too. The great Mother Theresa did that. Her life worth however, was not measured in dollars and cents.
    Last edited by tOGGY; 19th February 2005 at 11:44 AM.

  13. #13

    Default

    zerofour, all that advertising stuff sounds great but that's not my concern right now. I don't see it as a mainstream distribution thing so we're pretty much free to cover anything.

    I just put this post up, to gauge interest. if anyone has similar interests or has friends who have fimilar interests in what I've posted in this thread just email me and send me some links to the work photographic,graphically,written word or otherwise (I need some gauge of your standard) and we can talk more too.

  14. #14

    Default

    Without ads, the printing cost will gonna be high up there.
    Just like to find out, have u already done a profit/loss study?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •