Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Swarovski ATX/STX telescope - Nature Photography Ultra Telephoto abilities

casual shooters might find it hard to justify for the cost of af big aperture super telephoto primes. Digiscoping has its limitations but it comes at cheaper price.

MF is tougher but still possible if you have the techniques. If you ask me I would compare between using digiscoping vs getting manual focus super telephoto primes and using a cropped body such as nikon manual 500mm f4 with pentax q10.

Default Re: The Swarovski ATX/STX telescope - Nature Photography Ultra Telephoto abilities

I think devilry has almost summed up a lot there.
    Canon 600mmf4II is good but a person who go out once a week (and only in Singapore), it is very hard to justify 16k (can add 2k+ for tripod and tripod head).
    B&H showing
    1- Swarovski 95mm price as USD 1,899.00= 2,317.9194 Singapore dollars (taken from google).
    2- Swarovski - TLS APO Digiscoping Adapter for ATX/STX Spotting Scopes USD 489.00 = 596.8734 Singapore dollars (taken from Google).
    Grand Total 2,914.7928 SGD, Let say we put price at 3,200 SGD.

For a person who go out once a while i think this price is more justified than 16k lens.
    But again i am not a pro photographer, nor i take parts in Photo competition. So take my words with pinch of salt.
    BTW most of the time while i use 600mm, my aperture was set at f8 for sharp pictures (but i have seens ppl take pictures at f4, so i cannot set a benchmark here).

But before we start looking at price, there are 2 painful things we have to keep in mind
    1- Manual focus
    2- f10-f20 aperture when pictures taken with scope (can forget taking pictures when weather is bad ).

I hope ppl from Swarovski set a day for hands on session with real birds rather the building shoots.
    BTW, after much search i came across only one blog where someone taking reasonable pictures with above setup.
    The Digiscoper
    5D3|35L|50f1.8II|580EXII

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Swarovski ATX/STX telescope - Nature Photography Ultra Telephoto abilities

about half the price of a 600mm prime tele
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    about half the price of a 600mm prime tele
    You mean Swarovski is around 8k SGD o_O.
    5D3|35L|50f1.8II|580EXII

By any chance you guys know if 85mm HD works well with Oly E-M5?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12