Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help on DIY PC

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi
    intel. good. get the P800E - Deluxe motherboard. deluxe means there's firewire included, which u prolly need for ur work hope its enuff.
    Thanks.

The P800E is motherboard made by Intel?

Kevin,
    1. If you only want to use your PC just for converting AVI to MPEG2, use TMPGEnc Plus like what Firefox said. It's produces very good quality results and it's very fast too.
    2. If you want to do serious video editing, this requires lots of hard disk space (use RAID if possible) and lots of RAM (depending on your application). You can check out the forum at http://www.videohelp.com to find out more.
    3. If you are only converting your Hi8, you should probably get a basic DVD recorder. They are more affordable now (~S$500). Hi8 can be digital also. This depends on your camera of course. Some are using Hi8 tapes but record as digital format. If analog, just use the regular RCA cable. If digital, better to use the IEEE1394(firewire) cable to connect to the recorder for best quality results.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Thanks Darren.

Do you find VBR is better or CBR???
    For MPEG2, use VBR. VCD uses CBR MPEG1 encoding and you usually get serious video artifacts in scenes with lots of details. If you want the highest quality output for either CBR or VBR, this will take the longest encoding time. But usually there is a point where it makes no difference even if you take more time. You have to experiment with this. For me, I would just max out the DVD to get the highest quality and let the PC run (cos I have 2 PCs ).
    Last edited by Newman; 19th February 2005 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi
    actually i wont advise for the amd's 64bit system.

cuz it seems like its very susceptible to over-heating.

my frens who are using it had to invest a bomb on the cooling system to ensure their althons do not overheat... some did even with the bomb cooling system (they were all using it for intense ps[20plus mp of info] work or video editting work)

granted althons are really ok for normal use and fast too... but if you r looking to intensive use over a short period, it is better to stick with intel, more stable and wont overheat as quickly...

intel. good. get the P800E - Deluxe motherboard. deluxe means there's firewire included, which u prolly need for ur work hope its enuff.
    Hmm, this seems to contradict what Tom's Hardware claims.
    "Over the last few months, Intel has taken a lot of heat over its latest P4 processor. Its most recent Prescott core is literally a "hot little item" that cooks along between 84 and 115 W max, depending on the model. By contrast, AMD CPUs go up to a maximum of 89 W, and their latest generation only goes to 67 W. AMD is still ahead of Intel technologically thanks mainly to their CPUs' 64-bit capability, NX bit, and Cool 'n' Quiet feature. But the introduction of reworked, faster P4 processors will soon renew the attractiveness of Intel's solutions."

Quote Originally Posted by linse
    Hmm, this seems to contradict what Tom's Hardware claims.
    their latest generation only goes to 67 W. AMD is still ahead of Intel technologically thanks mainly to their CPUs' 64-bit capability, NX bit, and Cool 'n' Quiet feature. But the introduction of reworked, faster P4 processors will soon renew the attractiveness of Intel's solutions."
    Of course most people running AMD64's are still running a 32bit system so that bit's no advantage to them at all, although memory controller is pretty quick..

Intel people will counter with the Hyperthreading card, but there are many cases where Hyperthreading actually slows the application down, as the bottleneck wasn't the CPU core but RAM. Hypertheading is only going to help if you can effciently keep both 'cores' running flat out.

I suspect in video work both would get left in the dust by Altvec optimised G5 code...
    The G5 is a 'dumbed down' minicomputer processor from IBM. The G5's 'parent' was a dual core processor intended for things like IBM's AS400 series minicomputers. There is a bit of potential there for dual core G5's, put back some of the features they took out :-)

In the end it comes down to what software you want to use, or as it appears with most Windows users I know - what they can steal.

Would appreciate if someone can give me some suggestion what parts to get in order to build a DIY PC for Video editing purpose. I have lost touch with the PC market for a year so don't know what is the latest. My current P4 1.7Ghz Pc take 7 hours to convert 1 hour avi home video to Mpeg2 and it is very noisy.

Please give me suggestion of motherboard, CPU, HDD, graphic card, casing and power supply that are quiet and etc. I think someone mentioned B4 don't the P4E since it give out a lot of heat right? So I will probably go for a P4G 3.0Ghz(is this right?) that give out less heat.

Thanks--

Optimum solution
    -as much ram as possible 4Gb? cosair (something with a 2-2-2-5 latency)
    -2x 3Ghz processors (xenon) (provided your software supports dual-processors.)
    -MOBO supporting dual processors, SCSI and 64-bit PCI (express)
    -4 SCSI drives on RAID-0 as scratch disc. 2 drives on RAID 1 for backups
    -cheapest, biggest casing possible (antec's server offerings??)
    -video card...well spend anything you have left on it...

Default Use 2 HDDs

This is my experience, you need 2 Hard disks for data intensive job. Store the original AVI file in one and set the output to another.

The reason is if you are reading and writting to the same HDD, there is too much pick up head movement, it first have to go read the AVI file, transfer to RAM, and the pick up head has to seek to another location to write the output, it keeps doing read seek, write seek that is the reason the HDD become very noisy.

With 2 HDD, there not much head seek movement for drive and the read and write speed can improve few folds.

You should find significant improvement with another $80 investment to add additional HDD. Other factors also affect the speed, like free HDD space, RAM size.

For budget wise get a MOBO with on board raid. You don't have to get SATA hard disk course it don't make much difference and its slightly more expensive then IDE hard disk. Do not share the IDE channel as this will cause the hard disk to run slow thats the reason why you should get a MOBO with on board raid. For the processor, The new prescott processor (E Processor) should be enough not necessary you have to get a dual processor or the LGA 775 processor. Although it is much faster but unless you have the spare cash if not the new prescott processor (E Processor) is enough as the cache is 1MB. As for the heat get a third party copper heat sink rather than using the Intel original heat sink. If you are just converting a video to VCD or DVD without editing, get a encoding instead its faster (1 is to 1)

Hey,

Thanks for all the tips. PLs keep them coming.

Definately use 2 HDD, may be 3 now!

Some has given very state of the art suggestion! But I am looking for a budget or midrange solution. Very broke now after getting D70 then the TV in my study room just broke down so need to buy LCD TV (but very ex leh!). Anyone got cheap lobang? (hehe, OT in my own thread).
    Last edited by Kevin; 22nd February 2005 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by euphoria
    For budget wise get a MOBO with on board raid. You don't have to get SATA hard disk course it don't make much difference and its slightly more expensive then IDE hard disk. Do not share the IDE channel as this will cause the hard disk to run slow thats the reason why you should get a MOBO with on board raid. For the processor, The new prescott processor (E Processor) should be enough not necessary you have to get a dual processor or the LGA 775 processor. Although it is much faster but unless you have the spare cash if not the new prescott processor (E Processor) is enough as the cache is 1MB. As for the heat get a third party copper heat sink rather than using the Intel original heat sink. If you are just converting a video to VCD or DVD without editing, get a encoding instead its faster (1 is to 1)
    Heard that SATA HDD with NQC perform more like SCSI HDD.
    Yap currently didn't share channel also. For the CPU, I thot Prescott is LGA775?

Yah, hardware encoding is faster but I don't encode that often and I do editing on my video. My current PC is more than 3 years old and a lot of restriction on RAM, no USB2, no firewire host so want to upgrade my PC in general.
    Last edited by Kevin; 22nd February 2005 at 04:41 PM.

Heard that SATA HDD with NQC perform more like SCSI HDD.
    Yap currently didn't share channel also. For the CPU, I thot Prescott is LGA775?

Yah, hardware encoding is faster but I don't encode that often and I do editing on my video. My current PC is more than 3 years old and a lot of restriction on RAM, no USB2, no firewire host so want to upgrade my PC in general.
    Prescott came out for 478 pin first on the 865 and 875 platfrom. As for 775 pin, some so the later batch of 865 and 875 also uses 775 in stead of 478.
    All 915 or 925 platform is LGA 775. Correct me if i m wrong......

focus more on processor speed and amount of ram

Quote Originally Posted by shawnlim
    Prescott came out for 478 pin first on the 865 and 875 platfrom. As for 775 pin, some so the later batch of 865 and 875 also uses 775 in stead of 478.
    All 915 or 925 platform is LGA 775. Correct me if i m wrong......
    O I C. Thanks for enlightening me.

If I go to SLS to buy a P4 3.0Ghz, how can I tell it is Prescott? Any tips?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    focus more on processor speed and amount of ram
    Thanks... Certainly...

O I C. Thanks for enlightening me.

If I go to SLS to buy a P4 3.0Ghz, how can I tell it is Prescott? Any tips?

Thanks,
    3E processor or 1 mb L2 cache is Prescott while 3C or 512k is Northwood . 520-2.8,530-3,540-3.2 for new 775. If i not wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12