Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: How to calculate dry cabinet monthly electrical bill?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    521

    Default How to calculate dry cabinet monthly electrical bill?

    Need to prepare the answer to this question which my "home minister" is likely to ask.

    For instance, the Digi-Cabi AD-060 has the following specs:

    Effective Capacity: 60L
    External Dimension: W35 x D31 x H55cm
    Power Consumpiton: 5W
    Door: 1
    Shelf: 2

    Singaporepower.com.sg charges 16.73c per kWh. so the monthly electrical cost is...??

    Sounds like a maths test paper...

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Since it's 5W, 1KW would be 1000W.

    16.73c / H

    5w = 5/1000 x 16.73 = 0.08365

    Assuming it runs non-stop (which shouldn't be the case), 24 hours = $2.0076

    In which a month of avg 30 days = $60.228 ~= $60.23


    Did I calculate wrongly?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    hehehe....

    so it should be 5w x 24 hrs x 28 days (take average) den multiply by (16.73 divided by 1000) den should be about 56 bucks...

    something to note here is that, the electric dry cabinet have a electric heater that have a control unit inside, so it should not be always on. Unless you have set to full power manual, den your per month cost would be this much... otherwise not much really...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Yep, the dehumidifier should stop when the humidity is reached and active if it's not. So it shouldn't be going on 24/7

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Since it's 5W, 1KW would be 1000W.

    16.73c / H

    5w = 5/1000 x 16.73 = 0.08365

    Assuming it runs non-stop (which shouldn't be the case), 24 hours = $2.0076

    In which a month of avg 30 days = $60.228 ~= $60.23


    Did I calculate wrongly?
    I think you went wrong here.

    5w = 5/1000 x 16.73 = 0.08365 <---- this unit is in cents / hour, not $ / hour.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    oooops... den i also sala liao...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Yeah, no wonder I was wondering how can a dry cabinet cost more power than my PC (350W) running 24/7. Thanks dude.

    Since it's 5W, 1KW would be 1000W.

    16.73c / H

    5w = 5/1000 x 16.73 = 0.08365c

    Assuming it runs non-stop (which shouldn't be the case), 24 hours = 2.0076c

    In which a month of avg 30 days = 60.228 ~= 60.23c

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    Mr espn ah, something wrong leh.
    My ceiling light is 100W x3, and they are on for at least 8 hours per day.
    My refrigerator is 1000W, and they are on the whole day.
    I must be paying a few thousand $ elec bill already?

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Mr espn ah, something wrong leh.
    My ceiling light is 100W x3, and they are on for at least 8 hours per day.
    My refrigerator is 1000W, and they are on the whole day.
    I must be paying a few thousand $ elec bill already?
    Never doubt the words of espn




    Already recalculated liao

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    so it should be 5w x 24 hrs x 28 days (take average) den multiply by (16.73 divided by 1000) den should be about 56.2128 cents? kaoz... its like saying... did i drop a 50 cents coin? aiya forget it... din know electricity so cheap... maybe its becos its only 5w, while normally we see bills in hundreds & wonder how come we use so much...

    /me start to blame the PC...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    Ok, tell the home/finance minister this:
    In any home, this is the typical home appliance electrical cost, from big to small:
    1. refrigerator 1000W
    2. water boiler (1000W or 2000W)
    3. ceiling lights (200/300W)
    4. television (a few hundred W)
    5. fish tank
    6. rice cooker
    7. washing machine
    8.
    9.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    100. your dry cabinet (only 5W)

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    521

    Default

    so $1 per month got spare change come back? got hope, got hope! my proposal may go through the finance committee!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    Ok, tell the home/finance minister this:
    In any home, this is the typical home appliance electrical cost, from big to small:
    1. refrigerator 1000W
    2. water boiler (1000W or 2000W)
    3. ceiling lights (200/300W)
    4. television (a few hundred W)
    5. fish tank
    6. rice cooker
    7. washing machine
    8.
    9.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    100. your dry cabinet (only 5W)
    the clock use lesser...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Just hope your landlord understand the maths......luckily I am using a camera with a handcrank, and not a digital that needs rechargeable batteries......

    HS

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    the clock use lesser...
    Aiya, the trick is, to explain every other things that consumes more electricity than the dry cabinet, and not to mention things that consumes less electricity lah. (Marketing lesson 001)

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien
    Just hope your landlord understand the maths......luckily I am using a camera with a handcrank, and not a digital that needs rechargeable batteries......

    HS
    not really landlord. my home minister aka the missus is lagi more powerful. can veto any household decision... also known as lord of the (wedding) ring...

  17. #17
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guncon
    not really landlord. my home minister aka the missus is lagi more powerful. can veto any household decision... also known as lord of the (wedding) ring...
    First you buy her a diamond ring, at least 1 carat.

    After that you want to buy a 100L or 160L 5w, 10w cabinet she also won't mind.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    First you buy her a diamond ring, at least 1 carat.

    After that you want to buy a 100L or 160L 5w, 10w cabinet she also won't mind.
    how brilliant.. provided that you have enough $$$ left after doing that!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nad
    how brilliant.. provided that you have enough $$$ left after doing that!
    I feel in my bones another 2 MOs is on the way. One big stone kills two bigger cabinet. It will leave us high .....and dry.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •