Thread: using body AF instead of lens AF

Default using body AF instead of lens AF

hi guys i just upgraded from a d3100 to d7k. my lens all has BIM because of my d3100. was wondering if there is anyway to make my d7k use its own built in motor instead of the lens AF?

Default Re: using body AF instead of lens AF

Congratulations on your upgrade.

By saying your lenses are those with built-in-motor, it means that your lenses are AF-S lenses. Being AF-S lenses, the Nikon D7000 DSLR will operate the lens as AF-S lenses (i.e. camera will do the focusing using the lenses' built-in-motor).

i see. yup i use a tamron and its AF is definitely inferior to nikon AF-S lenses, that is why i was hoping i could use the camera's motor instead. Thanks anyway

mm.. tamrons bim lenses are slow n somewhat inaccurate. some of the models like the 17-50 2.8 come in non bim versions. perhaps u could swap yours for that

yup im looking to do that, but the non-bim version is really hard to find, heard it is discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by jeromehjh
    yup im looking to do that, but the non-bim version is really hard to find, heard it is discontinued
    It was discontinued years ago. They only have the BIM version.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by jeromehjh View Post
    hi guys i just upgraded from a d3100 to d7k. my lens all has BIM because of my d3100. was wondering if there is anyway to make my d7k use its own built in motor instead of the lens AF?
    If you buy a lens with a built-in motor, it will not have the appropriate coupling to the camera body, so there is no way for the camera body to drive the lens' AF mechanism
    I have yet to come across a lens with such a 'redundancy' feature built in.
    Exploring! :)