Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Question for softbox users

  1. #1

    Default Question for softbox users

    Ok this might be stupid question for most people, but i'll just ask to confirm..

    If i buy a photoflex softbox, can i use any type of speed ring? or must i get a specific one for it?

    thanks for looking

  2. #2

    Lightbulb

    i believe you need to buy the particular speed ring to fit into the flashhead/s you will be using. so, the reference is using brand. eg. xxx(brand) speed ring.

  3. #3
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    actually it depends....

    if you're using a studio flash with the softbox, then yes, you'd need a specific ring to fit the mount of your studio flash, e.g. bowens will need a bowens ring, elinchrom etc. much like how a nikon lens mount only fits a nikon body.

    However, if you are using a portable flash (e.g. nikon speedlights or slave flashes) with the softbox, then all is required is a generic ring, as the ring does not couple with or mount to the flash itself....the ring just holds the softbox in shape whist allowing the flash to fire through the ring. in such as case, you'd also probably need a bracket to hold the flash to the softbox. photoflex has such a bracket.

    hope this helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Ok this might be stupid question for most people, but i'll just ask to confirm..

    If i buy a photoflex softbox, can i use any type of speed ring? or must i get a specific one for it?

    thanks for looking

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    actually it depends....

    if you're using a studio flash with the softbox, then yes, you'd need a specific ring to fit the mount of your studio flash, e.g. bowens will need a bowens ring, elinchrom etc. much like how a nikon lens mount only fits a nikon body.

    However, if you are using a portable flash (e.g. nikon speedlights or slave flashes) with the softbox, then all is required is a generic ring, as the ring does not couple with or mount to the flash itself....the ring just holds the softbox in shape whist allowing the flash to fire through the ring. in such as case, you'd also probably need a bracket to hold the flash to the softbox. photoflex has such a bracket.

    hope this helps.
    Thank you.

    There are a lot of other speed ring that are cheaper than the photoflex one. can i get those? and is there different speed ring cater for different soft box size?

    Btw, yes i'm using portable hotshoe flash for the time being.

  5. #5
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    Oh, well that one you'll have to try it out....I do know that the speed ring should be the same regardless of softbox size...although different type of softbox MAY (not sure on this) require different rings (e.g. strip light, vs octabank, vs regular rectangular softbox)

    Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Thank you.

    There are a lot of other speed ring that are cheaper than the photoflex one. can i get those? and is there different speed ring cater for different soft box size?

    Btw, yes i'm using portable hotshoe flash for the time being.

  6. #6

    Default

    ok thank you vince!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •