Thread: F1 in sepang march 19~20 05

Default F1 in sepang march 19~20 05

Planning to take some pics during the race.
    Will 70~200mm lens with 2x TC enough?
    Most probably will be sitting at C2 area.

Anybody went to Sepang for the F1 race before? Please share your experiences.
    Thanks in advance

Anybody can help me........

on digital body, by a rough estimate yes i think should be enough to frame a car to occupy at least 1/9 of the frame (centre area)

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    on digital body, by a rough estimate yes i think should be enough to frame a car to occupy at least 1/9 of the frame (centre area)
    Thanks User111

Here is the full frame shot with a 500mm f/8 mirror from the back of the K1 grandstand:
    (noticed later that I had a light leak...)

(and the crop I eventually made)
    http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2708350-md.jpg

so 2x 200mm will do I guess.

Since you're shooting digital, I guess you won't have any trouble with the ISO settings, I had to take/use various speeds of film (800 worked best) for the differences between the light, overcast and very overcast skies during the day (and my 500mm eats light...)
    I think you got a slow corner to look upon in the C2 area (near the C3 area), but some extra practice on panning will be valuable there. Bring a sound recorder for the nice V10 sounds to accompany your pictures when you show them at home :-)

If you need any specific experiences, pm or post!

Default Thanks NDvR

Thanks for the tips...

Your crop pic with B/W background is nice.
    I guess 200mm with 2X is barely enough. No choice this is the biggest TELE I have.
    What do you think if I stack the 2X & 1.4X TC with my 70~200mm lens will the pic quality be very bad?
    Please advice...

Hmmm sound recorder, is my Sony E k700 HP sound recorder gd enough?

Once again THANK YOU

ok now for more concrete info: yesterday when i sold my 400mm, we used the other guy's 20d body to test. 400mm x1.6 = 640mm, and we got a full framing of somebody's head and shoulder candid and he was standing 20m away. (according to the distance info scale glass panel on the lens)

so if your digital body is 1.5x or 1.6x, u get back at least 600mm if u use 70-200 + 2x tc. (ie 1.5 x 200mm x2 = 600mm ) if u r using 1d then u get a slightly smaller image (500mm)

if u are sitting at the spectator stand then u will be 20m or more away from the cars on the track.
    if u are 60m away from the cars than u will get at best 1/9 of the frame (right in the centre of frame)

70-200 with stacked 2x and 1.4 will kill your image quality..not worth unless your lens its focal length can go up to 400mm in the first place , then u can stack 1.4x opon the 400mm eg 100-400L + 1.4x + 1.6 crop u get back 900mm but at f8. and with a slightly degraded quality. but the light should be good in the day..ISO 400 should give u shutter speed of 1/1000s at least.

Default Thanks User111

I forgot about mine D70 1.5X crop factor. As you mention with 2X TC my Tele will be equivalent to 600mm. I guess it should be just nice if my seat is at about 20 to 40m away from the race track.

For ISO wise, I'll not feel comfortable if I were to use above 400 for my Nikon D70. What do you think?

Hopefully on the race day the weather will be as bright as today.

Thanks again User111 for your advise.

From C2 u will need 200-300mm.

though slightly more range will be nice so that u can get whole car fill frame. But 300mm definately enough. Also u dun need super duper fast system to get shots as at C2 there is a S-curve where car "slow" down. Gd luck!

I will be looking to go races too. Anyone know of good 2-day tour packages?

Quote Originally Posted by bip916
    Thanks for the tips...

Your crop pic with B/W background is nice.
    I guess 200mm with 2X is barely enough. No choice this is the biggest TELE I have.
    What do you think if I stack the 2X & 1.4X TC with my 70~200mm lens will the pic quality be very bad?
    Please advice...

Hmmm sound recorder, is my Sony E k700 HP sound recorder gd enough?

Once again THANK YOU
    If you have a compact cam that can record video clip, that should be enough. Photos are good but there is nothing like a video clip to bring out the incredible sounds of the F1 cars.

I can send you a sample of the clips that I took with my cam. Just gimme your email address.
    There is no life without fast cars....

Quote Originally Posted by Miles
    From C2 u will need 200-300mm.

though slightly more range will be nice so that u can get whole car fill frame. But 300mm definately enough. Also u dun need super duper fast system to get shots as at C2 there is a S-curve where car "slow" down. Gd luck!

That's good news for me ... Thanks Miles.

My friend is in JB (Holiday Plaza) today to buy our 2 days tickets at RM$200 (S$87) and race day car park pass for S$28. We'll be driving there and staying at KL Concorde Hotel.
    Sorry Miles don't know any gd tour package.

BTW Thanks Miles

Quote Originally Posted by holeinone
    If you have a compact cam that can record video clip, that should be enough. Photos are good but there is nothing like a video clip to bring out the incredible sounds of the F1 cars.

I can send you a sample of the clips that I took with my cam. Just gimme your email address.
    Hi holeinone.... My e-mail address mbhisham@gmail.com

BTW which area you took the clip from?

Thanks in advance

yes, 70-200 with a TC plus the D70 crop is more than decent.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgaFlippinMan
    yes, 70-200 with a TC plus the D70 crop is more than decent.
    Thanks BurgaFlippinMan for the confirmation.

here also no idea about a package, but what I did:
    bought the tickets directly through the website of the circuit http://www.malaysiangp.com.my/
    and bought a cheap flight ticket with Air Asia, local transport with the infamous malaysian taxi drivers to get the real race experience!

Default Sepang F1 packages

Quote Originally Posted by Miles
    Hi Miles, You can refer to below site

Organiser
    wheel for fun

Tickets

packages