Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drying silica gel in microwave oven, oven still safe for food?

Quote Originally Posted by GReddyZC76

no not safe. used silical gel will oxidise and emit toxic when bake.
    Without sounding like a science nerd, how does it oxidize? Do you mean combustion or decomposition? Because as far as I can recall from my chemistry, the idea is just to remove the moisture, isn't it?

We have all handled anhydrous copper(II) cobalt before. It is a common reagent to test for the presence of water. It is carcinogenic, so I would think the question is if it would cause cancer if we eat the food that we microwave in the same oven later on right?

Or did I misunderstand?
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Thinking about it further, it is unlikely that Copper(II) Cobalt will oxidize, combust or decompose - it is an ionic compound, and is very stable.

It has a high melting point and even higher boiling point. So no fumes either.

Are we scaring ourselves? Hehe!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Default Re: Drying silica gel in microwave oven, oven still safe for food?

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Thinking about it further, it is unlikely that Copper(II) Cobalt will oxidize, combust or decompose - it is an ionic compound, and is very stable.
    Copper and Cobalt are both Transition Metals, why would they form any kind of ionic compound? Or do you mean Cobalt (II) Chloride and Copper (II) Chloride?
    EOS

Science lesson hur?

When materials come into contact, trace amount of each is deposited on each other. Hence, trace amount of any possible carcinogen or poison will be left in the microwave if u do put in there in the first place.

So now the question is, how much is poisonous or lethal? Also consider the fact that the physical environment increases the rate for the exchange to reach equilibrium I.e. high temperature and convecting medium speeds up the contamination.

So I would say, its not that safe. In any case, microwaved food is not exactly healthy to begin with.
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    Copper and Cobalt are both Transition Metals, why would they form any kind of ionic compound? Or do you mean Cobalt (II) Chloride and Copper (II) Chloride?
    Oops! Haha!

I meant to say Cobalt (II) chloride.

Guess I better call up MOE to return them my 'A' level Chemistry grade! Hahaha!
    Last edited by Blur Shadow; 9th October 2012 at 12:41 PM.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12