Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What wrong with my Photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimlee
    Haha...., Thanks for the counseling.

Just want to know if there is anything to improve my shot, never really take it to the ..haha... Thanks..
    sorry that i cant help much in yr pic as i not very good in techical.

Just try to shoot more in different ways.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by wingless84
    try bracketing your exposures. you're losing some shadow detail that may or may not contribute to the image, especially in the lower right and upper left corners. also, the highlight (as said before) is very harsh. also mentioned above is that your "1" is hard to see. I didn't even notice it at first glance.
    it could also be that the photoi editors are looking for more colour? personally i feel that your image is the stronger of the two, imho.

The problem with the A75 in manual mode is that it does not allow me to adjust exposure. Only AP and SP mode has an Exposure compensation setting. And i can't adjust both the shutter and aperture setting at this 2 mode.

If i am not wrong, to do bracketing, i have to set the EV to +1 or -1 manually take 3 shot of the same scence in AP or SP mode?

Is this the right way?

Thanks for your advise.
    Last edited by Kimlee; 16th February 2005 at 02:24 PM.

If i am not wrong, to do bracketing, i have to set the EV to +1 or -1 manually take 3 shot of the same scence in AP or SP mode?

Is this the right way?

Thanks for your advise.
    Yup, that's the way to do bracketing, some cameras can do auto bracketing and take the 3 shots with the different exposure values continuosly (like my S602Z)

Since we are on this topic, how about this - those interested can take pictures of about the same composition (ie. macro of a watch), post here and we comment. Perhaps we'll be able to learn something from one and another. Good idea?
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    Yup, that's the way to do bracketing, some cameras can do auto bracketing and take the 3 shots with the different exposure values continuosly (like my S602Z)

Since we are on this topic, how about this - those interested can take pictures of about the same composition (ie. macro of a watch), post here and we comment. Perhaps we'll be able to learn something from one and another. Good idea?
    Hi Hitman,

That is a very good idea.

Only AP and SP mode has an Exposure compensation setting to do bracketing. But i can't adjust both the shutter and aperture setting at this 2 mode.

Hi Hitman,

That is a very good idea.

Only AP and SP mode has an Exposure compensation setting to do bracketing. But i can't adjust both the shutter and aperture setting at this 2 mode.
    Thanks. At least I have something to do this evening, otherwise very boring after work cos I'm in a boring foreign country

I'm 5 hours behind you guys... will try to post something but that will be past midnight SG time liao...

Some tips at this new thread:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=116564
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    Thanks. At least I have something to do this evening, otherwise very boring after work cos I'm in a boring foreign country

I'm 5 hours behind you guys... will try to post something but that will be past midnight SG time liao...
    5 hours behind us?

Siberia?

IMHO i find the other picture stands out due to the background & coloured lighting. I think the judges will have already seen alot of similar pictures showing the face of the watch & were looking at something more different.
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

What wrong with my Photo?
    Perhaps a larger and softer light with a reflector at the left might help.

Remember that there is nothing wrong with our photos. There is something wrong with the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    5 hours behind us?

Siberia?
    Nope, I'm now in Riyadh - Capital of Saudi Arabia

The problem with the A75 in manual mode is that it does not allow me to adjust exposure. Only AP and SP mode has an Exposure compensation setting. And i can't adjust both the shutter and aperture setting at this 2 mode.

Is this the right way?

Thanks for your advise.
    I am a newbie, so might be wrong, if I really do, please correct me

In the cameras I have used (may be all? I don't know), exposure compensation is not available in M mode. Because you can just adjust the exposure manually, just take more shots 1 (or 1/3 or 2/3 as you see fit) stop lower or higher.

Exposure compensation is available in P/A/S mode because the camera is deciding the exposure for you and you need to tell the camera you want it more exposed or less. In M mode, you decide everything so there is no need to have this features.

Example:
    F-stop 16, shutter speed 1/60 +1EV
    Equals to
    F-stop 8, shutter speed 1/60 0EV
    or
    F-stop 16, shutter speed 1/30 0EV
    Also equals to
    F-stop 16, shutter speed 1/125 +2EV

So for example you want F-stop 16, shutter speed 1/60 +1EV
    you can just set
    F-stop 8, shutter speed 1/60 0EV
    or
    F-stop 16, shutter speed 1/30 0EV

It is my first post in the photography related opinion so please don't flame me and correct me if I am wrong.

Editted:

Sorry that does not answer the question.

If you want to bracket +/-1EV "F-stop 16, shutter speed 1/60"

Just take
    F-stop 16, shutter speed 1/125 (-1 EV)
    F-stop 16, shutter speed 1/60 (0 EV)
    F-stop 16, shutter speed 1/30 (+1 EV)
    Last edited by Daniel Nielson; 17th February 2005 at 02:25 AM.

Default My G-shock

This'll be my version.... Only cropping, resizing and some leveling done in photoshop, no other tweaks.
    Last edited by Hitman; 17th February 2005 at 05:32 AM.

I'm sorry, after the first 10 posts or so, it all seemed to get confused in 'tech-a-tik-tok' (sorry ahh... couldn't resist the punning challenge!).

I am no 'expert' in photog contests; I always tell friend who wish to enter' guess the best model contest' to pick the ones they think is worst as these models always seem to win top places, for some reason or another.

TICKING ...

Your shot was in mainly BLACK ... not something many locals would openly choose , despite the technical superiority of your shot.

TICKING ...

seems to convey a sense of 'urgency' as in like a time-bomb (even though almost NO local judge or photo critic would openly choose, if given a choice, to debate matters relating to anything closely related to cultural or even closely symbolic meanings) ...

the chosen photograph, drowned in a reddish hue seemed to convey a more 'desperate' sence of ... what, I am not exactly sure, but I am sure that the 'red hues' played an infulential part, to some extent or another.

Point is, a lot of local or regional photo contests are not just a technical challenge, but if one has an understanding of the backgrounds of the judges, cultural beliefs, concepts ... or misconceptions etc etc etc ... one may be able to 'tailor' a piece of work such that it might stand a better chance of winning.

Think of it as an approach to winning a business deal - one has to bear in mind WHO is going to be the ultimate' GOD' in such matters, as this would affect the way we, lesser folks, go about menial life.

... to be read and understood with a bucket of salt thrown over one's shoulders, at the risk of inevitable hypertension and inevitable stroke ...

Please forgive my atrocities in gramma, sentence structure and what haqve you; I make it a point never to mix work wif pleasure! HIC!
    Last edited by Feinwerkbau; 17th February 2005 at 05:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12