Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Digital size print HELP!

  1. #1
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default Digital size print HELP!

    I keep taking photographs but never learn anything about the technical aspect of digital size and printing size.

    So need some help here. I have a panoramic image of 9417  1900 pixels 300dpi. Would like to print within the size of 24" x 12", do you think it's feasible?

    Thanks for your time!

    - Saifuddin

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital size print HELP!

    DPI means dots per inch. So now it's basic maths:

    9417 / 300 = 31.39 (let's round down to 31)
    1900 / 300 = 6.333

    So let's (for example's sake) say you trim a bit off the height to make it exactly 6", then just print at 150 dpi. This will make it 12" high, but now it's over 62" wide! so you would need to heavily crop.

    So you're going to sacrifice some resolution and may need to use photoshop to interpolate or "trust" the print shop.

    If, on the other hand, you want to fit EVERYTHING in a 24x12, then you will have very large white borders top and bottom.
    Alpha

  3. #3
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    DPI means dots per inch. So now it's basic maths:

    9417 / 300 = 31.39 (let's round down to 31)
    1900 / 300 = 6.333

    So let's (for example's sake) say you trim a bit off the height to make it exactly 6", then just print at 150 dpi. This will make it 12" high, but now it's over 62" wide! so you would need to heavily crop.

    So you're going to sacrifice some resolution and may need to use photoshop to interpolate or "trust" the print shop.

    If, on the other hand, you want to fit EVERYTHING in a 24x12, then you will have very large white borders top and bottom.
    Thanks for the help man.

    Well I'm thinking of getting everything in a 24x12 and don't mind about the white border. But if the quality of the print resolution is good, I'm happy enough.

  4. #4
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Or maybe I should just go with 36x12.. Hmm

  5. #5

    Default Re: Digital size print HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by xsaifuddin View Post
    Thanks for the help man.

    Well I'm thinking of getting everything in a 24x12 and don't mind about the white border. But if the quality of the print resolution is good, I'm happy enough.
    It will be very sharp, but yeah, the height would be approx. 4.5-5" only, so you'll have about 3.5" space top and bottom.

    36x12 will be better, you can scale up the image and it will be about 7" high. If you use something like photoshop, you can use the empty space and fill it in with black (if it helps the image) add a picture title, etc.

    Would look something like this:

    Alpha

  6. #6
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

    It will be very sharp, but yeah, the height would be approx. 4.5-5" only, so you'll have about 3.5" space top and bottom.

    36x12 will be better, you can scale up the image and it will be about 7" high. If you use something like photoshop, you can use the empty space and fill it in with black (if it helps the image) add a picture title, etc.

    Would look something like this:
    Cool. My panorama image is actually a stitch of 4 images which explains the long width. Nevertheless, thanks a lot man..

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Digital size print HELP!

    before you make this print, you better find out how much a custom framing will cost, usually framing cost is much higher the then prints itself, and if you select certain frame mouldings, it cost even more than those using simple frame mouldings.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    before you make this print, you better find out how much a custom framing will cost, usually framing cost is much higher the then prints itself, and if you select certain frame mouldings, it cost even more than those using simple frame mouldings.
    Yeah I'm aware of the prices. Custom framing I did before it was about $50+ for an A2 size print. Not sure what is frame moldings but it's the simple black frame with inner border thingy white color.

  9. #9
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: Digital size print HELP!

    This is the sample image I'm planning to frame up.



    Got it selected for Highly Commendable CBRE Urban Photographer of the Year 2012, so that's why itchy to hang it up. haha

    But yeah, I'm fine if there is a large white border on the top and bottom. As long as can see some of the details and it's sharp on print, I happy already.

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Digital size print HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by xsaifuddin View Post
    Yeah I'm aware of the prices. Custom framing I did before it was about $50+ for an A2 size print. Not sure what is frame moldings but it's the simple black frame with inner border thingy white color.
    the frame mouldings is the strips of woods or metals with designs that to make photo or picture frame. the border make of mounting board (mat board) is call matt.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: Digital size print HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the frame mouldings is the strips of woods or metals with designs that to make photo or picture frame. the border make of mounting board (mat board) is call matt.
    Noted and thanks.

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Digital size print HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by xsaifuddin View Post
    This is the sample image I'm planning to frame up.



    Got it selected for Highly Commendable CBRE Urban Photographer of the Year 2012, so that's why itchy to hang it up. haha

    But yeah, I'm fine if there is a large white border on the top and bottom. As long as can see some of the details and it's sharp on print, I happy already.
    congrats.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: Digital size print HELP!

    Thank you boss.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •