Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: amateur dinner wedding shoot rates.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    most wedding couples need to be inform (educated) the important of wedding day photography, but if the photographers themself are not really understand these, who is there to educate them? and what can we expect?

wedding couples don't care, photographers don't care too, both will get what they want, isn't it everybody happy??

than why are we so kpo?? lol
    I think it's because as photographers we have the integrity to want to make sure the bride is happy and that the photog does a good job and gets paid - even if it's not us.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

Default Re: amateur dinner wedding shoot rates.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    usually it's "the photographer got what he wanted ($$)" and "the couple didn't get what they wanted (crappy photos)"

Usually is the photographer got what he thinks he wanted ... and couple get what they asked for (with or without knowing)...

after a few years, the photographer will burn out and disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Usually is the photographer got what he thinks he wanted ... and couple get what they asked for (with or without knowing)...

after a few years, the photographer will burn out and disappear.
    Those kind of 'photographer' usually gets what they wanted - 1 day of fun and fame playing the wedding photographer - the better ones stop at that after getting their cheap thrill, the boasty ones get bragging rights that they had 'shot a wedding' and the nasty ones suddenly became the 'expert' and give their opinion and criteques on all their friends' wedding, some start to criteque the pros portfolio on clubsnap gallery.

Indeed it is a lot of fun and excitement for them - left hand D4 right hand D800, shirt wear black black, hair gelled wet wet.

After the 16 hour wedding and 4000 pictures later, overwhelmed by the tiredness and sheer volume, Monday have to go back to work, normal life resumes. Can they shoot 3 weddings a week end? Of course not, most can't even shoot the next weekend. Very soon, interest level and enthusiasm gone, but responsibility doesn't diminish.

Weeks becomes months, bad pictures, are sadly, still bad pictures.

Come to delivery, suddenly shirt cannot wear black black, hair cannot gel wet wet, coz the groom face black black, and the bride's eyes wet wet.

Congratulations, wedding photographer.

And the cycle repeats.

how come bro Jason become so poetic? lol
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by ducky88
    Hi brother sister. My friend is keen to ask me help her shoot for her wedding. She had view my portfolio therefore she ask me about it. I however I'm not sure how much shoot I charge as I'm first time doing it. Any advice & how much should I charge? Thanks.

Wedding night w tea ceremony(picking up bride):
    Wedding photoshoot:
    It's ez to calculate. Factor your transport cost first, then your man-hours cost. And DON'T forget the man-hours for post processing photos.

U should read up the 10001 threads on this in CS.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    how come bro Jason become so poetic? lol
    Must be all the pain welled up inside...

Seriously, TS if you need to ask that question, I say charge them $1 because its obvious the bride is looking for a cheap deal and you sir, are it! Not forgetting the fact that you have ZERO experience whatsoever. But then again you feel you are damn experienced in shooting leh, so what can we say?

For my AD I went to a proven photographer because I wanted my wife to enjoy the process after the pre-wedding shots came out, pardon for my language, crap! And that is done by the bridal studio's partner photographer, who has had all the time in the world to plan the shots, unlike an AD photographer.

Do you think you can cope with the pressure of AD photography? Only YOU can answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB

Those kind of 'photographer' usually gets what they wanted - 1 day of fun and fame playing the wedding photographer - the better ones stop at that after getting their cheap thrill, the boasty ones get bragging rights that they had 'shot a wedding' and the nasty ones suddenly became the 'expert' and give their opinion and criteques on all their friends' wedding, some start to criteque the pros portfolio on clubsnap gallery.

Indeed it is a lot of fun and excitement for them - left hand D4 right hand D800, shirt wear black black, hair gelled wet wet.

After the 16 hour wedding and 4000 pictures later, overwhelmed by the tiredness and sheer volume, Monday have to go back to work, normal life resumes. Can they shoot 3 weddings a week end? Of course not, most can't even shoot the next weekend. Very soon, interest level and enthusiasm gone, but responsibility doesn't diminish.

Weeks becomes months, bad pictures, are sadly, still bad pictures.

Come to delivery, suddenly shirt cannot wear black black, hair cannot gel wet wet, coz the groom face black black, and the bride's eyes wet wet.

Congratulations, wedding photographer.

And the cycle repeats.

This is funny ... I like ur quote ..

When my friends ask me to help in any event shoots, I will usually ask them to go look for a professional photographer, who definitely will do a much much much better job than me. Owning a DSLR does not make me a pro. I do not want to have any chance of messing up the event shots.

However I will volunteer to participate in the event, and maybe take some candid shots and pass to them FOC if possible. No pressure and I get to enjoy the event too
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post
    When my friends ask me to help in any event shoots, I will usually ask them to go look for a professional photographer, who definitely will do a much much much better job than me. Owning a DSLR does not make me a pro. I do not want to have any chance of messing up the event shots.

However I will volunteer to participate in the event, and maybe take some candid shots and pass to them FOC if possible. No pressure and I get to enjoy the event too

Couldn't agree more..let the professional do their job...we do not wish to see another episode of wedding nightmare.

You can just tag behind as a backup photographer if you are not comfortable. but if the couple insist you to do it, then gotta let them know you are doing your best. Charge them Taxi and kopi $ can liao.

I think if the couple asked the TS already it's quite obvious they are not looking for professional photographers, coz if they hire pro already where got need to still ask the TS? And pay for the pro plus pay TS Angbao? Easier to just drop TS the red bomb and receive Angbao from TS instead.

So TS can just shoot if he want or don't shoot if he don't want. Whether he wants to charge is always a difficult decision to make in such situations because of so many factors of legality, responsibility and morality involving both sides. How much to charge becomes the next difficult decision. How not to mess up is another big uncertainty.

All need to be said had been said, and countless other past threads too. See you all on the next similar thread next month!
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post

All need to be said had been said, and countless other past threads too. See you all on the next similar thread next month!

to be very frank, to most photographers, especially newbies, shoot a wedding is very tempting................ irresistible............. until you screw up big time, or met a bride from hell.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    to be very frank, to most photographers, especially newbies, shoot a wedding is very tempting................ irresistible............. until you screw up big time, or met a bride from hell.
    All brides are from hell on their wedding day! Haha!!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Not all, I've met brides from hell also, but I've also met couples who let their coordinator deals with almost everything and they just look angelic.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky88
    Hi brother sister. My friend is keen to ask me help her shoot for her wedding. She had view my portfolio therefore she ask me about it. I however I'm not sure how much shoot I charge as I'm first time doing it. Any advice & how much should I charge? Thanks.

Wedding night w tea ceremony(picking up bride):
    Wedding photoshoot:
    TS, shooting an AD Wedding is not a peanut task. A lot of unknown things will pop up, it won't be as smooth as u think it could be. I did help a few friends to shoot on their AD wedding before out of good will. It's very stressful for a person without much experience on AD wedding. Lucky things is tat I set their expectation low and being very honest with them tat I m not pro but I will try my very best to capture every moment I can. As for charges.. I juz told them a Ang bao will do as a trade off to gain or learn. So I would say if u really want to try is a good things but make sure they know ur standard and if u really want to charges as a semi pro or a pro than u make sure u know ur own standard coz AD wedding can't repeat again. Tis is my 2cent of advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post

not necessarily true. i am a wedding vendor (flowers) and some brides are a delight to work with . it's all about managing expectations .
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123