Thread: Swipe and Smoke

Default Swipe and Smoke

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Q. In what area is the critique to be sought?

I am interested in creating better B W pictures. therefore, can i get comments about my B & W?. Also, I am new to street photography. Any comments that i can get in order to have taken a better shot of this subject?

Q. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I hope that people will get be reminded of the 'craziness' of life here in singapore.

Q. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

The man is a delivery man and was taking a break after unloading a few goods from his lorry nearby.

Q. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I like the composition of the picture and also the man's action.
    Last edited by zaren; 5th October 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Yunus, I feel the framing could be tighter. The bicycle could be excluded and go in more to show what your subject is focusing on and capture a closer look of your subject. As it is, I feel there are quite a lot of elements in your shot, which doesn't really add much value to the context thus could be excluded altogether. I feel also that it could be more contrasty. I always hold the opinion that black and white images should be more contrasty.

I found my eyes scanning at the stools and black arm chair and the table.this could be avoided if you exclude them or make your subject more prominent. In my humble opinion, in street photography, sometimes less is more. Compositionally, u could strive to minimalise what you include into your frame. Even if you wish to add context to your shot, i would not include so many elements. Hope that helps.

Bing Dun
    Last edited by nitewalk; 5th October 2012 at 12:58 AM.

Default Re: Swipe and Smoke

It's a very clear feeling that there is a story behind the photo, esp. with B&W.
    On the other hand, I feel like the main target of photo is not clear enough, as there are too many distraction.

Agree with the composition problems. Subject matter is too dull imo. Not a bad start to street photography. Learn not to fall into the trappings of street photography cliches and try to be more confident and brave with regards to getting close to your subject. Content and form makes the picture.

Bing Dun, your opinions definitely helped me. I totally agree with your feedbacks. I was really hoping that the area was 'clear' so that the man is the subject. I find that the challenge in street photography is capturing and focusing on one subject only.

Any advice on how to overcome that?

Is it possible that you explain or show me an example of what you mean by the term 'contrasty'?

Thanks,

Yunus
    Capture Senses In Lenses. Even the silly little moments.

JGHan, thanks for the encouragement. In your opinion, what are the cliches that are common in street photography? I have to admit it is tough getting close to subjects. Any advice on managing this? I learnt some on the tube and it was said that we have to strike up conversations. Sounds easy but, its hard to do actually.

Thanks,
    Yunus

robinlxz, I agree that the picture is cluttered. I guess it boils down to my confidence in getting close to the subject. Thanks for your opinion robinlxz

Thanks,
    Yunus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yunus Sunanwi View Post
    Bing Dun, your opinions definitely helped me. I totally agree with your feedbacks. I was really hoping that the area was 'clear' so that the man is the subject. I find that the challenge in street photography is capturing and focusing on one subject only.

Any advice on how to overcome that?

Is it possible that you explain or show me an example of what you mean by the term 'contrasty'?

Thanks,

Yunus
    If you have shot in RAW and still have the RAW file, I could help you on that. I normally deal with the black and white aspect of the shot in RAW editing in photoshop. There is a blacks slider and contrast slider under the basic section. I normally play with that. Plus I would play with the dark and shadow sliders in Tone Curve section. PM me if you would like me to work on your RAW file.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    If you have shot in RAW and still have the RAW file, I could help you on that. I normally deal with the black and white aspect of the shot in RAW editing in photoshop. There is a blacks slider and contrast slider under the basic section. I normally play with that. Plus I would play with the dark and shadow sliders in Tone Curve section. PM me if you would like me to work on your RAW file.
    Thank You Bing Dun...you have been a big help !

Blog Entries

I cannot see your picture.