Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Photo Journey - OLYMPUS E-PL5 *New Photos Added 29 Oct 12*

Default Re: A Photo Journey - OLYMPUS E-PL5

Dear member thedaniel, we're not the manufacturer, nor the distribution factor nor agent, so we're afraid that we can't help you with regards to availability in SG.

One thing for sure though, it's a camera worth waiting for!

There have been many discussions about the E-PL5 vs the OM-D and members here should really read them!

I've started to streamline some 'standards' so that members can have a visual idea on camera comparison, and in this case, it's the Marina Bay Area.

If you look back at some of my other reviews like this http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/revie...s-story-2.html, you should be able to draw some kind of comparison.

The Photos

Please NOTE that the evening I shot this area, it was significantly cloudier/ and slightly more misty, so do factor that in mind.

The wide angle shots were taken with a Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens, hammered together like this:

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 18th October 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Personally, and this is for me individually, but with all these new Hi-ISO cameras and stabilized lenses, I try to do hand-held tests. Needless to say, proper breathing and positioning technique is a must.

These were taken with the Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S

70mm equivalent, with lens OIS on, 1/30 ISO 3200

I wanted to test the lens' OIS to the MAX, and I decided to drop down to ISO 400 for the most part, with the exception
    of two other shots which were 'grab' shots'. Anyway, ISOs are indicated for your convenience.

200mm equivalent, with lens OIS on, 1/6 ISO 400

70mm equivalent, with lens OIS on, 1/6 ISO 400

200mm equivalent, with lens OIS on, 1/6 ISO 400

I was tired, so I didn't try to go down to 200mm with a slower shutter speed, but on the whole, these shots should be a testimony to the effectiveness of the Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 18th October 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Couple of Grab shots, showing the beautiful rendering of both optics and the sensor/processors!

70mm equivalent, lens OIS on, 1/320 ISO 5000

94mm equivalent, lens OIS on, 1/100 ISO 2500

OK, here's a swinger! I shot one of these photos at ISO 200, and the other at ISO 3200. I'm talking about NORMAL everyday applications! I don't think anyone really pulls out and stares at a 32" HD monitor at 100% at a cafe when sharing photos with friends! But if you do, then you might still appreciate how nicely the E-PL5 renders higher ISO shots!

This demonstrates how well the new E-PL5 handles higher ISO! See if you can tell which is which without checking exifs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Dear member thedaniel, we're not the manufacturer, nor the distribution factor nor agent, so we're afraid that we can't help you with regards to availability in SG.

One thing for sure though, it's a camera worth waiting for!

There have been many discussions about the E-PL5 vs the OM-D and members here should really read them!

I've started to streamline some 'standards' so that members can have a visual idea on camera comparison, and in this case, it's the Marina Bay Area.

If you look back at some of my other reviews like this http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/revie...s-story-2.html, you should be able to draw some kind of comparison.

Please NOTE that the evening I shot this area, it was significantly cloudier/ and slightly more misty, so do factor that in mind.

The wide angle shots were taken with a Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens, hammered together like this:

[/CENTER]
    Thanks for replying. Since you have the special privilege to access and test the equipments before all of us. You may have some inside infomation before us.
    As I wil be going for holiday by end of Nov, was planning to bring EPL-5, 35-100mm and GH3.

Right now, the best chance is EPL-5 which I hope will reach here before I left. If it really only be here only in Dec, I may plan to get it online.
    35-100mm still not release and not sure it will be here by end of next month. I was consdering getting XE-1 but it is because of 35-100mm lens, I decided to stick with m43. No manufacture at the moment can produce lens this small and light with this focal length and aperture.
    GH3 don't have a review set for clubsnap yet which means it is still a long way to go. So I give up on this one.

But great result from EPL-5 and 35-100mm.
    GM1,GX7,EPL5,GH2,GX1,EPM1 | 7.5FE | 7-14 | 12-35 | 35-100 | 20 | 14-42(x3)| 45 f2.8 | 45-200

Blog Entries

yes, we're still waiting for the GH3 review set to be available
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

A dealer checked for me and said the E-PL 5 should be in next week. I m also excited about it after going thru the review above. Thanks ed9119 and dream merchant. The 35-100mm also should be in anytime and will probably cost abt 2k.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAPDINER View Post
    A dealer checked for me and said the E-PL 5 should be in next week. I m also excited about it after going thru the review above. Thanks ed9119 and dream merchant. The 35-100mm also should be in anytime and will probably cost abt 2k.
    Great news...gonna call my regular shop to try to reserve in advance.

Just a quick post at the beginning of the week to whet the appetite, especially for those thinking of getting, or those already decided to get the E-PL5! This is just a stop-gap while more review photos will be coming in the later part of the week.

Beautiful, sleek and quite suave, with a sensor that can kill at High ISOs!!!

The seductive, 3 inch, 460, 000 dot 16:9 Aspect Ratio LCD Screen!

Which tilts all the way up to 170 degrees to ensure total self-portrait ease!

A 'Clean' shot of the rear layout.

The devil is in the details! A raised, finely-etched shutter button means not having to install 3rd party soft-shutter buttons.

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 23rd October 2012 at 12:24 AM.

The E-PL5, with the tiltable LCD and touch-screen super fast AF/release shutter is well-suited for shooting streets and candids!

Here are just some quick exposures.

All these shots were taken with the Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. Please NOTE that vignetting has been added in post.

Shot with the Super Fast AF and release shutter Touch-Screen

Bokeh, Bokeh, where are you?

Interesting Wooden Phone Holders!

Where's mah Kebab???

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 26th October 2012 at 06:45 PM.

Always of service ...

A Slice of Heaven!

Here's Lookin' at you, Kid!

Yet another camera to consider. Thanks.

LITTLE INDIA

Little India is an ethnic neighbourhood found in Singapore that has Tamil cultural elements and aspects of other cultures. Little India lies to east of the Singapore River—across from Chinatown, located west of the river—and north of Kampong Glam. Both areas are part of the urban planning area of Rochor. Little India is more commonly known as Tekka in the local Tamil community.

Serangoon Road is the main commercial thoroughfare in Little India. It intersects Rochor Canal Road and Bukit Timah Sungei Road. Along Serangoon Road is the Tekka Centre, the Tekka Mall, the Little India Arcade, Serangoon Plaza, and the Mustafa Centre (on a side-road). Farrer Park Fields is located in the district. Several Hindu temples, mosques, and other place of worship include Foochow Methodist Church, Kampong Kapor Methodist Church, Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple, Angullia Mosque, Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple, Jalan Mosque, and the Central Sikh Gurdwara. The Abdul Gafoor Mosque, built in 1859 and named after a Tamil lawyer's clerk, features Arabian- and Renaissance-style architecture. Its prayer hall, decorated with Moorish arch-work, displays a tableau featuring the history of the Islamic religion. The Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple, along Serangoon Road, features a high gopuram (tower), and was built in 1855. The Buddhist Sakyamuni Buddha Gaya Temple, also along Serangoon Road, originally established by Thai monk Vuthisasara in 1927. - Little India, Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Little India has always offered many great photographic opportunities! Both it's cityscape and denizens have much to offer, and if you sit and chat a bit with the people, you will usually find many fascinating stories!

One of the things that immediately strike you is the riot of colours! Especially the fresh produce! It seems like the fresh vegetables represent the colours of LIFE itself!

B&W photos will follow.

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

Many interesting characters abound.

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

Part of the festive wares offered during the Deepavali Bazaar

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

The screaming colours of a vegetable mart

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

And one of the cleanest facades I've seen here!

Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8

A Jungle Safari in Little India!

Can't imagine Little India without it's posters!

CCTV lens

Commute

CCTV lens

Buddha guarding the Back Lane

CCTV lens

Marching

Olympus 14-42 MkII kit lens

The next installation will be the B&W photos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12