Thread: question on the hand grip strap or smthing like that...

Default question on the hand grip strap or smthing like that...

hi clubsnappers... well i'm a newbie and recently got myself a film SLR but i think the neck strap is pretty uncomfortable. I saw some photographers having this strap just covering their fingers on their camera.
    Pardon me for my ignorance but i really don't know what it is do you call this thing the handgrip or smthing?
    Can all cameras have this strap? (well coz i think it feels better with this grip)
    and how much is one and where can i get them?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Mine is called a Nikon AH-4
    I think that that was a MO going on for one earlier on.

Yes... It's AH-4, cost around $100... can get it at CP, Max Photo...

Quote Originally Posted by Climber
    hi clubsnappers... well i'm a newbie and recently got myself a film SLR but i think the neck strap is pretty uncomfortable. I saw some photographers having this strap just covering their fingers on their camera.
    Pardon me for my ignorance but i really don't know what it is do you call this thing the handgrip or smthing?
    Can all cameras have this strap? (well coz i think it feels better with this grip)
    and how much is one and where can i get them?

Thanks in advance.
    Not all camera able to use the strap.

lottsa brands out there..... a handgrip should fit most if not all slrs that dun have vertical grip attached...... as long as the tripod mount is there it can be used....

hakuba.... the nikon one..... else there are the no brand ones that i tink also serve the same purpose that are sold in like TCW at $30 a piece...

cheers climber...

Or, you can DIY. One mans meat anothers possion. Not everybody likes it. It took my DIY hand strap for D60 simply because my D60 cant sit flat on its bottom.

1) Sometime when I need a longer shutter speed but I didnt want to set up tripod as there is a flat surface I can use, but because the strap causes the camera to rock, I have no choice but to set it up.

2) It does get abit warm because of the padding.

3) It slows you down if if you want to use the vertical hand grip when shooting in protriat mode (especially very irretating if you need to constantly switch between landscape and protrait mode).

On the other hand,

1) It does make it feel comfortable to hold the camera when not sling around your neck.

2) It gives those photog with sweaty palm a boost of confident when handcarrying the camera. more so it you are talking about pro camera + 70-200 f2.8 lens + flash.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Blog Entries

And it looks kewl as well.

about point 3: just turn the camera and not your hand. holding the camera via the vertical grip looks silly.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    And it looks kewl as well.

about point 3: just turn the camera and not your hand. holding the camera via the vertical grip looks silly.
    I dont think it looks silly holding the vertical grip. Most mordern intermediate & pro level SLR/DSLR, comes with it (either seperate attachement ot integrated into the body).

I dont think all camera makers (N, C, KM, P, F etc) will design something thats not usefull or somthing silly looking when photog uses it, especially pro level camera. Right?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.