Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is it true that nikon lens selection for FX is not as wide as Canon?

Default Re: is it true that nikon lens selection for FX is not as wide as Canon?

TS not responding.

Quote Originally Posted by song
    Hi guys,

I am jumping camp from canon to nikon. I sort of feel that nikon lens selection is not as wide as canon. is this the case or i am not knowing enough? Just curious: what are the usual reasons for canon people to junk their canon system and embrace nikon? I just like to see what are the reasons so as to be sure it is not a moment of impulse.

thanks
    song
    My reason for moving from canon to Nikon is that I finally can afford Nikon..
    Canon is more affordable to start with..
    life is but a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion

I thought basic set both brands also about the same price?? E.g entry level camera, kit lens and 50mm f1.8?
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

Default Re: is it true that nikon lens selection for FX is not as wide as Canon?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post
    I thought basic set both brands also about the same price?? E.g entry level camera, kit lens and 50mm f1.8?
    No, no the 50mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    Really? That's an interesting observation.
    Could u elaborate?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion

Nikon D3100 / D3200 is about the same price range as the Canon 1000D / 1100D, isn't it?
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    TS not responding.
    Well his nick is " Song " , so you go figure it out ....

Using Canon for +5 years, sometimes I feel I want to switch camp; go to Nikon or Sony.
    But then I rationalized that that's what I want not what I need (or sometimes because people around you).
    What I can't get from Canon, I get from 3rd party; simple.

** OK, now I want a D600 **
    400D(RIP) | 50D | Sigma 12-24 F4.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-70 F2.8 HSM | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM | NEX 5N+18-55

Oh, about "wider" lenses selection; even currently I doesn't need any of them. So, it's pointless for me
    400D(RIP) | 50D | Sigma 12-24 F4.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-70 F2.8 HSM | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM | NEX 5N+18-55

How about auto ISO? Do both system have the same AUTO ISO settings able to set minimum shutter speed and Max ISO range? There should be some difference one have and other don't. Pls share if you know.
    To me Nikon colour has more punch and Canon more nature tone, depend which you prefer out of the cam. Of cos you can pp but I'm not into much of pp person because don't know
    Flash I like Nikon more consistent much better than Canon. I used to think Canon L lens is very expensive the very good f1.2 , Nikon lens are cheaper like f1.4, but now Nikon lens price went up alot with the nano coating, not cheap either. Both hv 24-70mm f2.8, Nikon has advantage in IQ but we pay alot more for the build and the heavy weight. Both systems have their pro and con so we are using the whole system not only individual new camera body. Nikon D700, D600 Fx body come with inbuild flash and Canon FF 5D mk1-3 don't, some love it but some hate them, some go for Canon or Nikon as their friends use Canon or Nikon allowing them to share lens. We all have our reasons and if you don't have a strong reasons to convince yourself to switch system then don't change until you beh tahan you will know what to do. My wedding photographer changed 4times that I know of, I didn't contact him for past 2yrs maybe he change again hahaha. I'm not good in writing, just share my opinion not against anyone,.
    Nikon D600 N35f2, N50f1.4, N24-120f4, Tokina 20-35f2.8, SB900,

Many people say buy "this" system becos can share lens, in reality, how often it happens?

Most beginner started with kits lens and complaint their lens are too short and they need more zoom. As they are more into photography most of them go for wider and wider lens. Their longer zoom is mostly in cabinet. True?
    Last edited by STTNP; 5th October 2012 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STTNP
    Most beginner started with kits lens and complaint their lens are too short and they need more zoom. As they are more into photography most of them go for wider and wider lens. True?
    I'm one of them keke

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton
    Many people say buy "this" system becos can share lens, in reality, how often it happens?
    Only if they go shooting together if not should be less than GST 7% hahaha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by STTNP View Post
    How about auto ISO? Do both system have the same AUTO ISO settings able to set minimum shutter speed and Max ISO range? There should be some difference one have and other don't. Pls share if you know.
    To me Nikon colour has more punch and Canon more nature tone, depend which you prefer out of the cam. Of cos you can pp but I'm not into much of pp person because don't know
    Flash I like Nikon more consistent much better than Canon. I used to think Canon L lens is very expensive the very good f1.2 , Nikon lens are cheaper like f1.4, but now Nikon lens price went up alot with the nano coating, not cheap either. Both hv 24-70mm f2.8, Nikon has advantage in IQ but we pay alot more for the build and the heavy weight. Both systems have their pro and con so we are using the whole system not only individual new camera body. Nikon D700, D600 Fx body come with inbuild flash and Canon FF 5D mk1-3 don't, some love it but some hate them, some go for Canon or Nikon as their friends use Canon or Nikon allowing them to share lens. We all have our reasons and if you don't have a strong reasons to convince yourself to switch system then don't change until you beh tahan you will know what to do. My wedding photographer changed 4times that I know of, I didn't contact him for past 2yrs maybe he change again hahaha. I'm not good in writing, just share my opinion not against anyone,.
    Canon's Auto ISO is more "auto", where you can only set the Max ISO.
    Nikon's Auto ISO is more controllable with settings like minimum shutter speed, base ISO, and max ISO.

With regards to color rendition, that is a moot point nowadays. I can easily get Nikon color, or Canon colors, or Leica colors easily in Post.

As for lenses, there are winners and losers on each side. There are also legends and fails on each side.

Even for the 24-70, Nikon's IQ is better than Canon's, but Canon's is cheaper. But the game has changed with Canon's mark2 where it yields better IQ than Nikon but comes at a higher price. So you can't say Nikon gives better IQ, or Canon's lenses are cheaper. Some Canon lens are cheaper, but some are more expensive. Some Nikon lens give better IQ, but some Canon lens give better IQ too...

in the end, it comes down to the photographer. which system meets his/her needs more... and good pictures comes from the photographer, not the gear.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 5th October 2012 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STTNP

Only if they go shooting together if not should be less than GST 7% hahaha
    Haha yeah. I started with Canon thinking that I can share lens, but over the years only happened once. Now I am the odd one out among my peers who are in photography. They are all C side.

Well. IMO. Why would u want to know or care if which camp (include other brand as well) have more lens or variety. Unless you telling us you going to buy everything?

To be realistic, you should be only look for the lens you would buy ie the one you will use. If that camp has it. Good enough. Logical?

And seriously.. people dont jump camp just because whoever has got the more number of lenses.. thats really strange.

Most beginner started with kits lens and complaint their lens are too short and they need more zoom. As they are more into photography most of them go for wider and wider lens. Their longer zoom is mostly in cabinet. True?
    Can be true and also can be not true. It all depends on the individual..what kind of genre he/she decide to settle on or what does they prefer after "trying" out.

On the other hand i will say most beginner (especially those who can afford) will want to buy more or even think about getting more as soon they got their camera with kit lens.Tell me..how many would really just settle for a kit lens and nv think of anything else? Not many.

Blog Entries

That is totally not true.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    That is totally not true.
    +1

I don't care wide or long, now I'm collecting prime
    already in my hand:
    * Sigma 50f1.4 and 85f1.4 for C
    * Sony 35f1.8, 50 f1.8 -> poor man's prime
    Plan to buy:
    * Sony CZ 135 f1.8 for Alpha

For zoom, maybe I'll sell all my zoom and buy 28-300 from Nikon (who knows I'll end's maintaining 3 systems)
    (currently own 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200 L f4 from Canon, and 18-250 from Sony)

I'm a portrait guy...
    Attacked by BnB virus - Alpha & EOS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast